MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/21/20 8:03 p.m.

Hello,

I am MrChaos and I have a Car buying problem.

With me selling my Land Cruiser because of it annoying me and me not driving it enough, I needed a new Daily.  I have also come to the conclusion that I only can handle owning 2 vehicles at a time.  I want a daily and a rwd rallycross car. That means my daily needs to be fun and AWD, since we do get snow here.  That basically leaves only the WRX as the option.

I wanted a WR Blue one like any proper WRX/STI should be, but the dealership that had it said it wouldn't be ready till after Christmas.  So I went to the other Subaru dealership in town(yes we have 2)  and picked this up.

2020 WRX Base in Magnetite Gray.  I like the color, it is understated and blends in, so shenanigans can be had more easily.

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
12/21/20 8:34 p.m.

Sorry to hear that.  JK, I'm just not a fan. Reading what the Subaru turbo experts here & all over forums say. Do not drive it until it is re-tuned,  since from the factory they are tuned very lean even without doing any mods. Hope it lasts you a long time. 

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
12/21/20 9:20 p.m.

Sweet!  Good color choice too.  That doesn't have Eyesight, does it?  I thought "every subaru comes with Eyesight standard..." so maybe they found a way to hide the cameras?

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/20 10:22 p.m.

Please tell me the dealership that is having a WRB car in stock, kkthx.

MrChaos
12/22/20 6:35 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

Please tell me the dealership that is having a WRB car in stock, kkthx.

Prestige Subaru in Asheville has a Base WRX in WRB. I called about it yesterday and it was in the detail shop getting PDI'd and wouldnt be ready for a few days.

MrChaos
12/22/20 6:35 a.m.
mikeatrpi said:

Sweet!  Good color choice too.  That doesn't have Eyesight, does it?  I thought "every subaru comes with Eyesight standard..." so maybe they found a way to hide the cameras?

Eyesight doesn't come on manual subaru's

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/22/20 9:04 a.m.

Congrats! Turbo subarus are great fun, just don't get tempted to turn up the boost too far.

How many miles did your LC have? I remember it had 400k+ when you bought it. Was it difficult to sell with the super-high mileage? What did you get for it? Just curious.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/22/20 9:09 a.m.
2002maniac said:

Congrats! Turbo subarus are great fun, just don't get tempted to turn up the boost too far.

How many miles did your LC have? I remember it had 400k+ when you bought it. Was it difficult to sell with the super-high mileage? What did you get for it? Just curious.

Going to keep it stock at least drivetrain wise, might lift it later.

The Land Cruiser is still for sale, i have a thread in the for sale forum. Has 432 on it now.  The manager at the subaru dealer where i got my WRX might be interested in it, I will talk to him this afternoon when i go to get the car tinted.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
12/22/20 10:01 a.m.

Congrats - I traded my R/T Charger on a 2020 WRX last year.  At that time all of the colors were readily available and I initially wanted a blue one as well.  In the end I went with a white one as I liked the contrast with the wheels and trim.  I also opted for the premium as I wanted the 18 inch wheels,  heated seats and sunroof.  COVID has cut my travel dramatically so I've only put 14K miles on it so far.   Those miles have all been trouble free  (and fun).  Enjoy!

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
12/22/20 6:40 p.m.

In reply to mdshaw :

Sorry to hear that.  JK, I'm just not a fan. Reading what the Subaru turbo experts here & all over forums say. Do not drive it until it is re-tuned,  since from the factory they are tuned very lean even without doing any mods. Hope it lasts you a long time. 

Great advice, if he bought a 2014 WRX. It’s been 7 years since the 2.5 Turbo with the questionable factory tune has been in the WRX. Different engine (2.0,) different engine management (direct injection) but is is a flat 4, so it must have all of the same Subaru issues over the last 30 years. Guess you didn’t read the Subaru hate thread very carefully. Seriously, why would anyone jump in and post something like that when someone is showing off their new car?

Mr.Chaos, congrats on the car. Love the color. The WRX is one of the most fun do-it-all cars on sale today.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/22/20 7:09 p.m.

Cool, I really liked my 2018 WRX, but a combination of not wanting to make payments, and the annoyance of driving it in stop-and-go traffic led me to get rid of it.  I found a tune specifically to get rid of the rev hang, which would help a lot on the 1-2 shift, but was unwilling to modify a car under warranty.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/22/20 9:24 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Cool, I really liked my 2018 WRX, but a combination of not wanting to make payments, and the annoyance of driving it in stop-and-go traffic led me to get rid of it.  I found a tune specifically to get rid of the rev hang, which would help a lot on the 1-2 shift, but was unwilling to modify a car under warranty.

2020 has no rev hang also the clutch is so weird in first.. Trying to get off smooth without roasting the clutch is hard.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/22/20 9:36 p.m.

Congrats on the new ride! Nice color too! The newer 2.0L engines seem to be more reliable than the EJ-series engines, so hopefully it serves you well. They aren't for everyone (I didn't like the 2018 I sampled for various reasons) but they are better than the older ones reliability-wise. And nothing is more fun for snow hoonin' shenanigans than a WRX!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/23/20 7:02 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Good to hear they fixed that!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YnusKTsMd8C4HGMQnmA0n9mmdITzBmj2ALidwQCnBTXsT4lxR4tnbezjjUnqJ7TQ