1 2 3 4 5
dps214
dps214 Reader
3/14/20 1:29 p.m.

My local region's autocross events this weekend weren't cancelled because of the virus. They were, however, cancelled because the site is undergoing some repairs that didn't get finished in time. On the other hand, it's been snowing all morning, so maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/15/20 8:12 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpq9oMLTc-k

If you're having withdrawals from no racing, there's a big virtual race going on this morning.  The driver list includes Max Verstappen, Colin Herta, Juan Pablo Montoya, Felix Rosenqvist and more. 

-Rob

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/15/20 10:10 a.m.

Hoosier SCCA Super Tour scheduled for Road Atlanta March 20-22 postponed.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/15/20 12:55 p.m.

Boo the autocross I was scheduled for at the end of the month (my first one!) was canceled. 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
3/15/20 7:20 p.m.
spandak said:

Boo the autocross I was scheduled for at the end of the month (my first one!) was canceled. 

The gang that ran ours was smart about it - they wore gloves, everybody signed up got their own pen, none of us shook hands on the course, and, of course Arizona doesn't have much in the of the virus anyway. 

Kudos to the Tucson group, well done. 

David S. Wallens
3/15/20 7:20 p.m.

Tampa's Gasparilla Concours has been rescheduled to November 6-8. New location, too: Peter O. Knight Airport in Tampa. 

David S. Wallens
3/15/20 7:37 p.m.

The inaugural GRM Kid Car Show goes live. Call it online show and tell. 

David S. Wallens
3/16/20 1:14 p.m.

From a press release: New Jersey Motorsports Park closed until further notice.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
3/16/20 1:25 p.m.

Northern AZ has not reported any cases but there are some in Phoenix and further south. I was thinking about going to Canyon Speedway this coming Saturday but they are shut down until 4/11.

https://www.canyonspeedwaypark.com/ 

Arizona Motorsports Park and Wild Horse (formerly Firebird) have no news.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/20 2:10 p.m.

We've got a Street Survival course scheduled for April 26th.

It's not cancelled yet, but it's on the bubble.  Current four week school cancellation recommendation by the governor runs through the April 13-- I doubt we'll be out of the woods by that point.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

The Portland Oregon one scheduled for 3/21 was cancelled last week by SCCA National Office.

keithedwards
keithedwards Reader
3/16/20 2:26 p.m.

The Austin-Healey Club of America has cancelled their annual meet, Conclave 2020. Listed on their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/AHCAmembers/

Nothing on https://healeyclub.org/event/conclave-2020 just yet.

Javelin
3/16/20 5:43 p.m.

Portland International Raceway has canceled all activities through mid-April already.

Javelin
3/16/20 6:05 p.m.
David S. Wallens
3/17/20 10:15 a.m.

As announced on Facebook, the Motorsports Hall of Fame is closed until further notice. 

David S. Wallens
3/17/20 10:17 a.m.

From the Florida International Rally & Motorsports Park Facebook page:

"Yes, we're OPEN! 
Were your plans canceled? Visit us for Open Track Days or book one of our Driving Courses!  racethefirm.com"

David S. Wallens
3/17/20 11:16 a.m.

From NASA:

"We are following state and federal recommendations to cancel events until March 31st and we will activate a health and safety plan for when events will be allowed to continue. When we do resume operations, we will institute a policy that allows for social distancing while still providing NASA members with industry leading professionally-run events."

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/17/20 11:34 a.m.

Champcar race at ncm this weekend cancelled by Kentucky government

David S. Wallens
3/17/20 12:49 p.m.

Revised info from NCM (as of March 17):

As our previous statement regarding the COVID-19 pandemic stated, this is an extremely fluid situation, and we will continue to follow all local, regional and state guidelines. Yesterday at 2:30pm EST on March 16, the CDC updated their guidelines to further restrict gatherings of 10 or more people as well as to avoid discretionary travel. 

After discussing with state and local officials, it was an incredibly difficult decision to make with so many organizations involved, but as of today, March 17, we have moved to suspend all events at the NCM Motorsports Park until April 6. We hope that taking these extreme steps will help slow the surge of this pandemic and protect our staff, guests and surrounding community. We encourage all of our track clients, friends and family to continue to follow the guidelines set forth by the CDC and leaders of our country and communities.

We will continue to proactively monitor the situation on a weekly basis, and communicate via email, our website and social media platforms any updates or changes. 

David S. Wallens
3/17/20 2:07 p.m.

Update from HSR as per March 17:

Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) President David Hinton announced today the cancellation of the HSR Spring Fling at Sebring International Raceway that was set to open the 2020 HSR racing season March 26 - 29.

Officials from both HSR and Sebring International Raceway announced plans to proceed with the event last Thursday, but the increasing magnitude of the novel coronavirus outbreak, and tighter crowd gathering restrictions announced yesterday, led to the cancellation.

The 43rd HSR Mitty is scheduled to take place at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta, April 23 - 26.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/17/20 2:11 p.m.

David,

Are you covering the new events created by the cancellation of these others?   For example:  https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/03/esports-fills-the-gap-as-coronavirus-cancels-in-person-sporting-events/

I may have missed it, just curious.

David S. Wallens
3/17/20 2:12 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

If I get/see the announcement, we'll add it to the list. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/17/20 3:01 p.m.

The Kalispel Montana stock car oval has canceled the entire season.  It's entirely possible that there is more to that story.

David S. Wallens
3/17/20 3:03 p.m.

A giant favor for those posting info about cancelations and changes: Please link to the source of information.

Thank you.

OnTheChip
OnTheChip New Reader
3/17/20 3:36 p.m.

VIR closed through April 1:

vir-coronavirus-message-follow-up

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1PXYfuPy9GjBkx9Ia21uqX61HkarrqzI5wRztggu1MfpvwdWtoGaz74cWU8Hk2TC