Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
7/4/17 12:13 p.m.

Is it just me?

Shifting up OR down with the Commodore 64 buttons is PAINFULLY slow, while auto-shifts in "sport mode" are downright violent. Is this common, or could there be something awry?

Also, if I'm cruising in 6th on a two-lane road and gun it to pass, there's a (again) VIOLENT clunk on the down-shift.

Car has 100k miles, so I'm guessing I need to have motor/trans mounts checked out.

Looking for a manual but finding the right color/price combo within a thousand miles of GA has been a bust.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/4/17 1:41 p.m.

This seems like the 6L80 behavior I'm used to but the one I've been driving only has 315hp in front of it and tow/haul mode instead of sport mode. Does the V do grade braking too?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/4/17 7:39 p.m.

I test drove an automatic V2 with maybe 30k miles on it before I bought mine. I didn't like anything the transmission did. I've since met several people with them that seem to enjoy them, so I'm not sure. Maybe there is a tuning solution? I know they can change quite a lot with a trans tune in the trucks.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
7/5/17 7:39 a.m.

Are you sure yours isn't tuned already? The violent shifts sound like something that someone with a tuner would do to make it more "sporty".

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
7/5/17 1:31 p.m.
camaroz1985 wrote: Are you sure yours isn't tuned already? The violent shifts sound like something that someone with a tuner would do to make it more "sporty".

No clue. Though I'd think if it was tuned the manual shifts would take less than a year and a half to complete(?)

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/5/17 2:52 p.m.

sorry bout your trans Sa$$MPP....love me my manual 'V', 118K on the clock, no mount issues yet....

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
7/5/17 3:00 p.m.

You can tune that transmission with a HP tuner at least that is what I have been told in the past. A6 variant or not?

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
7/5/17 5:04 p.m.

I don't think I'm ever going to be happy with the slushbox. If anyone finds a MT in the southeast in white, silver, or thunder grey (preferably black interior...recaros not critical but would be nice...bonus points for slick-top) for under $40k, let a ninja know!!!

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/6/17 8:20 a.m.

Just found three on autorader for less than $40k .....yes one of them is red, but it has Recaros

Nessumsar
Nessumsar New Reader
7/6/17 3:03 p.m.

Smarty, get that trans tuned ASAP, you will be glad you did. Immediate up and down shifts with better automatic shift points can be had.

Also, I don't know what kind of cooler the V's run, but look into upgrading or adding a cooler. The 6L's run hot and heat is what kills them from what I can tell.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/9/17 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Nessumsar:

Cool. I actually figured out yesterday that the "stick" is quicker on downshifts than the buttons on the wheel.

I also tried the "double tap" method for the first time; move gear selector to "sport mode," select appropriate gear, go WFO, move stick back left then right, watch fuel needle rapidly approach "E," then look at speedometer which reads "STATE PRISON"

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/9/17 10:05 a.m.

LSxperts on howell bridge rd. can tune it,I see lots of caddy's up in there and of course a Poop Shovel full of Vettes.

poopshovel again
7/9/17 4:54 p.m.
GTXVette wrote: LSxperts on howell bridge rd. can tune it,I see lots of caddy's up in there and of course a Poop Shovel full of Vettes.

Hell yeah. LOVE Charlie & the gang. He did all the work on the V1. That said, per recent discussions with him, he's way more interested in building huge-power than "maintenance" type work, and I don't blame him.

GREAT dude, GREAT shop, but as this is my DD, I can't take "back-seat" to the guy who wants 1,000hp in his vette, nor would I expect Charlie to bump me to the front of the line over that dude.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
7/9/17 4:58 p.m.

What is the ideal color combo you are looking for?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/9/17 7:44 p.m.

he put a mild "Coon Tune" on our 57 Nomad W/ls3 and tranny, works well. Larry drove up to Virginia to the Nomad Convention so we will see how a few Miles make it feel.

poopshovel again
7/9/17 8:49 p.m.

In reply to 92dxman:

See earlier post ^^^

poopshovel again
7/9/17 8:51 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

Where are you located?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/10/17 8:27 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again:

I live in Beautiful, Down Town, Ball Ground. I've seen the Hong norr(misspelled?) sticker around,Don't remember if car or Truck, and have worked for Leslie Some.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SFENJJIVquE3MafbaTmPKt8y4ei9UiLQ1hJpTTSgYvrLw2aynXCKgsy146G1xU7L