1 2
Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock UberDork
8/22/14 2:12 p.m.

We moved from a non front plate state to one where it is required. Car is a 12' Elantra and dealer say's that there is no mounting brackets for it. They say to screw it to a flat place in the front bumper. I don't really want to do that. Any better ideas than 3M double sided tape?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/14 2:22 p.m.

I think screwing it into the bumper is about as good as you can do, short of replacing the bumper with one that has the integrated license plate holder. Are you looking for something less permanent or more secure?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock UberDork
8/22/14 2:23 p.m.

Something that requires me putting less holes in the bumper cover.

kylini
kylini Reader
8/22/14 2:25 p.m.

Suction cups and front windshield should be legal. I knew a guy with a Ferrari F430 who applied a vinyl fake copy of his plate to the bumper (definitely not legal, but he got away with it). If you have any bolts in the front grill for tie downs/tow bars/etc., then you can make an L-bracket and attach to that.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/22/14 2:33 p.m.

In the windshield is the way to go.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
8/22/14 2:40 p.m.

In CA the windshield is a grey area. Might not be technically legal/visible enough. Looks pretty ghetto too. Perfectly fine for a ricer Civic, but not a nice car/family hauler.

What kind of car and what does the bumper look like? There has to be some sort of factory option because quite a few states require it and manufacturers usually abide by US/State laws.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock UberDork
8/22/14 2:43 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: In the windshield is the way to go.

I absolutely can't stand having anything on the dash or in the windshield. I had a mild panic attack when they put the inspection sticker on it. Drives me insane. But also I'm reading many reports that in the windshield will get you pulled over and likely a warning for improper display or worse case scenario a $200 fine for not displaying it at all.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
8/22/14 2:46 p.m.

I've seen them zip-tied/rubber banded to the passenger side sun visor, flipped down with full frontal visibility. Somewhat ghetto...but ya gotta at least try to conform to the Laws of the Man...

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
8/22/14 2:48 p.m.

Oregon requires a front plate and will ticket you for having it in the windshield.

According to a a state trooper I once asked about it, as long as they can point the laser speed detector/radar gun thing at your plate they don't care where it is.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock UberDork
8/22/14 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Cone-Junkie:

Nick_Comstock wrote: Car is a 12' Elantra and dealer say's that there is no mounting brackets for it. They say to screw it to a flat place in the front bumper. I don't really want to do that.

It has two little dimples in the bumper cover for the mounting screws. I still don't want to put any holes in it. I guess I'll see if it's feasible to make a bracket to attach somewhere to the lower grill.

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
8/22/14 2:52 p.m.

I am not sure if the Elantra has it but some Hyundai's have the screw in tow hook access port in the front bumper. There are kits to install the plate on a bracket that screws into the tow hook.

Hope that helps.

In my part of town I got a note for no front plate when it was just too close to the car in front for the officer to see it. It wasn't fun getting to the car in the morning for my commute and finding a citation there. It was a fix it ticket, no fee but still.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
8/22/14 3:01 p.m.

Ontario also requires a front plate and it is absolutely illegal for it to be in the windshield.

Two screws through the front bumper cover on the Golf. That is all you do. No brackets from VW.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
8/22/14 3:09 p.m.

Don't put one until The Man says something about it. Wisconsin is a front-plate-state, but I haven't had one on a car in decades.

Edit: My F/S Ford van had one, as the bumper cover had a molded spot for the plate. It would have looked silly with an empty hole there.

chili_head
chili_head New Reader
8/22/14 3:10 p.m.
Advan046 wrote: I am not sure if the Elantra has it but some Hyundai's have the screw in tow hook access port in the front bumper. There are kits to install the plate on a bracket that screws into the tow hook. Hope that helps. In my part of town I got a note for no front plate when it was just too close to the car in front for the officer to see it. It wasn't fun getting to the car in the morning for my commute and finding a citation there. It was a fix it ticket, no fee but still.

^This. Search 'Platypus Mount'

Leafy
Leafy Reader
8/22/14 3:13 p.m.

Its a hyndai. Attack with drywall screws, dont measure, and certainly do not under any circumstances use a level.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
8/22/14 3:28 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to Cone-Junkie:
Nick_Comstock wrote: Car is a 12' Elantra and dealer say's that there is no mounting brackets for it. They say to screw it to a flat place in the front bumper. I don't really want to do that.
It has two little dimples in the bumper cover for the mounting screws. I still don't want to put any holes in it. I guess I'll see if it's feasible to make a bracket to attach somewhere to the lower grill.

Luckily the license plate will completely cover the holes in the bumper

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/22/14 3:49 p.m.

I'd do it myself, but I'm on my phone and only have a moment. Go look at Elantra sale listings in front plate states to see if anyone has done something you find inoffensive.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
8/22/14 4:03 p.m.

I vote towhook. I had my buddy 3D print me a little extender out of titanium to go into the odd thread size BMW uses (M16x3.175, or a modified Acme 5/8-8). We'll see how well it threads in with nothing but a tumble after the print.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock UberDork
8/22/14 4:10 p.m.
chili_head wrote:
Advan046 wrote: I am not sure if the Elantra has it but some Hyundai's have the screw in tow hook access port in the front bumper. There are kits to install the plate on a bracket that screws into the tow hook. Hope that helps. In my part of town I got a note for no front plate when it was just too close to the car in front for the officer to see it. It wasn't fun getting to the car in the morning for my commute and finding a citation there. It was a fix it ticket, no fee but still.
^This. Search 'Platypus Mount'

Thanks!!! Found it and will be ordering soon.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/hyundai-platypus-pro-series-license-plate-mount/

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock UberDork
8/22/14 6:54 p.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

Until we move back to a state that doesn't have stupid rules.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
8/22/14 8:47 p.m.

Got pulled over for the passenger sun visor method in VT.

I've had this for a couple years now, though:

Miata 6-19-14 (7)

Stock Miata plate bracket trimmed down to height, bolted to the lip.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
8/22/14 9:11 p.m.

here is another tow hook mount alternative. It costs less and the mounting position is adjustable. http://www.rhoplate.com/Products-Hyundai.html

I used the Elantra one on my 2009 accent. I verified the thread pitch was the same with a trip to my local hardware store with the oem towhook and some searching on the internet. Had to add a couple washers to the mounting rod to allow the kit to work with my bumper which is out a little further from the hook's mounting point than an elantra apparently. about the only complaint I have is when I catch a glimpse of the backside of the plate mount, its starting to show some surface rust. annoying but not like it cant just be hit with some paint. at some point. but all the hardware is real solid, not flimsy at all.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
8/22/14 9:34 p.m.

I have the rho plate on one of my cars. I kind of hate the offset plate look, but not as much as I hate drilling holes in the front of the car. It works well.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock UberDork
8/22/14 9:39 p.m.

Just looked at the thread title and damn I butchered the spelling of license. Sorry spelling Nazis.

Montana
Montana New Reader
8/22/14 9:56 p.m.

here in ontario canada people tend to ziptie to the front grille so they can cut them off and remove it at shows

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0ay2Pg6EdZk3EX1CIiyytUx4SSOa4TeEFg55i92GGpriUCvHwhCCWuk9FiUaoF4d