1 2 3 4
knb13
knb13 Reader
9/2/16 9:23 a.m.

What's the most comfortable vehicle you've owned? I'm talking about overall ride quality and interior ergonomic features. Something you could buckle into and just go for a long time without getting your insides rearranged from potholes or your back aching after an hour. Also let's go with stock vehicles- nothing with swapped suspension or race seats. And handling and power aren't a factor- pure comfort. I'm looking for ideas for a new DD.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
9/2/16 9:27 a.m.

I've driven a straight 1,000 miles (after a full day of work in a office chair) with only gas, coffee, and subsequent pee breaks with my '14 Grand Cherokee. It floats nicely with the cruise set at 85mph and I don't recall any derrière discomfort. The only thing that would make it nicer would be air conditioned seats. That's my jam.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/2/16 9:28 a.m.

2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited. V8 4wd.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/2/16 9:29 a.m.

2005 Phaeton.

Lots of issues with the beast but its ability to crush any distance drive in absolute comfort is unparalleled.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
9/2/16 9:33 a.m.

95 Buick Riviera. Leather seats that felt like your favorite recliner and adjusted about 50 different ways. It rode like a cloud too. It would be any easy car to fall asleep at the wheel. I had to get rid of it because I had no desire to own an aging luxury car.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/2/16 9:34 a.m.

2006 Sierra Crew Cab 2wd. Only vehicle I've ever been able to take 30 hours straight without getting sore. You get tired of being in the same space after that much time, but its not uncomfortable.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
9/2/16 9:40 a.m.

2004 Saab 93. I'd put that one at the top.

My second place nominee would be the old 86 Toyota truck with a bench seat. That seat shouldn't have been as comfortable as it was, but I could easily go all day in it, as I did many times.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy New Reader
9/2/16 9:44 a.m.

For comfort and reliability, it's hard to beat an old Lexus LS. Most people don't realize they can be found for $5-$10K in great shape

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/2/16 9:45 a.m.

My 1971 Cadillac Eldorado was the bomb. After a hard day at work, slipping into that leather couch was such a relief. Pull the telescopic wheel towards you, set the electric seats and amble on home. It had the ability to go fast, ( it did have an 8.2 liter V8) but I've never had a car that was so good at going slow.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/2/16 9:46 a.m.

A couple times now I've done 1200 miles in a day in my current dd. The way it goes down the road makes me look forward to the next 15 hour jaunt. Very likely this will be the best and most comfy car I'll ever own; say what you will about the Krauts and their overweight luxobarges but I gotta tell ya an E55 AMG further tarted up by Brabus is about the best mile-eater I can possibly imagine!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/2/16 9:47 a.m.

For comfort alone, it's a tough call between the Lexus LS400 and the Buick Roadmaster wagon. The LS400 was in another world fit and finish wise but the Roadmaster held its own when looking at the ability to eat up miles in comfort.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/2/16 9:48 a.m.

Best car was the 99 Bonneville SLE, very comfortable seats. Best truck is the 2003 Suburban, plenty of room and good seats. Not so great on fuel economy though.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
9/2/16 9:49 a.m.

'07 Tahoe. Son and I went everywhere in that thing and it just chewed up the miles in comfort. Big enough to move around in and adjust with barca lounger seats and good A/C. I assume a Suburban/Yukon would be just as comfortable.

When looking, though, try to test drive it as long as you can. For example, my wife's 500L is a nice comfortable car, but I can't stand the seats and my back is screaming after an hour or so. My wife, however, can drive it for hours on end without issue.

-Rob

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/2/16 9:50 a.m.

'95 Volvo 850 wagon. Great seats. Quiet Michelins and a manual trans to keep it interesting.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/2/16 9:51 a.m.

Our Merc R class. I have gone from Ohio to Florida twice and to Austin one and that thing makes it very easy. The seats are just the right firmness, the cruse it the best I have ever used, up or down by 1 or 5 mph increments and its got a long wheelbase that with the air ride makes the road nice and smooth without being floatie.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
9/2/16 9:57 a.m.

2005 suburban z71 or 1999 528i with sport package.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/16 10:08 a.m.

I really liked my wife's 1992 Maxima for the long haul. That car would eat up some miles. Rust finally did her in...

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/2/16 10:14 a.m.

I have not owned, but a Lexus LS430 was amazing. What I have owned was a badly worn and neglected 1990 Volvo 740 turbo wagon. Even though the leather on the front seats was split wide open and they were covered with duct tape and a t-shirt (when I bought it) those seats were still the most comfortable I've owned.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
9/2/16 10:14 a.m.

My 1997 Mercedes E320. Bought it off my ex-girlfriend's older brother, drove it from Atlanta to Dallas, felt like a cloud. Was a nice, clean car up until the gearbox failed.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
9/2/16 10:16 a.m.

1982 Olds Delta 88. Haven't found any car that's been as cushy as that was.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
9/2/16 10:16 a.m.

Because most seats bother my back I'll go with my current R53 MINI Cooper. I had a series of Chrysler vehicles when I was still working that were all pretty good, but my back would act up after 3 or 4 hours. I make the return trip (1050 mi.) from the Challenge each year in one go from Gainesville to SE Michigan in the MINI.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/2/16 10:20 a.m.
rob_lewis wrote: '07 Tahoe. Son and I went everywhere in that thing and it just chewed up the miles in comfort. Big enough to move around in and adjust with barca lounger seats and good A/C. I assume a Suburban/Yukon would be just as comfortable. When looking, though, try to test drive it as long as you can. For example, my wife's 500L is a nice comfortable car, but I can't stand the seats and my back is screaming after an hour or so. My wife, however, can drive it for hours on end without issue. -Rob

Cloth or leather? I can't get comfortable in the GM leather seats but the cloth just swallow me in comfort. I don't know if the leather is too stiff to give or it's just my discomfort with leather seats in cars.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
9/2/16 10:22 a.m.

Lexus LS series the newer the better.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
9/2/16 10:23 a.m.

My Mercedes CLS63 is at its best when crossing continents. My dad's old LS400 was close, but more disconnected.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/2/16 10:28 a.m.

Most comfort? I didnt own it, but I borrowed my grandmothers 6th generation (96+) Buick Century. Very disconnected from the road, the seats were cloth, fuzzy steering wheel cover. The seats were like sitting on pillows. You hardly knew you were driving, t just floated along. Wasnt enough power to really engage you, but it wasnt enough of a lack that you had to hustle it to keep up.

I actually didnt like it too much for longer trips, it was a bit too comfortable and detached to the point where you could fall asleep in it.

It had very low miles on it.

I really didnt like it too much. too disconnected. Plus that once or twice I had to hustle it really made me loathe it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A1U2YtWujyuULSzO2kVihKGdic5liiHddX5l6YDStgs7EmYk2Ldx3NXXjyiDobax