1 2
fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
8/12/13 11:16 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
wae wrote:
cghstang wrote: We probably would need to try really low pressures on the rear of the Miata and get some kind of magical front tire that would stay clear of mud and allow turning and stopping in slime.
I believe that what you describe are called "skis". :)

Exactly my train of thought when I grooved my hankooks, they are basically siped paddles, I have excellent traction in the thickest of mud.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/12/13 11:41 a.m.
cghstang wrote: So how do you turn or stop with the front wheels in the air?

hydraulic turning brakes to brake the rear wheels individually.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
8/12/13 11:59 a.m.

I used a couple of old Lassas that one had every other set of blocks cut, and the other had every third set cut. They seemed to work pretty well, but I'm also FWD.

fidelity101 sounds like he's got the right idea on a rwd drive car. Maybe make cuts across the tires for the rear, and around the circumference for the front. I'm sure the fronts would get trashed fast, so maybe look for a hard compound.

BTW - did a quick check, it looks like Dmack USA still has some tires available on the site, or are they out when you call them? I'm thinking of picking up two new Medium DMG3's before nationals, so I can cut a couple of my soft tires for mud.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
8/12/13 12:03 p.m.

Oh yeah, I seem to recall Chris Greenhouse was running Snow/Ice rally tires at 100 Acre Wood this year in his SRT-4, and getting very good traction compared to others running gravel tires. It was a pretty sloppy mess out there.

I can't remember which brand/model he was using though, just not Dmacks.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/12/13 12:18 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: fidelity101 sounds like he's got the right idea on a rwd drive car. Maybe make cuts across the tires for the rear, and around the circumference for the front. I'm sure the fronts would get trashed fast, so maybe look for a hard compound.

That's what I did on my old set:

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/12/13 12:19 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Oh yeah, I seem to recall Chris Greenhouse was running Snow/Ice rally tires at 100 Acre Wood this year in his SRT-4, and getting very good traction compared to others running gravel tires. It was a pretty sloppy mess out there. I can't remember which brand/model he was using though, just not Dmacks.

Studded tires aren't allowed for rallycross though - was he using the studs?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
8/12/13 12:30 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
eastsidemav wrote: Oh yeah, I seem to recall Chris Greenhouse was running Snow/Ice rally tires at 100 Acre Wood this year in his SRT-4, and getting very good traction compared to others running gravel tires. It was a pretty sloppy mess out there. I can't remember which brand/model he was using though, just not Dmacks.
Studded tires aren't allowed for rallycross though - was he using the studs?

Nope, no studs. For some reason now, Yokohama is coming to mind, but I can't swear that was the brand he was using. Also, whatever he was using may be discontinued. The Dmacks are 205/65/15, and that's probably too big for my car, so to go that route, I'd need to find another source, which at this point probably means finding someone who will ship from Europe.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/12/13 12:39 p.m.
irish44j wrote: But if you're only using them in MUD conditions, they probably won't wear very fast. Just don't use them on dry/gravel days.

It WAS a mud event where I killed them.

Granted, I did win my class.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
8/12/13 1:47 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
eastsidemav wrote: fidelity101 sounds like he's got the right idea on a rwd drive car. Maybe make cuts across the tires for the rear, and around the circumference for the front. I'm sure the fronts would get trashed fast, so maybe look for a hard compound.

Mine are a bit more open than that (in areas) but the blocks are a lot smaller.

I basically took the existing design/tread pattern and cut the blocks in half and staggered them, some portions I would cut ever other block out or cut every block but have a left and right bias or something. Then flipped the blade around (to have 2 individual blades instead of a hoop) and went around the tire a few laps. My blocks are small and they wear but the grip is still pretty incredible.

Knurled wrote:
irish44j wrote: But if you're only using them in MUD conditions, they probably won't wear very fast. Just don't use them on dry/gravel days.
It WAS a mud event where I killed them. Granted, I *did* win my class.

You likely killed them because you have way too much power! lol

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
8/12/13 2:07 p.m.
irish44j wrote:

Hm. I still have those 4 tires Eastsidemav gifted me late last year, unmounted and collecting dust since I was gifted the other set already mounted (when I was really only fishing for rims to use.) I must be really "gifted".

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
8/12/13 2:17 p.m.

Jerry, bring some tires over some time and I will teach you everything I know about the ways of the groover.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
8/12/13 2:50 p.m.

This is what a Nokian mud tire (or is that tyre?) used in WRC looks like.

wae
wae Reader
8/12/13 2:52 p.m.
cghstang wrote: Jerry, bring some tires over some time and I will teach you everything I know about the ways of the groover.

And I've got a manual tire machine that does pretty well with 14" rally tires, so grab some rims and next time you're passing through we can mount 'em up!

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
8/12/13 4:19 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: This is what a Nokian mud tire (or is that tyre?) used in WRC looks like.

That's not a mud tyre. This is a mud tire!

Technically, they're called mud/snow tires on the sidewall. Other MUD rally tires look like this: or

I may have been mildly obsessed with rally/rallycross mud tires for the last 5 years or so.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
8/12/13 6:09 p.m.
wae wrote:
cghstang wrote: Jerry, bring some tires over some time and I will teach you everything I know about the ways of the groover.
And I've got a manual tire machine that does pretty well with 14" rally tires, so grab some rims and next time you're passing through we can mount 'em up!

berkeleying sweet. Guess I'm on a hunt for 14" rims again.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DVzoy2uA3sakvNWF65KY8lzPkIwI1USFg5UJHOG8QxFe7vnuQTpupzlH5NXticER