1 2 3 4
92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
9/2/16 1:52 p.m.

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatch. I used to drive quite a bit for work and drove 43.5k miles in a year and a half with that car. I'd be in the car up to 4 hours a day sometimes with no issues after sitting in those seats. This is even with lowered springs and fat rear sway bar.

The 13 CX-5 I just got is a nice place to spend some time on the highway.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/16 2:22 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: '95 Volvo 850 wagon. Great seats. Quiet Michelins and a manual trans to keep it interesting.
I had the sedan.. great car for munching the miles with that long straight five putting it's torque through the 5 speed. The leather seats really do make it the "buick" of the euro sedans. Being boxy and black, it was also nearly invisible. But the most miles I ever did in one sitting, was a GMC W7 box truck.. 1000 miles straight (yes I was over my limit on time) with only a couple of potty breaks. It was uncomfortable to drive in town.. but on the highway you just mash the pedal and go

I had two sedans (an NA/5 speed and a Turbo/auto) and my dad had a wagon (NA/auto). They were all fantastic mile eaters, especially the turbo which could effortlessly engage warp drive for rapid passing maneuvers. Between the three, I've probably done more miles in an 850 than any other car and they're a fantastic place to be for long hours in the saddle.

oilstain
oilstain New Reader
9/2/16 2:33 p.m.

Jaaaaaaaaaag

2006 Super V8. Cushy air suspension, excellent soundproofing, loves sustained high speeds. Just about perfect for long trips!

tjbell
tjbell Reader
9/2/16 2:45 p.m.

For me, my old 2004 Saab 9-5. Ergonomically it was perfect for ME (5'11 230 lbs) reliable, 5 speed and stage 2 tune made it extremely fun to drive also.

as for eating up miles, I drove straight from central MA to DC without stopping, 500 mile range, except to pee, once. and I felt fine after. I would buy one in a second for eating up miles

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/16 3:12 p.m.

By far, a 1987 Lincoln Town Car.

You could set the cruise at any speed and drive it for days without fatigue.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/16 3:19 p.m.

The 1997 E39 540i we had for a few years or likely the 2004 Lincoln Navigator we have now. Also the 2001 Audi A6 Avant we had was pretty comfy.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
9/2/16 3:21 p.m.

For most of the last 20 years I would have said my '89 Astro, then I bought an R56 MINI with the sport seats and now it's a toss up.

MacDubois
MacDubois New Reader
9/2/16 3:31 p.m.

1984 Mercedes 500SEC. Put 10 hours on in a day a couple times and had no fatigue at all. Big windows, great seats, and I swear people moved out of the way better for the big Benz than for any of the small cars I've had since.

My wife's grand parents have a Grand Marquis and that is pretty good, and much cheaper to maintain than my Benz was.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
9/2/16 3:36 p.m.

'91 Olds Bravada was nice ride wise but somehow was more cramped inside than my '96 XJ my '99 SL1.

Thing that should have sucked but didn't suck nearly as bad as I expected to: That '96 Jeep Cherokee 2 door 2wd.

Thing that's way worse than I expected it to be: My dad's 2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 crew cab. "HD Suspension, Firm ride" they said. They did not lie.

Thing that's exactly as bad as I expected it to be: My '89 D350

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
9/2/16 3:40 p.m.

My 2005 Nissan Titan is the most comfortable to drive. Lots of room everywhere, and big, wide arm rests. Perfect seating positron with room to stretch out.

My wife's 2014 Sienna is the most comfortable to ride in, especially the second row.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/16 3:49 p.m.

I have driven a lot of heavy trucks and found them to be much more comfortable than passenger vehicles as a rule. You tend so sit straight backed like at a desk rather than reclining back the way cars force you to sit. I have put many 18 hour days in behind the wheel of a semi in real comfort, whereas I have yet to find a passenger vehicle that does not give me monkey butt after a few hours. The wanderlodge is the same. Truck seats. I drove back from the East Coast in a few days with no issues yet I am sitting on one cheek as I type in a parking lot because my Dodge Laramie has killed my azz muscles again after only a couple of hours.

M030
M030 Dork
9/2/16 4:05 p.m.

In stock configuration, the most comfortable was a 2001 Celica with factory sport seats. Modified, nothing I've ever sat in beats my old Boxster with Recaro SPGs. Seriously, ergonomically it feels like the car was designed specifically around my body.

car39
car39 HalfDork
9/2/16 4:24 p.m.

Almost any Volvo. I've driven a bunch since the 70's and the seats and the handling are hard to beat on an interstate. My current 14 S60 sedan has made 12 round trips from CT to SC since 2013, and I can still move after the ride, even with arthritic joints. A great ride.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
9/2/16 4:50 p.m.

Citroën DS. Far and away the most comfortable car I've ever driven, but I can't afford to daily one.

The most comfortable seats and car I've owned is the Volvo 740 I'm driving currently for family road trips. The ride is smooth but taut with its refreshed suspension. The seats are soft in the right spots, while being firm and supportive in the areas you really need that. The only thing that would make it better is modern car levels of cabin NVH. Old cars are a lot louder than new, no doubt about it.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
9/2/16 4:58 p.m.

2001 Volvo xc70

M030
M030 Dork
9/2/16 5:42 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: For cars that should have been comfy but utterly failed at it: my former MIL had a late model Town Car Platinum (comparable year to the Phaeton I had) that legit hurt to spend more than an hour in. I hated that car with a passion! alt="" />

In reply to KyAllroad:

I don't know what it is about them, but, to me, there is no car less comfortable than a big, floaty American sedan with a big, flat bench seat. Ford products, in particular give me a terrible backache. I must just be some kind of a weirdo, because the big Fords always seem to make it onto any, "most comfortable car" list.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
9/2/16 6:15 p.m.

'94 Q45 that I owned years ago is probably number 1, followed by a G35.

I also rate my '80 TR7 I owned in the '80's pretty high, but I was like 20 when I owned it so my viewpoint may have changed.

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/2/16 6:19 p.m.

2005 Acura RL. I did over 20 hours in mine from Colorado Springs to Northern California in one go.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
9/2/16 8:24 p.m.
DocV wrote: LS400, Avalon, and Sienna minivan with leather interior is very nice for interstate travelling.

Weird. Those were the exact vehicles I was going to mention. 1991,2000 & 2006 respectfully. The 1995 camry wagon was not bad either.

For those i didn't own. 2013 Buick Enclave, 2008 range Rover and 2008 s550.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/16 9:22 p.m.

2001 Volvo V70 T5. Volvo knows seats.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
9/2/16 10:00 p.m.

Probably a '63 buick deuce and a quarter, if not that a 2012 Range Rover HSE Sport.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/2/16 10:24 p.m.

3rd/4th gen Taurus. Same seats. With the 8?way power seats I could get it dialed in just right.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
9/2/16 10:25 p.m.

1985 grand marquis LS. that car just floated down the road.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/16 10:29 p.m.

In all honesty, I think my 96 Rodeo. The only nice thing I ever had to say about it was how comfortable the seats were. But, most of my vehicles have been purchased due to necessity, with comfort, and even reliability taking a back seat to "will it get me to work till payday?"

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/2/16 10:29 p.m.

Given the stock suspension rule, I have to give the nod to my wife's Mazda6. It still has the stock suspension.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P0Z5oepKK8vGueXuvFDW5dRt6z3sryiLp1GQ0HJ6zb5XM0Ckrh44MJ7GVXEitU77