EvanR
EvanR Dork
11/14/15 12:51 a.m.

My '90 Integra was always maintained at the dealer by the PO. The book calls for changing the MTL at 30k intervals. I suspect the dealer did that.

The book also says to use 10W30 engine oil, SAE grade SE or SF. Obviously no longer available.

In my Scion, I used a RedLine product, changed it once, and never thought about it again. I checked RedLine's site, and they recommend their MTL 75W80 GL-4.

But there are folks here who know older Honda/Acura stuff way better than I do. What's your suggestion for MTL?

old_
old_ Reader
11/14/15 1:39 a.m.

Or

EvanR
EvanR Dork
11/14/15 2:06 a.m.

Have you tried those? Which is better?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/14/15 7:51 a.m.

I've seen the after effects of the thick redline in an Integra trans. It was not good. The OE stuff is cheap enough online, it's a good product and you know it works. Seems like the smart move IMO.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/14/15 8:14 a.m.

Remember, gear oil and motor oil viscosities are measured differently. 75W90 gear oil is actually of equivalent viscosity to a 10W40 motor oil, for example.

I wouldn't hesitate to run the Redline, they know their stuff, but you can't go wrong with OE Honda either.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
11/14/15 9:36 a.m.

I've always had the best luck with the OEM honda fluid. It's not very expensive and my local Honda dealer keeps a dozen or so bottles in stock.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/14/15 1:22 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I've seen the after effects of the thick redline in an Integra trans. It was not good. The OE stuff is cheap enough online, it's a good product and you know it works. Seems like the smart move IMO.

shrug I used the Redline in my '01 Integra LS … at a 150k there don't seem to be any bad side effects

DD, autocross and track day car

EvanR
EvanR Dork
11/14/15 1:31 p.m.

Hm. I did some Googling after I got the first reply. I probably shouldn't have read the S2000 forum posts, because I think those guys are nuts, but posts there say the Honda MTF is only good for 3-5000 miles, so "change it at every oil change".

That's pretty much the opposite of my purpose. I'd like to change the oil and not worry about it for 60k, rather than the 30k intervals in the book.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/14/15 1:33 p.m.

Honda MTF is fine for a DD … regardless of what the idiots on S2000 say

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/15 2:29 p.m.
wbjones wrote: Honda MTF is fine for a DD … regardless of what the idiots on S2000 say

Actually it is not the idiots. Lots of knowledgeable people think that way.

I have an S2000 and you can feel the degradation of the oil in 3k miles. I change it every other oil change.

The S2000 transmission is unlike any other Honda transmission though ...

BTW, I have owned 6 other fwd Hondas from a 1980 Civic to a 1990 Prelude. On those I just used regular engine oil.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XBuSkkSaWKQLclzEvhhdNwU2LtnK26R70cR4XGX6Qm4R3XhsYixPxd2ddRSBPlMR