1 2 3 4
dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
12/13/11 11:12 p.m.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

It's gonna become my new DD after i find out why it quit running ( i suspect fuel pump) and resolve the electrical drain (I believe to be the alternator) even better.... the price $300!!!!! 102,500 original miles :-D

Luke
Luke UberDork
12/14/11 12:20 a.m.

Man, Mazda/Ford really got their use out of that engine in the late '80s/early '90s.

Sweet Probe. I reckon that's actually a better looking car than the MX6. Very retro-futuristic.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/14/11 12:55 a.m.
I reckon that's actually a better looking car than the MX6.

I spy in my crystal ball this being the minority opinion.

Congrats on purchase, let us know when you find the problem and test out tha boost.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
12/14/11 12:57 a.m.

Its got a boost controller on it, so I'm hoping to find a chipped ECU also....

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/14/11 6:32 a.m.

Nice. I love the spaceship styling. And of course the turbo goodness.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/14/11 6:42 a.m.

I think that engine can be fitted to a Miata . . .

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
12/14/11 7:26 a.m.

Ooh pop up headlights hatchback goodness! An '89? I prefer that front end than the later first gens... nice find. Here in CA, Every now and then 1st gen Probe GTs pops out on CL... rarely MX6s and 626 GTs.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/14/11 7:32 a.m.
ZOO wrote: I think that engine can be fitted to a Miata . . .

You have my interest.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
12/14/11 7:36 a.m.
Vigo wrote:

My magic 8 ball says the OP is correct and you sir are seriously wrong.

Can you get an LSD ofr these things or are they just an inside tire destroying device when boost is added?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/11 7:48 a.m.

$300. I just spent more than that on a lawnmower. And it doesn't have a turbo...yet.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
12/14/11 7:51 a.m.

Nice find on that 89 GT, makes me miss the one I had, it was a fun car.

Adrian, mine didn't have too much issue with inside tire spin. It could do it pretty easy if you wanted, but it didn't do it all the time. I had more issue with wheel hop in a straight line, but the shocks & suspension were worn on mine (180,000+ miles on them).

You can ask Slefain how much fun it was, I got it from him.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
12/14/11 8:07 a.m.

Jeez, you did better than me! I got my 88 mx6 GT for the princely sum of 400$, though yours is in better shape. Mine ran tho. As far as that electrical issue, check out the door switches as well. That seems to be the culprit in my car.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
12/14/11 8:20 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Vigo wrote:
My magic 8 ball says the OP is correct and you sir are seriously wrong. Can you get an LSD ofr these things or are they just an inside tire destroying device when boost is added?

MFactory makes one for a reasonable price.

Once boost is upped.... how do you tell which tire is the inside tire when you're going in a straight line? 2nd gear traction doesn't really happen.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/14/11 8:25 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
You have my interest.

Anywhere an F2T fits, an FE3 fits. (Strong as hell 2.0 DOHC)

Soo... vice versa.

FE3 swaps have been done in Miatas.

I'm always looking for a solid miata with a blown motor. Huge flares would be required to get enough rubber under the car to actually get my motor to hook, but i'm ok with that.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
12/14/11 8:33 a.m.

It fit in another Mazda as well... My Mx-3 has a F2T in it too... With a lil work ;)

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
12/14/11 8:35 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: $300. I just spent more than that on a lawnmower. And it doesn't have a turbo...yet.

I just spent more than that on shocks I could've had another 80's mobile

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/14/11 9:10 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
You have my interest.
Anywhere an F2T fits, an FE3 fits. (Strong as hell 2.0 DOHC) Soo... vice versa. FE3 swaps have been done in Miatas. I'm always looking for a solid miata with a blown motor. Huge flares would be required to get enough rubber under the car to actually get my motor to hook, but i'm ok with that.

iirc, the issue with putting an F2T into a RWD arrangement is with the location of the distributor, which usually interferes with the firewall. so if you were to put an f2t into a miata, you'd have to run some sort of standalone spark management that didn't use the disty.

otoh, i hear the FE3 loves boost and loves to rev.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/11 9:14 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'm always looking for a solid miata with a blown motor. Huge flares would be required to get enough rubber under the car to actually get my motor to hook, but i'm ok with that.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/2697114192.html

He has another ad for the same car for $1300, claims no rust.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/14/11 11:26 a.m.

Nice buy. I always thought these were good looking cars.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/14/11 11:32 a.m.
Strizzo wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
You have my interest.
Anywhere an F2T fits, an FE3 fits. (Strong as hell 2.0 DOHC) Soo... vice versa. FE3 swaps have been done in Miatas. I'm always looking for a solid miata with a blown motor. Huge flares would be required to get enough rubber under the car to actually get my motor to hook, but i'm ok with that.
iirc, the issue with putting an F2T into a RWD arrangement is with the location of the distributor, which usually interferes with the firewall. so if you were to put an f2t into a miata, you'd have to run some sort of standalone spark management that didn't use the disty. otoh, i hear the FE3 loves boost and loves to rev.

Or just cut a hole in the firewall for the disty.

Or swap to a Bongo head, which is a 12v head set up for RWD already that bolts on.

Or run a B2200 8v head which will still make plenty of power to spin the Miata into any given ditch.

But yes.. FE3 is awesome.

pres589
pres589 Dork
12/14/11 3:33 p.m.

I think I'd rather solve the dizzy / firewall issue with EDIS and a bandsaw.

How much power can Mazda RWD manual transmissions from the proper era handle before they pop? Can the trans out of an FD RX-7 go behind an F2T easily-ish?

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/14/11 3:36 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I think I'd rather solve the dizzy / firewall issue with EDIS and a bandsaw. How much power can Mazda RWD manual transmissions from the proper era handle before they pop? Can the trans out of an FD RX-7 go behind an F2T easily-ish?

Don't know about FD RX7, but from what i understand, the B2200 trans and FC TII trans are fairly stout.

I would ASSume that where an FC trans goes, an FD trans would go, but i'm not real versed on the rotary world.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/14/11 3:41 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
pres589 wrote: I think I'd rather solve the dizzy / firewall issue with EDIS and a bandsaw. How much power can Mazda RWD manual transmissions from the proper era handle before they pop? Can the trans out of an FD RX-7 go behind an F2T easily-ish?
Don't know about FD RX7, but from what i understand, the B2200 trans and FC TII trans are fairly stout. I would ASSume that where an FC trans goes, an FD trans would go, but i'm not real versed on the rotary world.

Nope! An FD trans is a little weird from what I understand. They use a "backward" clutch <- my term.

However, the FC TII transmission is the same gearbox as the FD transmission (with some ratios changed I think).

What I mean is that the FD and TII trans are the same strength. You CAN blow them up but it is not like they are glass. I would say better than a T5 non-WC.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/14/11 3:45 p.m.

They can handle a butt load of hp! However, I am not sure if too many people have actually tried to put a bunhc of torque through them (ya know, with the rotary).

I have "heard" of people running upwards of 450 hp and not hurting them.

The 20B people use the stock TII tranny in some cases.

My answer is: 400 hp and 275 lb*ft of torque reliably.

This is out of my ass based on my experience with this tranny and what I have heard.

YMMV

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/14/11 3:54 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
They can handle a butt load of hp! However, I am not sure if too many people have actually tried to put a bunhc of torque through them (ya know, with the rotary). I have "heard" of people running upwards of 450 hp and not hurting them. The 20B people use the stock TII tranny in some cases. My answer is: 400 hp and 275 lb*ft of torque reliably. This is out of my ass based on my experience with this tranny and what I have heard. YMMV

Yep, that's the great unknown, kindof. There's a couple STRONG F2T B2200 trucks running around with no reported issues.

Buuuut... an F2T will reverse those power numbers you said up there.

275hp, 400tq.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CGJbunQypxq9IN7uIckz4tKb4AgMyldDtuo8P2KC1EFtQk5cbtCacH4r5EBo2W2T