stroker
stroker New Reader
10/19/08 5:45 p.m.

Anyone able to give an opinion on the Ford Freestyle vs the new Subuaru Forester? Or perhaps the '02 to '07 Forester? I sat in both and the Freestyle seemed much more plush that the Forester (which was very spartan by comparison), but the overriding issue is whether I can fit in the damned thing at 6' 4" and big. I had the impression that the Subaru would be a better daily driver but the Freestyle would be the choice for a long Interstate drive.

Thoughts?

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
10/20/08 10:00 a.m.

I'd look at the Subaru if I were you. Ford changed the name of the Freestyle to Taurus X and that vehicle will soon be discontinued. That fact means that whatever kind of deal you get on one you're probably paying too much. Aside from that the Freestyle used an underpowered 3.0 litre V6 mated to either a CVT or six speed automatic. At least you can get a stick shift turbo Forrester with some resale value.

akamcfly
akamcfly New Reader
10/20/08 11:51 a.m.

we were looking at the same choice and happened across another alternative.

polarizing? yeah, I guess.

Check out an 06 or 07 Dodge Magnum SXT (3.5v6 5speed auto). More room than the forrester, nicer looking and more ergonomic controls than the freestyle (the multi stalk switch thing in the freestyle is whaaaa?). Decent gas mileage at ~28mpg highway too.

front engine, rear wheel drive 4 wheel independent suspension roomy - it has legroom like silly 250 hp is plenty peppy

We like ours as the "family trukster", grocery getter, lumber wagon, canoe hauler.......

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
10/20/08 12:18 p.m.

Having owned 3 Foresters, I'm a bit biased, but my wife's current '04 XS is my fave. I recently pulled an all nighter after a 14 hour shift to drive the fam up to NEFR, and I felt better climbing out of the car after the 6 hour trek than I did falling into it. Seems to be an all purpose car; city traffic, long haul highway trips, simple offroading, it does it all, and pretty well. Needs a bigger rear swaybar, a round of bushings, and some real tires though.

As for headroom, you should be ok. My brother is ~6'5" and fits without an issue, despite our sunroof.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Hut2G4ZUjV1kJ2udLqFVcLqRkX5EmRay9fWMv59teTnIkXtkqyTNDvRxuICll6n