1 2 3
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/22/22 9:29 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

That doesn't help when the owner of the car has it so loud that the speakers clip. (Usually Jeeps)

i personally would want it OFF because I don't want a lit screen in my peripheral vision when I am trying to drive.  

There is a hard button that says "SCREEN OFF" that will do just that, whether you're playing music or not. Easy.

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
3/22/22 11:08 a.m.

I shopped at 3 of them 2 years.

I ended up with the Challenger as it was the most comfortable for my frame(6'3" and 220lb or so) plus it us it could fit the wife and two kids in decent comfort and the trunk is huge.

Mine was a RT shaker package which had the track pack and 6spd. Was a great car but things changed with work and family so I'm in a GTI now. Wish I had the funds to have kept it thou.

The mustang GT is a great car but it's a two seater and the manual has a bunch of documented issues.

I liked the camaro styling but the interior was like a coffin for me.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/22/22 11:16 a.m.

Snrub's experience with his Camaro SS makes me nervous about them... https://classicmotorsports.com/forum/grm/2017-camaro-ss-lt1-misfires-dealer-cantwont-fix/145179/page1/

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/22/22 12:03 p.m.

My money says buy the Ford in your preferred flavor. That is based solely on looks and personal preference. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/22/22 12:11 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Why can't it be a Corvette?  Your budget won't get you a C8, but it'll still get you one hell of a used Corvette.  That would be my vote.  However, if forced to pick from the remaining three, I would go:

Mustang

Camaro

Challenger - a very distant third.  It's ancient, and it shows.  I had one for a week as a rental car, Hemi and all.  Made nice noises, but that's about the only compliment I could give it.

A C7 GS would be awesome. But I have a feeling if I do end up buying something later this year, the used market will still be highly inflated. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/22/22 1:14 p.m.
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:

Challenger is very cool but I see those more as comfy cruisers than anything. And the other two have far nicer interiors.

Everyone different tastes but I'm going to strongly disagree. The interior is miles ahead of the others in my opinion. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/22/22 2:43 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Even if it is. Who do you trust more as a PO? The C7 GS guy who probably never really pushed the car or the pony car owner?

I mean I'm just saying. The C7 GS is a heck of a package. It's got me tempted for sure. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/22/22 4:24 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Even if it is. Who do you trust more as a PO? The C7 GS guy who probably never really pushed the car or the pony car owner?

I mean I'm just saying. The C7 GS is a heck of a package. It's got me tempted for sure. 

The reason I originally excluded the C8, because I was speaking of buying new. Which is why I mentioned warranty's and such. My '13 Mustang GT went back to the dealer 3 times in 6k miles because they couldn't get the diff to stop leaking. The last time they finally replaced the entire axle, instead of trying to get the original to stop leaking. 

If we opened it up to used cars $45-50k adds a lot of other options. A flat six, manual Boxster/Cayman S shoots to the top of that list. But the newest one is still 6 years old and I don't think I want to mess with Porsche prices/maintenance, even though the car wouldn't see that much use. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/24/22 2:49 p.m.
GTwannaB said:

What about Cadillac options?

So I saw it mentioned in another thread. The 2016-2019 ATS-V, with a manual seems like a great option, although I'd have to settle for used obviously. 

But ticks all the boxes, how reliable are they? Will they handle an occasional HPDE without eating itself alive? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/24/22 2:53 p.m.

I dont understand.  Isn't an ATS-V not a "murica v8"?  Turbo V6 right?  

Opti
Opti Dork
3/24/22 3:13 p.m.

I went Camaro SS1LE and have only driven it on the street. Plan is occasional autox and HPDE, and I didnt want to have to modify it for track prep, so I went 1LE, it is still a good GT car, but if the main concern is a street car a normal 2SS is probably better and is better on consumables like tires and brakes and gas and is much faster at the track.

I like the dual mode exhaust and would recommend it on any of the SSs, 1LEs all have it, and you can spot it on a normal SS by quad tips. I like the mag shocks, but the arent exactly reliable or cheap, so its up to personal preference to hunt for that on an SS, the different modes do make a difference on the ride quality and performance. I like the recaros and my wife hates them so thats up to you. I really like the 1le shifter vs the normal one.

Starting in 18 (IIRC) the 1LE is available as a 10speed or 6 speed and available as a 2SS. The nice thing about the 2SS 1le is the heated and cooled recaros.

I believe the 10 speed mustang is the fastest (drag stuff), but not by a wide margin.

I much prefer the LT1 on the street over a coyote. Its not a top end screamer like the coyote but it is much more versatile and will pull from any RPM and still has plenty of up top pull. If someone thought an LT1 was soggy down low, its probably a function of GMs stock tuning. Ive driven stock vs just a tune and it completely transforms the car, which has pretty much been the case with GMs stock tunes since the mid 90s.

If you plan to modify and go auto, I know there are some issues with the newer GM trans and unlocking them, so an older 10speed 18 or 19 IIRC is better.

PS 6 speed cars have the AFM disabled.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/24/22 3:46 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

It is not, but I didn't realize the performance numbers were quite as insane as they are. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/22 4:05 p.m.
z31maniac said:
ProDarwin said:

It is not, but I didn't realize the performance numbers were quite as insane as they are. 

Yes.  I was speaking with an owner at the dragstrip, and he lamented that it was almost impossible to put rim screws in his wheels.  He was spinning the wheels in the tires 90 degrees or so with every pass.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
3/24/22 5:50 p.m.

If you're going to do track days and autocross, there's only one option that warranties such exploits, the Camaro 1LE.  And don't believe all the talk about the outward view in a Camaro.  If you set your seat right, it's not a problem at all.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/24/22 6:01 p.m.
racerfink said:

If you're going to do track days and autocross, there's only one option that warranties such exploits, the Camaro 1LE.  And don't believe all the talk about the outward view in a Camaro.  If you set your seat right, it's not a problem at all.

I test drove an '18 SS 1LE a few years ago, but at the time couldn't make myself pull the trigger. I didn't have a problem seeing out of it, and the ergonomics fit my short frame well. The C pillar is a bulky, but bury the loud pedal and in a few seconds anything that may have been in your blind is no longer in your blind spot. devil

The small trunk opening was my other only real complaint. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/24/22 6:07 p.m.
Don Fip said:

Another vote for the Challenger based on what you are describing, would be great comfort for regular driving and could handle a few track days here and there.  I had a base 2021 Scat Pack 6 speed, but wished I went with the wide body for adaptive dampers and much better looks.  Might be just above the 50k mark, so might need to play with the configurator a bit.  I sold mine after about 6 months and still miss the sound of a V8 so I'll probably be in the same boat looking at these cars again later this year if (when lol) I get tired of my Type R.

For fun I just went and played with the configurator. 

The Scat Pack Widebody starts at ~$51k, the few options I would want push it to around $56k. 

This is pretty much how I'd option one out, same color and all (maybe a louder color), but instead of the embroidery on the seats and badge on the fender package, I'd want the sunroof. 

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=632236153&listingTypes=NEW&driveGroup=RWD&makeCodeList=DODGE&modelCodeList=CHALLENGER&city=Oklahoma%20City&state=OK&zip=73132&location=&searchRadius=200&engineCodes=8CLDR&transmissionCodes=MAN&dma=&isNewSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fnew-cars%2Frear-wheel-drive%2Fdodge%2Fchallenger%2Foklahoma-city-ok-73132%3FsearchRadius%3D200%26engineCodes%3D8CLDR%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&clickType=spotlight

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/22 7:44 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Drooooooooool

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
3/24/22 7:59 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Drooooooooool

What he said

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/24/22 8:12 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Don Fip said:

Another vote for the Challenger based on what you are describing, would be great comfort for regular driving and could handle a few track days here and there.  I had a base 2021 Scat Pack 6 speed, but wished I went with the wide body for adaptive dampers and much better looks.  Might be just above the 50k mark, so might need to play with the configurator a bit.  I sold mine after about 6 months and still miss the sound of a V8 so I'll probably be in the same boat looking at these cars again later this year if (when lol) I get tired of my Type R.

For fun I just went and played with the configurator. 

The Scat Pack Widebody starts at ~$51k, the few options I would want push it to around $56k. 

This is pretty much how I'd option one out, same color and all (maybe a louder color), but instead of the embroidery on the seats and badge on the fender package, I'd want the sunroof. 

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=632236153&listingTypes=NEW&driveGroup=RWD&makeCodeList=DODGE&modelCodeList=CHALLENGER&city=Oklahoma%20City&state=OK&zip=73132&location=&searchRadius=200&engineCodes=8CLDR&transmissionCodes=MAN&dma=&isNewSearch=false&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fnew-cars%2Frear-wheel-drive%2Fdodge%2Fchallenger%2Foklahoma-city-ok-73132%3FsearchRadius%3D200%26engineCodes%3D8CLDR%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&clickType=spotlight

Hell yeah, we need more purple cars.

I have zero first hand experience with any of your choices but Dodge's color choices rule. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/22 8:55 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

That car is close enough I could go drive it this weekend.  And I WILL NOT do it for obvious reasons.  I'd buy that thing. 

Opti
Opti Dork
3/24/22 9:18 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

In your in my neck of the woods your welcome to come drive my 1le

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/22 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Where is your neck of the woods :p ????

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/24/22 10:35 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I'm just down the turnpike in OKC.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/24/22 10:40 p.m.
Opti said:

In reply to z31maniac :

In your in my neck of the woods your welcome to come drive my 1le

I test drove a new '18 1LE back in Dec of 2017 and it was a riot. I also drove an '18 STi the same day. The interior, short gearing, and laggy delivery was less than impressive.

I had a '13 Mustang GT track pack for awhile. I probably would bought an EVO X instead of special ordering the mustang, but there were no Mitsu dealers in Tulsa at the time.

Never driven a Challenger. I also noticed the stock tire size for the Scat Pack widebody, is not widely used. Tire Rack showed I think 6 options?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/25/22 9:12 a.m.

So I double-checked all the configurators this morning. All 3, Mustang GT(or Mach 1 Premium with no options)/SS 1LE/Challenger, they way I would want them put them in the $54-57k range. The way I would want the Mach 1 premium (add handling pack, Recaro's and B&O stereo) puts it around $65k.

So a $55k car, on a 6 year note. $5k down, $2300 in sales tax and reg fees (so $7500 up front), comes to a $750/month payment. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Exs29P3mLzsJwHkKT5RNP7n86zAwdnixG4hHUdCW8aqkRDrT4X6pzmKXD4JNBBDE