wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/10/19 1:14 p.m.
  • Viper. 
  • How fast does that thing go.
  • Cadillac 
  • Where do you park that boat. 
  • Thunderbird. 
  • What year corvette is that. (Which makes me laugh) 
  • Lightning. 
  • Way is your truck so loud, or you have bald tires (Drag slicks)
  • Porsche. 
  • Nobody asks me anything its invisible.   

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/10/19 1:19 p.m.

"Is that your Trans Am?".  "No, its my Camaro."

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/10/19 1:26 p.m.

My 2018 FiST.

Is it fast ?   I guess so.

Do you race it much ?   No.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/19 1:27 p.m.

Upon seeing my cars, I usually get "if you need anything, just let me know" or "I didn't realize it was that bad" or even "here's a few bucks, get something to eat".

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
10/10/19 1:32 p.m.

You got the 5oh?

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/10/19 2:16 p.m.

My old RX-8 generated some questions about the engine and a similar number about the rear doors/back seat situation. The RX-7 TII before that generated lots of interesting questions about the engine, but people were more aware of them than in the past.

The horrible 2017 Camaro SS I had generated lots of engine displacement questions.

I'm 6'5" so I get a lot of questions about fitting into modern small cars. Not sure why people haven't realize that headroom has improved a lot in every vehicle built since the mid-90s. I suspect this perspective is a key reason why everyone now buys CUVs/SUVs/trucks.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/10/19 2:20 p.m.

The Miata does get fairly frequent "What is that?" as well, which is kinda weird because they are so distinctive and are a bit of a household name. I also get the occasional "WhY DIdN't YoU gO TUrBo?" when they see the Rotrex blower.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/19 2:25 p.m.

For the i8, the question I get the most often is "Is it hybrid or electric?"

I usually answer "Yes"

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
10/10/19 2:42 p.m.

"Can I borrow it?"

Dodge Ram 1500

aw614
aw614 Reader
10/10/19 2:47 p.m.

People always ask if I have a B series VTEC motor in my integra, at an autocross where most people are cool and its casual, I'll answer it and talk about the swap. But if its on the street and I don't really know the person, I just say it's a nonVTEC LS b/c technically it is by the VIN lol. Seems saying it isn't gets a lot less attention and the conversation typically ends...

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/10/19 2:57 p.m.

Mazdaspeed Miata: “I bet that gets great gas mileage doesn’t it?” I usually get a little over 20 mpg and it requires premium. 

“Wow, that’s really small. What is it? Is it for sale?” “Why are the wheels so small?” “How do you fit in there?” “Is it hard to drive on the wrong side?” Mini

Volvo XC70 and Ford E150 nobody notices or asks about. Although sometimes people will ask about the wheelchair lift in the van. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/10/19 2:59 p.m.
T.J. said:

Mazdaspeed Miata: “I bet that gets great gas mileage doesn’t it?” I usually get a little over 20 mpg and it requires premium. 

Is it stock? Because a little over 20mpg seems kind of sad. My Rotrex-blown 245whp car gets around 25-26mpg highway.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
10/10/19 3:19 p.m.

"what is that?" most common guess is a Benz.

It's been mostly debadged, has the Genesis wings on the back, and only visible Hyundai badge is on the steering wheel so you have to hunt for it a little bit.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/19 3:30 p.m.

isn't that thing supposed to be done by now?

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
10/10/19 3:32 p.m.

Oddly enough the most asked question is "what is it?" Not from kids either. Every age group. I consider it to be one of the most iconic cars of the 20th century.

I even had a kid in a R53 Cooper S think I was gaslighting him when I told him it was a mini. He was just like "uh, dude. I'M in a mini, what is that"

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/10/19 3:39 p.m.

"Is it a convertible?"

"Yep!"

About my Miata. They all are but who cares? The person just wants to hear about my car, not get a lecture on a car that's somehow both too old and too new to be cool.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
10/10/19 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Powar :

Nice 88, my favorite year. Mine is b-swapped, but constantly am asked if its turbo. Its not. In fact, there is no hood and you can see the entire exposed hytech header, as well as everything else.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/10/19 4:12 p.m.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/10/19 4:13 p.m.

'08 Accord: "Wait, they still made these with a stick?"

Surprisingly, yes. Not too bad, either. 

'06 BMW wagon: "How fast is that thing? Must be fast! It's a BMW!"

Not at all. It's a 4k AWD vehicle with 255hp at the crank. It's slow. It's very slow.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/19 4:14 p.m.

"wtf is that?!?" "I have never seen one of those!" "You just made my day, my dad/grandpa always wanted one" "that thing has a turbo???? How fast is it???"

Dodge Rampage

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/10/19 4:19 p.m.

For anyone else who had no idea what a Dodge Rampage is/was:

1983 Dodge Rampage.jpg

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/10/19 4:34 p.m.

Is it for sale is the most common question I get.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
10/10/19 4:39 p.m.

My T/A was ordered without a hoodbird - most common question I get is 'when are you going to put the hoodbird on'?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/10/19 4:40 p.m.

MR2- "Is that a Fiero?"

Yukon Ex-Fire Chief Rally Service Rig- "Is that even legal?"

XR4Ti Rally Car- "Did you build it yourself?  Why does it have a license plate?"

Subaru Outback- *Visible disappointment that I'm male*

Buell 1125CR- "Is that a Ducati?"

Honda NX250- "Is it a 600?"

Aprilia Pegaso- "What the berkeley is this thing?"

Kawasaki H1- "I had a friend who died on one of those"

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/19 4:41 p.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

heres mine, I bought it off the forum and drove it across the country with some success

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wwaywqsBNBdu1pD9Go6qrWUEDyQU5jwV9H4Fu6j52elNfo54cRd4mSIRBKcxNW6t