Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/12 10:51 a.m.

It's weight.

The Euro-spec sedan with a 2.5-liter gasoline engine, automatic transmission and i-ELOOP brake energy regeneration system weighs 2,992 pounds. That's a 337-pound weight loss over the current Mazda6 with the automatic.

Chew on that for a second. The heavier automatic-equipped one is under 3000 pounds. With A/C, power everything, a bazillion airbags, etc, etc...

Now imagine a manual-trans version, add some lighter wheels, take out the spare, etc...

That is a light mid-size sedan, by any standard.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/12 10:55 a.m.

Regen braking means big batteries too. Very impressive. Can't wait to see what Mazda builds for a Toyobaru competitor.

Edit: Wait no it just uses a big capacitor:

Still, pretty good weight.

njansenv
njansenv Dork
10/8/12 10:58 a.m.

Awesome. I heard 3.9L/100km (60US mpg) on the diesel variant as well. Now hopefully they've finally fixed that whole rust thing. Mazda 3's rust at an embarrassing rate up here in the rust belt.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
10/8/12 11:03 a.m.

I was impressed when the newest Altima came out 150 lbs lighter than the previous one. Looks like Mazda more than doubled that improvement - extremely impressive.

I am SO looking forward to the next Miata. It's also planned for the lightening treatment.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/12 11:33 a.m.

Wifey and I have been talking new car for her for awhile. The Grand Prix has been with us for almost 7 years and is over 130K miles now. It's actually still in great shape, but the lack of LATCH in the rear seat drives her nuts (and will get worse when mini-Jav switches seats and/or we make mini-Jav the 2nd) and the in-town mileage is poor. She comes from turbo cars though, so she won't drive anything slow.

I'm hoping for the 300TQ Sky-D CX-5 or the Mazda6 as the replacement next year, we'll see.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
10/8/12 4:24 p.m.
Javelin wrote: It's weight.
The Euro-spec sedan with a 2.5-liter gasoline engine, automatic transmission and i-ELOOP brake energy regeneration system weighs 2,992 pounds. That's a 337-pound weight loss over the current Mazda6 with the automatic.
Chew on that for a second. The heavier automatic-equipped one is under 3000 pounds. With A/C, power everything, a bazillion airbags, etc, etc... Now imagine a manual-trans version, add some lighter wheels, take out the spare, etc... That is a *light* mid-size sedan, by any standard.

That is a light car in gneral by modern standards, I think BMWs are required to start at 4000lbs (sarcasm)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/12 4:33 p.m.

i-ELOOP. What a great, awkward acronym.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LA3TWVgEaEuFZj6X7TWDyP7UnnTVNITXPkmf97t0A3RDXdSdLmoDZjUaGFhh3NYr