1 2
Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

Nothing flat spotted tires like my old Mustang with an overly aggressive driver!  I remember coming down the pit straight at Sebring with thumping so loud that people were leaning out over the pit wall to see what was going on!

Those were the days!

Young drivers today in the ABS era probably don't even know about flat spots.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/17/19 2:05 p.m.

Any of you freaks want the 92 pictured up and to the left.   These are going up in value and I don't like stuff like that.

Just don't ask for details, it would take a while.

It only has 100 miles on it.  Currently on 17x8 five lug ponys and 04 Cobra brakes. 

Danny Shields
4/17/19 3:18 p.m.

Amazing!

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/17/19 3:47 p.m.

It did roll over one time but what’s a few hundred k between friends.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/19 6:30 p.m.

Man, I loved this thing.  Started life as a F Stock autocrosser getting slaughtered by John Ames, Mark Chiles, Jeff Altenburg and GH Sharp.  Then, thanks to some SEDIV autocross in 1991, with early internet BBS news rumbling of a new class and at the goading/encouragement by a youthful JG, Tim, Marc Dana, Rich Shafer and others it transformed into one of the first American Sedan cars in SEDIV.  First under the World Challenge equivalency rule (to keep the stock FI), and then later as a "full-blown" carb'd AS car.  Here at Mid-Ohio WOR Games, circa 1993.

Danny Shields
4/17/19 7:02 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Got me on that one!

I am sure your car has generated a lot more great memories than a museum piece with no miles. I put over 100K on my '85 GT in five years, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
4/17/19 7:14 p.m.

Only 53 years on this one but damn is that a surprising number to type out as my Dad and I have been working on it since the late 90's. It was only a 30 something year old car when we started.  Always a contender for slowest time of the day at an autocross but one of the more exciting cars to try and navigate through the cones. 

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
4/18/19 10:37 a.m.

Bought my first Mustang in 1974 when I was 14 years old. Spent all my lawn mowing money on it...$465! I fixed the starter and cleaned it up real nice and was tuning it when my Dad got home and made me take it back. I was a 14 year old kid who didn't need a car and I would probably kill myself in it. I only got $400 back, to teach me a lesson about spending my money foolishly and it was sold later that day for $1000. Hey, it now started and ran great! Oh, it was a 1969 Shelby Mustang w/428 and 4 speed. I see it out on a weekend drive every now and then. I bet I would have killed myself in it!

Dad did let me buy a 68 Mustang a few weeks later. Blown up 6 cylinder for $500 that took another year to get running and 6 more months to get everything working great. Also bought a 69 Convertible a week after my 16th birthday and I still have it!

Owned over 60 Mustangs and currently have 17! Currently looking for a Mustang II for a project I have planned.

Bruce

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/18/19 11:09 a.m.

In reply to egnorant :

My favorite Mustang II....Charlie Kemp's IMSA racer

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
4/18/19 11:51 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I REALLY want it, but I'm almost certain I can't afford it.

I've got a soft spot for Mustangs that handle...

keithedwards
keithedwards New Reader
4/18/19 3:57 p.m.

Recently scanned a bunch of old photos. This was my wife's first car, taken in the early '70s.

Bought for $150. You can't tell from the pictures, but it was a Maine car, so it probably didn't have much life left...

CanadianCD9A
CanadianCD9A New Reader
4/18/19 8:33 p.m.

I have a few stories! The family business is Mustangs these days, so I guess this fits.

I bought my first car, a 1964.5 Mustang coupe with 260 V8 & C4 around 17 years ago. It will turn 55 in July. Still nowhere near done, I'll be EcoBoost 2.3L swapping it instead of rebuilding the rotten 260/C4. Originally Caspian Blue with a really good looking white and blue interior. I'll draw heavy inspiration from this car stance- and wheel-wise, and keep the appearance very close to stock. Might convert to manual with some suspension and braking upgrades, because I fully intend to make it my daily driver.

We bought an early 1965 Mustang fastback with the K-code 289 & 4 speed in 2001. All numbers matching, factory 4.11:1 rear. It was rotten as heck, but it looks great these days; my brother bought it from the business and enjoys it on sunny days. The guy who sold it to us because he wanted a 1967 non-K coupe over it...his loss, I guess. These solid-roller engines sound GREAT with the Arvinode exhaust system (essentially no mufflers, factory installed in K-codes for a couple of months in late 1964).

Here's it idling around - my Evo 1 in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcY1RN7kzSg

Not my idea, but my dad really wanted a 429 Mustang. Back in the day, we passed on a Calypso Coral Boss 429 roller for $8,500 (!!!), but stumbled across this thing in northern Michigan in 2004. Nothing special at the time, other than a failed drag racing project with an early-ish VIN and missing the powertrain. It was sold to us by a big name hotrodder who just couldn't cut it up (any further) into a custom. Well, even though it was a hacked up rolling shell, I'm glad we picked it up. 

It's a factory 429 SCJ/4 speed car. Unknown to us on purchase, it appears to be the last Ford factory race car ever made - built in August, 1970,  2 weeks before Henry Ford pulled the plug on the racing program (in September, 1970) and sold out the back door as a roller to a Ford employee in 1971, and cut up for the cage and big slicks around 1978-1980. It has basically no options other than the big block, and Grabber Blue paint, which was exactly how the 1969/1970 Mustang drag cars were optioned. For more info on those, read this. Ours was sold and delivered to Ford Marketing Corporation and delivered to Dearborn Steel & Tubing, famous for building Ford's race cars, where they removed the hood, and removed the powertrain to send it to Holman-Moody. From there, the hammer fell on the racing program, and it sat as a brand new car, missing its engine and transmission. I found the car's original VIN-stamped powertrain in Corpus Christi, Texas, sitting in a crate for 40+ years. The story from the seller was, it went to Holman-Moody in 1970 for the full treatment, but Ford surrendered it because the racing program was done and they didn't want to pay the bill. The lady who had it said her husband bought it from Holman-Moody in 1971 for $20,000 for his hot rod, but never installed it. She still remembers him signing the check, but it sat in the crate for 40+ years. We opened it up, and it is archaeological blueprinted gold.

Regardless, it's back together, and has a lot of the parts that were missing from the chassis. The wiring harness chunks missing from our car were present on the engine, along with a lot of prototype parts with non-existent part numbers. This is the only 1971-73 Mustang sportsroof/Mach 1 with roll-down rear windows, all others were just glued in. The brackets are all handmade for it, hammer peen marks visible everywhere. Some other stuff, like the clutch bracket and dash mounting brackets, were also made by hand. We have confirmation from Kevin Marti that this is the first 429 Sportsroof Mustang built in 1971, possibly the first 429 car period. It was built alongside the show cars, which were a month behind schedule. Even though our VIN isn't in the 2- or 3-digit range, it was made on schedule in August, and cut the line by a few thousand orders. This one should be done soon. We had plans to send it to an auction house in the US next year, but the current owner of my dad's A/FX Comet, and other significant Ford race cars, made contact and seems to be interested, so it may not even get that far.

Also, a total basket of a 1965 Mustang K-code fastback. Original powertrain gone, but we have a replacement. This is a serious project that I think we should pass along.

A 1972 Mustang convertible with 351 Cobra Jet package, so pretty rare car. Original red-on-red California car, but at least 50 pounds of bondo were scraped off the quarters, and it was definitely driven like a Dukes of Hazzard Charger along the way. Yikes. Needs assembly. 

We had another 1964.5 Mustang coupe (again with 260 V8 & C4) a bit later (maybe 2001-2002?). Nice California car, gave it a quick restoration and sold it. Very sweet little car.

I had a 1988 Mustang GT 5.0L hatchback when I was 16. Bought it wrecked, fixed it, it was a pile. I modified it a bit and drove it around a bit during summer, but it was just a poor investment. The rust that we fixed came back, and I just lost interest.

1987 Mustang GT 5.0L and 1992 Mustang GT 5.0L convertibles came and went. We bought the '92 modded because it was $3500, and was decently quick with full bolt-ons, but had gremlins galore. I can't seem to find any pictures of the '92 anywhere.

Danny Shields
4/19/19 7:00 a.m.

Wow! Beautiful Mustangs and great before-after photos! 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/19/19 7:21 a.m.

In reply to Tactical Penguin :

Well, there's what I paid for the car, upgrades to the brakes, wheels, suspension.  I an just about to start with round two of suspension, consisting of a torque arm Koni DA shocks and A-arms.  On the shelf I have AFR heads with a matching cam, everything to upgrade from 265 to 350 hp except gaskets.

I have not looked into what these go for yet.  However at a Grattan HPDE a fella who appeared to know what he was talking about, got all touchy feely with my car and started checking out all of its private parts.  Commented that it cornered pretty flat, inquired about what was done to it then told me it was worth about $6000.  Kind of strange, but it's all I have to start with.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
4/19/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Yeah, Fox pricing seems to be all over the place and I'd have no idea what to ask for a clean GT that looks like it'd be a great dual-purpose car.

To me, I'd think it'd bring at least ten grand on bring a trailer with the tasteful modifications.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JyBGLNkXKMolhjoM5LEm443WWe3lGsk4n7JiMgJ7eXtYPl6qRhbct1xui2cHGCGI