1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/11 12:12 p.m.

Mazda has been trumpeting its "gram strategy" to cut weight on all of its products, and the best example of how this philosophy works is in the new MX-5 GT race car. The roadster, which will compete in the Britcar MSA British Endurance Championship this year, weighs just 1,874 pounds while packing nearly twice the punch of the standard MX-5.

The heavily modified MX-5 engine produces 275 horsepower – enough juice to propel the light-weight roadster to 60 miles per hour in a scant three seconds flat. The race-ready Mazda can also crest 160 mph while looking damn fine with its new Spirited Green paint job.

In order to cut several hundred pounds off the base MX-5, the Jota Sport racing team removed interior components, revised other interior fittings and dipped the car's shell in acid. The doors, like many interior components, are made of carbon fiber and the windows are made of polycarbonate. The racing team also lowered the engine height, adjusted the suspension and added a six-speed paddle shift transmission to aid with handling.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/23/ultra-lightweight-mazda-mx-5-gt-unveiled-for-british-enduro-raci/

Raze
Raze Dork
3/23/11 12:16 p.m.
Javelin wrote: "...added a six-speed paddle shift transmission to aid with handling."

Does not compute.

Edit: I understand what they're saying, I just don't like how they said it...

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
3/23/11 12:20 p.m.

Apparently Jota's is not the first acid-dipped Miata. 949Racing did theirs as well.

dkarthik
dkarthik New Reader
3/23/11 12:21 p.m.

Mmmmmm.... so Pretty...

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
3/23/11 12:22 p.m.

So, when will these be available at dealers?

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
3/23/11 12:40 p.m.

I just drooled a little bit there!

Can they teach me how to have 4-500 lbs off my car? It really needs it!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/11 12:45 p.m.

I'm always skeptical reading weight numbers, but if that's legit it's really impressive. With an NC no less! They start at around 2600 lbs.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/11 12:53 p.m.

Could I please get one with the regular old engine and no paddle shifters? Honestly, I'd be happy with 180hp in a 1900 pound Miata -- if the price was remotely reasonable.

FlightService
FlightService Reader
3/23/11 1:03 p.m.

Why Mazda doesn't do a factory racer (or car in white) option is beyond me.

Charge me for a base Miata gut the interior, add a cage, flash the ECU, give me the 6 speed, give it the limited slip diff with the higher reduction gearing and let her rip!!!

Other than the cage you would just have to skip steps in the assembley line, Process wise very simple.

Shoot skip the cage make it a MazdaSpeed or recommended supplier required and let them go. Have a real, from the factory, Spec class.

no touchy, NO TOUCHY!!!!

ronholm
ronholm New Reader
3/23/11 1:05 p.m.

Dipping it in acid...

what the heck... around here we just let them rust...

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/23/11 1:11 p.m.

How much weight does the acid dip actually save? That sounds pretty crazy. [this isn't the first I've heard of the process, I just always think ... is that really worthwhile??]

killerkane
killerkane Reader
3/23/11 1:18 p.m.

That is pretty cool!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/11 1:21 p.m.

Still a girls car.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
3/23/11 1:27 p.m.
dculberson wrote: How much weight does the acid dip actually save? That sounds pretty crazy. [this isn't the first I've heard of the process, I just always think ... is that really worthwhile??]

Weight savings are contingent on the car getting dipped. In many cases it's worth it (if yu can afford) when dealing with minimum weight specs. Dipping a chassis sheds some pounds that can be added back in places where it does more good, like lower and closer to center-mass.

It's great to Mazda continue with its' grassroots racing program. There's no better way to groom and maintain and enthusiastic customer base. Too bad Honda and Toyota lost that lovin' feeling, but major kudos to Mazda.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
3/23/11 1:31 p.m.
dculberson wrote: How much weight does the acid dip actually save? That sounds pretty crazy. [this isn't the first I've heard of the process, I just always think ... is that really worthwhile??]

I'm 99% sure the acid dip is the standard dip we use when the prod car guys start with a tub. It removed all the paint, seam sealer, undercoating, etc but leaves all the (iron) metal (dissolves aluminum though). Saves some weight, probably more on the mx5 as they probably gooped it up.

Heres my F Prod miata circa 2007:

Kendall

imirk
imirk Reader
3/23/11 1:34 p.m.

oooh shiny!

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/23/11 1:35 p.m.

Cool, thanks! That makes a lot more sense to me.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
3/23/11 1:43 p.m.
FlightService wrote: Why Mazda doesn't do a factory racer (or car in white) option is beyond me. Charge me for a base Miata gut the interior, add a cage, flash the ECU, give me the 6 speed, give it the limited slip diff with the higher reduction gearing and let her rip!!!

Mazda offered a stripped down Miata "Club Sport" back in 2003, intended for autocrossers and club racers. Only about 50 were made yet they were still a sales failure, with many sitting on dealer lots for months and selling only after steep discounts.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/11 1:49 p.m.

The Club Sport wasn't hardcore enough is why it was a sales failure IMO. Look at how Ford handles special racing Mustangs for a good example of how to do this. All orders go through Ford Racing, not a normal dealer (though FR dealers can like TASCA). They have cars specifically designed for certain classes (the CJ for NHRA SS, the Boss 302S for Grand Am, the Boss 302R for GT, etc).

Mazda is going to attempt this with selling a B-Spec Mazda2 through Mazdaspeed, but they really ought to sell an MX-5 Cup Miata and maybe a Grand Am RX-8?

imirk
imirk Reader
3/23/11 1:52 p.m.

So this is probably a GT4? car

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/23/11 1:55 p.m.

110lbs on an E30 M3

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/23/11 3:54 p.m.

That's a lot!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/11 4:01 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: 110lbs on an E30 M3

that's a lot of E36 M3

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
3/23/11 4:13 p.m.

They need to make an "R1" like they did the RX-7. Essentially that car- or even something like the neon ACR package.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/23/11 4:48 p.m.

0-60 in 3 seconds "flat" (3.0 seconds)? Really? I know it's light, but a Zonda needs 600+ HP to do it in 3.5 seconds. I'm just saying...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vVjCVyIph4MjtOIAQ2qKEc3vvIaLjKOdUgOSsXwRR78ZwokNO9Os2SyaCynM2GKY