1 ... 3 4 5
Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
3/17/20 3:38 p.m.

My vintage race was just canceled..............waaaaa.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/18/20 8:24 a.m.

From a press release:

This is an important update to race fans, competitors and all associated with the Acura Sports Car Challenge at Mid-Ohio event. 

Following the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance regarding limiting public gatherings to no more than 50 people, the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course can confirm the Acura Sports Car Challenge at Mid-Ohio will not take place as previously scheduled from May 1-3. 

This delays the start of the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course season opening and will impact the following IMSA-sanctioned series:

·      IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship

·      IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge

·      IMSA Prototype Challenge

·      Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge USA by Yokohama

Acura, IMSA, and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course are in discussions to identify a new date later in 2020. 

IMSA and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course will promptly communicate any updates as further information is made available.

David S. Wallens
3/18/20 11:35 a.m.

24 Hours of Le Mans has been rescheduled for September 19-20.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/18/20 1:09 p.m.

Nurburgring 24 Hour rescheduled to September. Same weekend as SCCA Time Trial Nationals, so I guess no N24 fo me this year. Boo. Still have two flights to Germany I have to use before the end of the year, though. Maybe I'll hit a VLN or something.

https://www.24h-rennen.de/en/

David S. Wallens
3/18/20 2:15 p.m.

ChampCar/NCM update from March 18:

At 9:30am this morning, NCM management called Mike Morrison to let him know their track had been closed until April 13th. 

The track had been committed to hosting all upcoming events, but in a meeting yesterday between the Mayor of Bowling Green and the Governor of Kentucky it was made known that NCM was still open and hosting events. The Governor said no, and instructed all motorsport facilities to shut down for the next few weeks. 

Without a track to race on, we can’t hold our event.

We are frustrated that our event has been canceled and we know you are too. We all needed this break from everyday life to get some fun racing in our lives. 

Your next question is probably about the money you had paid in for this event. ChampCar will issue a full refund or move your paid fees to another event. Just email Mike Morrison or Mike Chisek and let us know what you would like us to do with your fees. If we don’t hear from you, your fees will be credited to your account.

We look forward to life getting back to normal and seeing everyone at a race track later this year.

The ChampCar Staff  

David S. Wallens
3/19/20 12:04 p.m.

Update from Trans Am via a release:

Trans Am West Championship at Thunderhill Postponed

Miami, FL (18 March 2020) In effort to help reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus, Thunderhill Raceway announced that it will shut down all public access through April 2.  Additionally, the track officials said that it cannot say with any degree of credibility that the track will be open on any given weekend in April.

Given this uncertainty, and the updates and closings brought on by the COVID-19 virus, the Trans Am Series presented by Pirelli West Coast Championship race weekend at Thunderhil Raceway April 3-5 has been postponed with the goal of rescheduling in late summer or fall.

David S. Wallens
3/19/20 12:07 p.m.

As per a March 19 press release: Pikes Peak International Hill Climb rescheduled from June 28 to August 30.

March 19, 2020

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect everyone throughout the world, the Board of Directors of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb has made the decision to postpone the 98th running of the race. The race will not be conducted on June 28, 2020, but instead will be slated to take place on Sunday, August 30.

David S. Wallens
3/19/20 1:28 p.m.

The Orlando Roadsters meet for March has been canceled.

From their FB:

Orlando Roadsters, no meet this month for the obvious reasons.
In light of the recent restrictions on restaurants & large gatherings the Ace Cafe has canceled/postponed all of their regularly scheduled meets for the remainder of March. And we agree it is a prudent step.

It took a worldwide pandemic to actually cancel an Orlando Roadsters Meet! We haven’t canceled the monthly meet in well over over ten years. Stay safe, heed the warnings, the sooner we do, the sooner we can get back some normality.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/20 1:33 p.m.
chada75
chada75 Reader
3/19/20 9:09 p.m.

Triad Sports Car Club first points event in Winston-Salem on March 29th canceled Today.

David S. Wallens
3/20/20 11:23 a.m.

One Lap of America postponed until 2021:

Friends,

For all of us, One Lap has always been a family, a reunion, a once-a-year gathering of friends silly enough to think driving 3500-miles in a week is a vacation. I took over the event in 2009 as I, like most veterans, couldn’t imagine a May without a trip starting in South Bend. Each year, friendships are renewed, or made for the first time and the bonds are enduring. We share our love of driving, the beauty of America, racing and cars for a week and then plan for the next.

Part of the responsibility of managing an event like this is knowing when not to run.

We are in the beginning stages of a massive pandemic. Most of country is in some form of self-quarantine, travel is constrained, if not nearly impossible, non-essential commerce is shutting and the cases of infection continue to increase. As the infections are not forecast to peak until late June or July and no significant reduction until much later, there is no way to run One Lap this year and insulate our entrants from possible infection. This is not a situation I, or anyone else, should underestimate. This will get worse and running the event this year would put many in jeopardy, healthy or not, and I cannot let that happen. 

One Lap will be postponed until May 1st, 2021.

We’ve had a good uninterrupted run for 37 years. The only time we ever talked about cancelling the event was when Brock found out that my daughter was due just before the start of the 2005 event. As an excited expectant grandfather, he was willing to forego the running so I could be at the birth. Thankfully Leda, now 15 was born, 6 days before the start. 

We are in new territory with this postponement. There is nothing in the rules covering such a scenario but I think I’ve come up with a solution that will work. Perhaps not well, or perfect but as fair as I can make it with everyone’s concerns in mind.

I am freezing the entry list and schedule. Everyone on the list right now is on the list for 2021. The schedule will be the same, just a year later.

We saw unprecedented interest in One Lap this year with over 150 teams signed up, over 85 confirmed and 50 at one point on the wait list. Starting over with a new sign-up in August didn’t seem fair to those already signed up and ready to go in a few weeks. This decision also protects the viability of the event. Canceling and starting over would require refunds. Based on the money paid to tracks, for supplies, merchandise, new timing equipment and other expenses, that would be difficult. If a team requires a refund, I will be happy to provide it, less my expenses, but their entry for 2021 is removed. They are welcome to reapply but at the back of the list. Obviously, I am willing to review this rule on a case by case basis but the health the event is primary. 

I have chosen not to ask the tracks already paid for a refund as like Cannonball Circuit, LLC most are small businesses already whacked by cancelations. The route this year was well received and I was very pleased with it, so running it next year seemed to be the best solution for everyone. Our sponsors have also pledged their support throughout the decision making process, assuring us that they will be there when we need them. We encourage you to continue to patronize them as they are sure to be affected by global events. 

The only good news I have is for those that are on the list, your entry fee will stay $3000. Next year we will move all the registrations to Motorsport Reg for ease and security but I was raising the entry fee for the first time since 2009. Anyone on the list now, official or wait, is grandfathered in at the old rate.

This is not a decision I take lightly but these are difficult times that require proper respect for what may be coming. Ignoring the warnings of the health professionals will lead to needless suffering or worse. If we can do the right things now, we’ll be able to return to normal activities sooner, but not soon enough to salvage an event this year.  
Thank you for your support and friendship without which I couldn’t run this event. With your help, and a little patience, we’ll be back on the highways and racetracks soon enough. 

If anyone has any questions, concerns, complaints or just wants to talk, I may be sequestered like the rest of the country, but I still answer the phone.

Thank you,

Brock

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/20 11:28 a.m.

Figured the postponement was coming.. doesn't make it any easier to swallow.... Ugh.... Motivation is now at an all time low... 

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
3/20/20 7:21 p.m.

Has anyone mentioned Monaco?  No? Okay.  Monaco Formula 1 canceled.  As in not postponed.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/20/20 10:01 p.m.
Jerry From LA said:

Has anyone mentioned Monaco?  No? Okay.  Monaco Formula 1 canceled.  As in not postponed.

I'm a huge f1 fan.  I'm okay with this.  I hate that race.  Granted, the last 2 years have had more excitement than just a parade...  but still.  That race sucks out loud.

David S. Wallens
3/22/20 12:53 p.m.

Lane Motor Museum closed until at least April 6:

In compliance with Mayor Cooper's "Safer at Home" order, Lane Motor Museum will be closed to the public until April 6. We will re-evaluate the situation on Sunday, April 5, and post an update on Monday, April 6. See below for updates to upcoming museum events:

1. The next several Lil' Learning Lanes on 3/27 and 4/24 are canceled.

2. The LMM Cars & Coffee event on 4/28 is still currently scheduled but will be reviewed as the date approaches.

Thank you for your understanding. We love our guests and want to keep everyone healthy!

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/24/20 12:35 p.m.

IMSA announces changes to the 2020 IMSA WetherTech Championship and IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge Schedules:

• The Acura Sports Car Grand Prix has been moved to September 25 -27, 2020.
  • The IMSA Monterey SportsCar Championship at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca has been moved to September 4-6, 2020.
  • The 23rdannual Motul Petit Le Mans at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta has been moved to October 14-17, 2020.
keithedwards
keithedwards Reader
4/6/20 8:30 a.m.

MINIUSA has announced that MINI Takes The States 2020 has been postponed until 2021.

https://www.minitakesthestates.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbeGKzp-tjQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR22iWY2znvJSwdJJ5p-fPg_ElYIDyBArdcLorYlwZDQogCbz8MLsjOFAVM

I prefer the first link. Look for my red 2003 MINI and teardrop trailer.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/20 10:05 p.m.

The World of Speed Museum in Portland, Oregon closed permanently today.

https://www.worldofspeed.org/

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
5/12/20 10:55 p.m.

Hooked on Driving at Pocono for this Sunday (May 17) was just postponed until August 2nd. 

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pIciEqFWkV7TGRihjDT0nwbz1uVxVfG8epk0j5vGcep8bFisYwFW66W9cbN6KuJc