1 2 3
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/19/19 1:47 p.m.

My dad is not a car guy. But he is a romantic. So, about 20-25 years ago he bought a 1969 mercedes 230 sedan (manual 4 speed on the tree). It looks very much like this one, down to the interior and exterior color. 

He then spent about a year removing the entire interior and painstakingly cleaning it, and refurbishing a few things. I believe he spent a bunch on a new re-spray and catching the maintenance up to date on the suspension and drivetrain. He did drive it for a few years pretty regularly after that, but got tired of inoperable AC and having people ride in his car and accidentally break stuff like window winders and dashboard vents and such. 

Then it sat. When I got to high school age, I would get to drive it from time to time (but only in the close by church parking lot to learn how to use a clutch). I think the last time it was really driven was by me on a short trip or two in my freshman year of college. That was 13 years ago. During those 13 years my dad has moved it between storage locations a few times. And at some point something in the shifter mechanism broke, so now the car is no longer really operable. Apparently my dad has had 'a mechanic' look at it who has determined that the broken part is NLA, and therefore is not interested in fixing it. According to my dad if you put a battery in it does run. 

And now the crux. He's done storing it and has admitted to himself that he won't really get it going again. So he wants me to have it. Which is really cool, but there are a few issues. I already have too many cars, and too many with emotional attachments. I CANNOT accept orphan cars because someone ELSE has emotional attachments to them. The car is in Denver and I live in Chicago, so even getting the car to me would not be cheap and quick and easy. If I do take the car and fix it up and sell it, I don't want to get heartburn from my dad about why I'm selling his car. He says he wouldn't mind but let me point you back to the second sentence of this post: he is a romantic. 

Here's my plan:

1. Fly to Denver for a weekend to work with my dad and look at the car and truly diagnose the issue. Maybe also change the oil and other fluids since I'm sure they are all 15+ years old. Someone will probably need to buy 4 newish tires. 

2. Go home and source some parts. Mercedes made way too many of these things to make any part truly unobtanium (let me show you my hubris). 

3. Fly to Denver again with parts. Take a week off of work. Fix the car and take my dad and brother on a loopy road trip through the southwest US. Take lots of photos. 

4. Return to Denver, list car on an auction site no reserve, fly home happy. 

What could possibly go wrong?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/19/19 1:57 p.m.

You are mechanically capable (and internet savvy) to fix (or at least general contract) the repair project where it seems your father is not.  

I recommend that you fix the car so that he can continue his romantic attachment.  I also like the idea that maybe the car needs a new chapter to the romance.  Get it running and make a "guys roadtrip" with the car.  You may all remember it fondly. 

Dont take ownership.  Get it running and let him figure the future fate.  

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/19/19 1:59 p.m.

I'll trade you dads.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/19/19 2:04 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

I'll trade you dads.

haha. Be careful what you wish for...

But NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS. 

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
6/19/19 2:04 p.m.

What could go wrong? Ha. 

Dad will call in love with the car again, after you fix it. He'll change his mind about giving it to you, and drive it a half dozen times, this summer. 

Next summer, maybe he'll drive it a few times.

Then it will languish in storage, for another decade. 

Sadly, after he passes, Mom will ask you to "Do something" about Dad's old car. 

Fix it. Then take Mom for a drive, too. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/19 2:11 p.m.

My FIL might be interested 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/19/19 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'll remind you of the new signature line you have at the bottom of your postings.  Sure, you said, "my FIL" but....  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/19/19 2:25 p.m.

I guess it's good that its in Denver.  I have kindof wanted a 230 with a 4 speed.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
6/19/19 2:43 p.m.

Only a few parts on the shifter can break unless it's in the gearbox , 

Get on a Mercedes forum and find out which parts would go bad and bring them with you , 

Also on the Mercedes forum ask who is " the guy " in Denver that has a junkyard full of old MBs and will sell you what you need....

Make one trip ,fix it ,  throw Dad in the passenger seat and go on a road trip :)

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/19/19 3:08 p.m.

Maybe?!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/19 3:29 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Patrick :

I'll remind you of the new signature line you have at the bottom of your postings.  Sure, you said, "my FIL" but....  

No, i dislike these.  He’s looking for a 1969 something to drive to his reunion in the fall.  

79rex
79rex New Reader
6/19/19 4:25 p.m.

Your plan sounds like it could possibly end with Dad deciding the car is too cool and sentimental to get rid of.  It may solve your problem in an unexpected way.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
6/19/19 5:26 p.m.

Go for it.

It is time with your dad.  Doesn't even matter how the rest goes.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
6/19/19 5:46 p.m.

Definitely go for it, just like everyone else says.

And when you start a thread for the adventure, you have to call it "Things to Do in Denver with your Dad."

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/19 5:58 p.m.

I wish I had a dad and these associated problems.

Good luck to all 3 of you (dad, car, and you)

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/19/19 6:13 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/19 6:20 p.m.

You only get one Dad.  Fix it for him.  Spend time with Dad enjoying the car.  Let Dad continue to enjoy the car.  If it brakes it is an excuse to go see Dad and do car things.

As for the part being NLA that is probably not true.  From what I understand there is no such ting as a NLA MB part.  It just comes down to how much you are willing to pay. MB has a restoration shop/division.  They restore any and all MB's (for a price).  They have all the original plans, tooling etc.  

Oh and MB likes Dad's

dean1484
6/19/19 6:23 p.m.
dean1484
6/19/19 6:29 p.m.

Quick Search on MB Restoration Site found this.

Your search results.

Designation Part number TransmissionPrice incl. VATPromotionReproducedInfopick

GEARSHIFT LEVERA1232602239Manual€76.18
GEARSHIFT SHAFTA1152600538Manual€51.32
GEARSHIFT SHAFTA1152601238Manual€81.93
GEARSHIFT TUBEA1152607282Manual€283.22
SHIFT LEVER HANDLEA1262670410Manual€40.86
SHIFT LEVER KNOBA1152681042Manual€41.06
SHIFT LEVER KNOBA1152681242Manual€27.04
SHIFT RODA1152600631Manual€329.55
SHIFT RODA1158051074Manual

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
6/19/19 6:30 p.m.
dean1484 said:

As for the part being NLA that is probably not true.  From what I understand there is no such ting as a NLA MB part.  It just comes down to how much you are willing to pay. MB has a restoration shop/division.  They restore any and all MB's (for a price).  They have all the original plans, tooling etc.  

That isn't true. While Mercedes Classic is awesome, they can't supply everything. Just try calling them about air suspension parts for a W112 chassis. I personally bought the last panels in the world for a W111 3.5 Cabriolet and they only had 70% of what I needed. 

But the classic center should be the first call. Those dudes know their stuff.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/19 6:58 p.m.

Get the part number for the shifter and send it to Mercedes classic center in Irvine CA. 

Also, is it rust free? 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
6/19/19 7:05 p.m.
dean1484 said:

You only get one Dad.  Fix it for him.  Spend time with Dad enjoying the car.  Let Dad continue to enjoy the car.  If it brakes it is an excuse to go see Dad and do car things.

Oh and MB likes Dad's

That's a friend of mine and his dad.   His shop is a couple miles from me.  The son has a big surprise for Bart at the shop's next car show coming up, and it's going to be a huge.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/19/19 8:34 p.m.
Robbie said:

What could possibly go wrong?

There's the hubris.

Let me call my relative. He just goes by Murphy.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
6/19/19 11:49 p.m.

I feel like your idea is truly generous and probably a good idea in the long term considering it's almost guaranteed to make more stories than lasting pain. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/20/19 6:17 a.m.
Vigo said:

I feel like your idea is truly generous and probably a good idea in the long term considering it's almost guaranteed to make more stories than lasting pain. 

Pain fades.  Memories last a lifetime.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UXcwddEJt3oZBehkNo68FTjfHXuYWhoonRl1QQ2a0WejokFHfiUiDypaiawlYxlC