1 2
16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
3/21/09 9:43 p.m.

So after finding a super sweet one owner '90 Subaru Loyale Wagon, my mom finally retired her old '87 Fox Wagon (she's got a thing for boxy wagons). She gave it to me! It's destined to run the BABE rally, and then will be going out in a blaze of glory, competing in a demolition derby, in the mini division, at our county 4H fair! It's been wrecked several times, it's beat up, leaky, ugly, and has nearly 300k miles, but it runs pretty damn good.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
3/21/09 10:11 p.m.

I have a soft spot for Foxes. I had an 87 GL sedan and just sold my 90 wagon. Take photos (and post them here) when it runs the BABE!

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/21/09 11:39 p.m.

cool, and welcome to the addiction.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
3/22/09 8:13 a.m.

Nice, i just picked up an 88 wagon for $300 myself. They're definitely not something you see every day.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
3/22/09 8:13 a.m.

Nice, i just picked up an 88 wagon for $300 myself. They're definitely not something you see every day.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
3/22/09 8:14 a.m.

Perfect BABE candidate, we look forward to seeing you out there :)

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
3/22/09 2:51 p.m.

can i have more BABE info. My brothers Integra is getting towed tommorow and scrap value on the sucker is gonna be like $250. I have never done BABE. It looks killer. The Integra is now a 3 cylinder...

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/22/09 3:29 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: can i have more BABE info. My brothers Integra is getting towed tommorow and scrap value on the sucker is gonna be like $250. I have never done BABE. It looks killer. The Integra is now a 3 cylinder...

all you need to know is here

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
3/22/09 6:10 p.m.

here is what you need to know about the babe rally ... If like a good time, love automotive tourture and hanging with gear heads ... you need to do it!

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
3/23/09 7:12 a.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote: here is what you need to know about the babe rally ... If like a good time, love automotive tourture and hanging with gear heads ... you need to do it!

The gearhead part is not a requirement. There are plenty of automotively inept people on the rally too.

The fun, torture and rest of it are all correct though.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
3/23/09 7:34 a.m.

I have just checked through the teams on the BABE website and I see that team #42 is The Pride of Cleveland. Having met the team captain, I truely expect that they will leave a lasting mark on this event. What has yet to be seen is weather that mark is fame or shame. Either way, it will be lasting.

Go the Pride!

If anyone from The POC is reading this and you need a 4th; I am open to the idea.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/09 7:49 a.m.

I hear they actually have girls going this year.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
3/23/09 12:34 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I hear they actually have girls going this year.

There have been girls every year, although I believe this is the first year for an all girl team.

But it does tend to lean more towards the "sausagefest" end of things.

TheWake
TheWake New Reader
3/23/09 1:31 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
There have been girls every year, although I believe this is the first year for an all girl team. But it does tend to lean more towards the "sausagefest" end of things.

I'm convinced that this phenomenon is mostly due to the underground nature of the event the past few years. The event is growing in recognition and awareness. Given a little more time I think the girls of the world will be better represented. It should only take a little more outreach on the part of the organizers.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/23/09 2:01 p.m.
TheWake wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
There have been girls every year, although I believe this is the first year for an all girl team. But it does tend to lean more towards the "sausagefest" end of things.
I'm convinced that this phenomenon is mostly due to the underground nature of the event the past few years. The event is growing in recognition and awareness. Given a little more time I think the girls of the world will be better represented. It should only take a little more outreach on the part of the organizers.

The percentage of the population intrested enough to do this is probably small enough that really the appeal leans towards "crazy" people, adequately represented by both sexes.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/23/09 2:02 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:

2 all girl teams I believe

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
3/23/09 7:47 p.m.
GregTivo wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Who's the 2nd outside team AWOL? I havent been paying attention.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
3/23/09 7:51 p.m.
TheWake wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

The "advertising" what there is of it has been somewhat geahead centric, and not to preclude the fairer sex from such things but the percentages favor males. Obviously as the event grows the demographics have been changing which is good. Its not only skewing more feminine but a bit older as of late. Now you and I dont have to feel like old farts ;)

It is, overall, quite an eclectic mix which is one of the things that makes it so interesting and keeps it fresh year after year I think. Everyone brings a new flavor to it and even the veteran teams try to mix it up. I dont think any of the vet teams have really taken the same approach twice, I know we havent. Every year has felt familiar but new.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/24/09 8:16 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
GregTivo wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
Who's the 2nd outside team AWOL? I havent been paying attention.

Team Epic Fail

TheWake
TheWake New Reader
3/24/09 9:15 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: The "advertising" what there is of it has been somewhat geahead centric, and not to preclude the fairer sex from such things but the percentages favor males. Obviously as the event grows the demographics have been changing which is good. Its not only skewing more feminine but a bit older as of late. Now you and I dont have to feel like old farts ;) It is, overall, quite an eclectic mix which is one of the things that makes it so interesting and keeps it fresh year after year I think. Everyone brings a new flavor to it and even the veteran teams try to mix it up. I dont think any of the vet teams have really taken the same approach twice, I know we havent. Every year has felt familiar but new.

It has been very different each year. Everything including team makeup has changed for me (us) each year. If Sean can go this year it will be a 2 vet/1 rookie year for me again. The Lincoln is going to be a completely different beast as well. So not like the Miata last year. I think it will be the space of the Saab with the handling and fuel efficency of the van.

TheWake
TheWake New Reader
3/24/09 9:17 a.m.
GregTivo wrote:
JThw8 wrote: Who's the 2nd outside team AWOL? I havent been paying attention.
Team Epic Fail

I think they also have a big green Lincoln.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
3/24/09 9:42 a.m.
TheWake wrote:
GregTivo wrote:
JThw8 wrote: Who's the 2nd outside team AWOL? I havent been paying attention.
Team Epic Fail
I think they also have a big green Lincoln.

Indeed they do, nowhere near as cool as yours though ;)

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/24/09 10:13 a.m.
TheWake wrote: It has been very different each year. Everything including team makeup has changed for me (us) each year. If Sean can go this year it will be a 2 vet/1 rookie year for me again. The Lincoln is going to be a completely different beast as well. So not like the Miata last year. I think it will be the space of the Saab with the handling and fuel efficency of the van.

I'm hoping this will be the largest team I've had so far and the most extensive pre-rally cosmetic work done on a vehicle to date. I'm sincerely hoping the aesthetics will overawe and impress the competition, or atleast hilarify (<--Oxford dictionary can suck it!!).

TheWake
TheWake New Reader
3/24/09 2:55 p.m.
GregTivo wrote: I'm hoping this will be the largest team I've had so far and the most extensive pre-rally cosmetic work done on a vehicle to date. I'm sincerely hoping the aesthetics will overawe and impress the competition, or atleast hilarify (<--Oxford dictionary can suck it!!).

Greg, then what will you and your two teammates do during the rally? You might actually have time to hang out. Wouldn't that be a great experience.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/24/09 3:17 p.m.
TheWake wrote:
GregTivo wrote: I'm hoping this will be the largest team I've had so far and the most extensive pre-rally cosmetic work done on a vehicle to date. I'm sincerely hoping the aesthetics will overawe and impress the competition, or atleast hilarify (<--Oxford dictionary can suck it!!).
Greg, then what will you and your two teammates do during the rally? You might actually have time to hang out. Wouldn't that be a great experience.

Hanging out and enjoynig refreshing drinks has always been my hilight during the rally...with lots and lots of American flags.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dGCPkXap7CgPANlgwzTQRwvlVSinzY2PZlx7SIz4FJFfVy7NPlPnD9Sw3QocCMXp