1 2 3
MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/4/20 11:50 a.m.
914Driver said:

I second the Vixen (and not because I almost bought one).  6 cylinder BMW diesel, 5 speed stick BUT the best for me is it fits inside a normal garage.  Not so much the later models that had a lifted roof and a GM V-6 automatic that tended to over heat.

Later model:

this one got a 455 and cadillacs air suspension for the ceo of gm

https://bringatrailer.com/2012/09/13/go-gm-v8-powered-1986-vixen-rv/

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
10/4/20 12:42 p.m.

Then there is the Ultra Van.  Powered by a, wait... get this, a Corvair flat 6.  What could go wrong with that?

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) Dork
10/4/20 2:07 p.m.
yupididit said:
Bent-Valve (FS) said:

We are in the process of looking for an RV.

We just drove down and looked at this 1993 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. 8.3 Cummings with 6 spd Allison. 

We passed but I really like the style of it.

Edit. Before you ask it needs 6 tires (12 years old), brakes, pinion seal, wiring on the leveling system, interior ripped out and redone...

I'm looking for one of these. Especially because of the drivetrain. 

They wanted $14950 for it. I found one in Florida for $17k with 1/2 the miles and a 1000% better interior, it is a 900 mile drive to look at it though, so not this weekend.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1993-Fleetwood-Rv-PACE-ARROW-36C-5011721755

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Dork
10/4/20 7:00 p.m.

OK so I have been looking at RV websites. You know how the rabbit hole is.

Vintage bus rv conversions. Found some nice ones, found some, um, well why you should or shouldn't. Kind of like some people should not own tools.

ANYWAY, then looking for buses on CL I found this, tell me it wouldn't be a great RV.

Ad: selling 1991 trolly bus, freightliner chassis, 5.9 cummins, auto transmission. has had alot work done to inside and outside still needs painted and finished up.
asking $9000 O.B.O
47941418twotwo

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/20 8:20 p.m.

I have always liked the Airstream RVs,

But they kinda lose something when they are shorter.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/20 4:18 p.m.

This is a weird thread.  

I like it. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/5/20 4:33 p.m.

I just sold my '73 GMC

It was really sharp... from 30'

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/6/20 7:20 a.m.

I have no experience whatsoever with trolley busses other than riding in them, but I definitely like the idea of converting one to an RV. They seem to be based on the same sort of commercial chassis and running gear as a more normal bus, and the faux old fashioned interior seems to put you a bit ahead on interior conversions. The main question is that I'm not sure how watertight the roof is, or if it suffers from the same problems as fiberglass roofed RVs.

While it's hard to top the Decoliner, I'm kind of partial to conversions with vintage busses. Here's one based on a 1957 Flxible Starliner.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/6/20 7:45 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Agree. Some of those are beautiful:

I'm kinda bummed the owner of the bus conversion above (Creative Cruiser) deactivated the blog photos of the build and interior.  It's a work of art.

Most trolleys and city busses are geared for city use and top out at 50 mph or so.

Many school busses have the same problem. 

SanFord would top out at 55-60 if you didn't mind listening to a BB ford spin 3000+ rpms for hours at a time. 

I still love the way it looks.

The Blunderbus is not beautiful. It's a white box on wheels. It will, however, run down the road at 70 mph, tow a race car, has power steering, automatic trans, A/C, more space, and better insulation. I'm looking for one of these chassis to bolt under SanFord. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/20 9:22 a.m.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/6/20 9:36 a.m.
Bent-Valve said:

OK so I have been looking at RV websites. You know how the rabbit hole is.

Vintage bus rv conversions. Found some nice ones, found some, um, well why you should or shouldn't. Kind of like some people should not own tools.

ANYWAY, then looking for buses on CL I found this, tell me it wouldn't be a great RV.

Ad: selling 1991 trolly bus, freightliner chassis, 5.9 cummins, auto transmission. has had alot work done to inside and outside still needs painted and finished up.
asking $9000 O.B.O
47941418twotwo

I'd hit that. 

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
10/7/20 9:45 a.m.

Not conventionally beautiful, but cool is beautiful, right?

FMC 2900R

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
10/7/20 10:26 a.m.

I would love for someone to make an RV version of the GM Futurliner. That would be the most beautiful motorhome ever. But I am a sucker for streamline esthetics. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/7/20 11:10 a.m.
Scott_H said:

Then there is the Ultra Van.  Powered by a, wait... get this, a Corvair flat 6.  What could go wrong with that?

Those actually work fine as long as you use a higher torque corvair engine like the 95 hp 110 hp the 140hppowerglide engine or 3.1 build. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Dork
11/2/20 7:11 p.m.

You are supposed to start a thread before you buy a vehicle, I sort of broke that rule. So I'll post here.

We have agreed to buy it, have driven and looked it over, the owner cleaned it out today. I think we will get it Wednesday.

I scanned the brochure and put it on G Drive, link:

1993 Covington CV-747-QB, Diesel pusher.

Oshkosh chassis, Cummins 5.9 turbocharged diesel, Allison transmission, LP genset. Needs some cleaning and fixing of minor stuff, all over. 68K miles.

I will soon have a tow vehicle / best tent I have ever had. (I have only ever camped in tents...) laugh

pirate
pirate HalfDork
11/2/20 7:39 p.m.

Out of my league but the new Newmar Super C's tick all the boxes for me.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Dork
11/2/20 8:02 p.m.
pirate said:

Out of my league but the new Newmar Super C's tick all the boxes for me.

Pyro said, "Yeah, if we had the money it would tick all the boxes." I do like the one we are getting for many reasons, not the least of which is its paid for. A Super C? I would have to look for another job, or 3... But I have seen these with 30,000 lb tow ratings. what could you drag home with that?

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
11/2/20 8:33 p.m.

The future liner is awesome.  The decoliner may be "most beautiful."  

However, an RV that can lay smokey burnouts is also beautiful.   Every time SWMBO talks about getting a "camper" I assume she means something like this Ringbrothers Winnebago (surprise, she doesn't!).  

The interior was turned into a lounge/bar.  900HP supercharged LS.  

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/20 10:50 p.m.

My first experience as a kid with an RV was an original Winnebago similar to that.  They seemed nice at the time, but wow did they age badly.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
11/3/20 8:25 p.m.
Bent-Valve said:

You are supposed to start a thread before you buy a vehicle, I sort of broke that rule. So I'll post here.

We have agreed to buy it, have driven and looked it over, the owner cleaned it out today. I think we will get it Wednesday.

I scanned the brochure and put it on G Drive, link:

1993 Covington CV-747-QB, Diesel pusher.

Oshkosh chassis, Cummins 5.9 turbocharged diesel, Allison ktransmission, LP genset. Needs some cleaning and fixing of minor stuff, all over. 68K miles.

I will soon have a tow vehicle / best tent I have ever had. (I have only ever camped in tents...) laugh

This looks similar to the motorhome I drove from Grants Pass Oregon back to Texas you probably won't find the thread but I drove it all the way towing a good 90 miles per hour through New Mexico with five Birds  2cats 3dogs and a turtle, it should serve you well Oshkosh builds some bulletproof frames

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/20 9:58 p.m.

Winnies are seeing a resurgence. Get yours while you can.

Other than that, these are pretty sweet.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/3/20 10:33 p.m.

This one or another in the same style always showed up at the old car swap meet in Germany , 

Since it was probably pretty rusted before restoration , it must have taken 1000s of hours to get one this nice , 

and here is a whole page of them !

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/763500943058404745/

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/3/20 11:13 p.m.

Maybe not the prettiest, but it's handsome, of a reasonable size, and a darn nice adventure platform - Cortez

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 New Reader
11/4/20 8:55 a.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6BiVMtXk1Slt6DzO3NMnBFLZJWR6Ux4El1K1hCD5ArrTjvE3lDxeV0a9G3IYTZmz