Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
5/1/14 1:01 p.m.

I tried to googled this and asked on two mustang forums but so far no answer.

I am looking at getting a newer Mustang convertible (2010 – 2014). Infact, I have my eye on two good deals, both out of state.

I have not been able to test drive one yet, the weather and my schedule have not allowed me to go find one and test drive it both times it was warm out. The weather looking horrible over the next week also.

My issues is that I want to know if the car is going to be OK for kids in the back seat. Not if they will fit – I drive a Mini Cooper with two large car seats now, so I know that they will be fine. I want to know if the kids will be stuck looking at the front seats while being buffeted horribly by wind while driving 25 mph.

One of the big reasons to get this car is my wish for fun family drives. I have an almost 4 year old son who couldn’t be more into cars and a 7 year old girl. I know that even if I were to get then on a 30 min test drive, they would be so excited that they wouldn’t have anything negative to say about it. I just don’t want the newness to wear off and then be stuck with them not wanting to get into my car when the top is down.

We have a GMC Acadia that is the primary family car, so the PITA that a coupe brings is not an issue (again, they love the Mini, but they like how they can see out of it compared to my old G35).

Also – what is the deal with Ford? The new 2015 Mustang is awesome, I was hoping that it would be enough to force them to throw some incentives out on the current car and to depreciate the newish used cars. Instead, it is near impossible to even find a GT convertible, especially in a manual.

plance1
plance1 Dork
5/2/14 12:28 a.m.

bump

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
5/2/14 8:40 a.m.

I paid attention to the rear seat comfort when I was trying to decide between a Mustang convertible and the FRS.

You get beat up pretty good by the wind in the back of the Mustang at any kind of speed. They certainly wont be privy to any conversation going on up front. Seats are not much better than FRS for space except you get to jump over the quarters to get in. Kids like that.

To me, having to slather the kids in sunscreen every time I went for a drive would kill the fun.

Slowlane
Slowlane New Reader
5/2/14 10:30 a.m.

I recently bought my wife a CPO 2012 convertible. I think the back seat is fairly decent - even compared to the 2004 coupe I owned. We were able to place a rear facing car seat with my 4 month old grandson in the back behind me (5'9", 250lbs) driving. Worked out fine but I have a fairly short inseam. I also carried my two nieces, one in a fwd facing car seat and one in a booster. They fit fine. We've also had a number of adults back there, though leg room is sparse. The backseat in a FRS/BRZ someone mentioned above is not fit for humans of any size, kind of like 911 rear "seats".

Wind buffeting, well that depends on the speeds, winds etc. Obviously we had the top up with the infant in the car. The little girls liked it a lot (3 and 5 years old) but it was slow speeds around town and to the McD's drive through on a warm sunny day. They had sunglasses on. I doubt they'd much like highway speeds.

Hope any of this helps. The V6 premium we bought is an awesome car for what it is.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
5/2/14 10:44 a.m.

I have had two Mustang Convertibles in a row as the main family DD. This year we are finally breaking down and getting a Lincoln MkC instead due to back seat issues. For the last two years the cars have ferried my wife, my 13 year old daughter and two 14 year old class mates to school and back several times a week. The school run is 20-30 mins each way. The kids are often given the option of having the Mustang convertible or my Volvo C30 with more rear space, and they choose the Mustang.

We are not a short family. I am 6', my wife 5'8" and my daughter is about to pass my wife. If I'm driving my wife will take the front seat and my daughter behind her. If my wife drives I will normally choose to sit in the back, top up or down with my daughter ahead of me. The reason for that is by the time the passenger seat is far enough forward for there to be leg room in the rear, there isn't enough room for me in the front, although my daughter fits.

I have a friend with 7 and 11 year old kids who's had a Mustang Coupe for three years as well, they have a TaurusX as the DD.

Due to the shape of the roof, there is actually more headroom in the back of the convertible even with the top up than in the back of the coupe. I don't fit the back of the coupe, although as I've said I frequently travel in the back of the 'vert top up or down. I can sit back there for 20 mins no problem, an hour without dying, after that I may start to go postal on you, but I as I say, I'm 6' and the wrong side of 230lb's

For us it's worked up until now, but I know families who think an Explorer or Grand Cherokee is just too small a vehicle for 2 single digit rug rats, even though their parents are shorter than us and way lighter than me.

It's up to you, but for us it's worked just fine until we had two 5'8" people in the house.

Good luck you won’t regret it is my advice. We are already dreading giving up the Mustang as much as we are looking forward to the Lincoln. We already know there is another Mustang in the future a couple of years down the road.

Edit to add pic of three teens in the Mustang. Mine is the one in green behind the drivers seat, which is positioned for my not so small frame.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
6/13/14 3:10 p.m.

OK, I went out and bought a 2013 Mustang GT convertible. The car is a blast. After driving Miatas and Mini Coppers, who knew power was so much fun.

I thought I got some good pics of the kids in the car seats, but the kids do fit with no issues and the wind is not bad at all in the back or front seats.

My 7 year old girl needed a seat belt extender for her high back booster seat as the stock seatbelt latch is burried and ard to reach.

I found the car with 5,000 miles on it and lots of cosmeic and performance mods. Lowering springs w/ adjustable trackbar, offroad H pipe and axel back ehxaust with a Brenspeed tune.

GCooper
GCooper New Reader
6/13/14 9:36 p.m.

That stang looks fantastic

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/13/14 9:51 p.m.

We take lots of family weekend drives. And because the family is with me I can't hoon around as much as I would by myself. So I've been thinking a convertible may add a little bit of adventure to our outings. The problem is my six year old throws a fit if we even roll down the windows. I doubt he'll be happy with the top down. Enjoy your new car!

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
6/14/14 10:46 a.m.

My son, who recently turned 4, was a pain when riding in my Mini. I couldn't have the windows open even a crack, much less the sunroof. But he loves the convertible. We have gone on rides where it started to get cool out and he used my coat as a blanket rather then let me put the top up.

BTW - heated seats go well with a vert.

I think in the other car the wind blew right into his face. judging by my daughters long hair, this car, the wind seems to come from the back like a station wagon effect. That probably helps.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JFhHMuyU3ekzNwCf3sgAddtZaDedAXAvhc0ikQfgm9MMrt6VXO8VYF5I2IkEcLyz