Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
1/22/21 6:34 p.m.

Sorry gents, no girls. But I did want to share my process and experience with this product. 

First off. I watched the videos. I kinda followed the instructions. And my results showed it. 
Before:

This NC is the Marble White flavor. Meaning not too many colors go with it as an accent. The wife helped me choose this:

Rose Gold. 

So I'm not one for patience. And Supwrap says to spray in warmer temps and 60% or less humidity. Eh... sure. Some days I need "IDGAF" tattooed somewhere. 

So about it I went. I did not pull the wheels, left them on, and taped off around everything. The base coat gray actually ended up looking so good that the wife and took a Step back and said "we should stop here". We didn't. 

Then winter decided to come over. 

probably should stop painting. Nope. I kept going. IDGAF. The first layer of Rose Gold was interesting. It very much looks to be an anodized finish, which, over the pastel Grey, was neat. 

Almost stopped here... looking shinier than the pics show here. Did I stop? No. 

I kept going, and here is where I think I got in over my head. Not sure if it was the temps, the application distance, or the vertical application on the wheel, but I started getting runs. Not a big deal for me. I dabbed them with my finger. They would some what level out, and the next coat would hide the run alright. 
final: 

I like it. It's shiny, it's removable, it is different than every wheel I see that is black or silver, it accents well. 
Some notes: I purchased a kit for 17" wheels. I have a can of base left over, and a can of rose gold left over. Now I can do touch ups down the road. There are way more than 10 coats on this thing. Probably double that. I gave it the 10mins in between coats, and this might also be why the paint ran a little, since the temps were below 40°, and humidity about 55% the first day, and solid snow the next day. 
anyway, judge away. I did this to do something different than plastidip. It is MUCH shinier than PD and looks more like paint. All in one step. 

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/22/21 8:51 p.m.

I like it.  It looks much different than the color of the blue dodge's wheel

i kept expecting some horror show.  Disappointed for me, happy for you 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
1/22/21 9:08 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (FS) :

I was genuinely happy with it not turning out like the advertised dodge. I feel that was too bright. There's one google image of someone that used it and that sold me. It's kind of a peachy bronze gold. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/25/21 1:08 p.m.

The bronze looks good. How much of a pain was the masking job? 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
1/26/21 9:42 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Actually not that bad. Note cards and blue painters tape. Came right off. Then I just draped old towels to keep areas near overspray guarded. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/21 10:03 p.m.

Good work, I too like the color.

Not sure id be able to get down low enough to shoot up at the surfaces that needed it!

A rotisserie seems like the perfect tool in this case...

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/26/21 10:51 p.m.

I thought you were gonna wrap the whole car in rose gold at first. Seemed like a lot, so I'm glad it's just the wheels, haha. It really does look good against the white. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/27/21 12:33 a.m.

Well, crap. I went to the website and now I'm trying to decide which colors to paint the wheels on each of my 5 cars.

Teal is a near-lock for the Focus. It already has a shift knob in that color.

amerson
amerson New Reader
1/27/21 2:31 a.m.

Really nice. The new color complements well with the body color.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/27/21 5:31 a.m.

If you didn't have your cans in a bucket of hot water in those sorts of conditions, it didn't help. Turned out pretty well.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
1/27/21 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Oh I always heat my cans up. Even in summer, unless it's 100°, then I'm spraying in the shade and the cans are still in the sun. 

but that is a really good tip for those that didn't know! 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
1/27/21 9:20 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

The santorini blue called to me as well. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
1/27/21 9:33 a.m.

Looks good, at least from an Internet distance. wink

I'm going to take a look at a mazda2 with steel wheels and hubcaps. I can't stand plastic hubcaps and was thinking of painting the wheels. This would be a good option. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/27/21 9:52 a.m.

Bonus points that it is at least somewhat easy to remove—easier, I'm sure, than replacing the wheels entirely with ones in the color you want.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
1/27/21 6:37 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Bonus points that it is at least somewhat easy to remove—easier, I'm sure, than replacing the wheels entirely with ones in the color you want.

This. The entire reason for doing this was that I wanted shiny looking wheels, at a fraction of the cost. Cost about 80 to 90 bucks to do this. And if I ever don't like it I can just peel it off, or use a pressure washer

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/28/21 11:36 a.m.

Does it peel as easily as promised? 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/18/21 9:23 a.m.

In for the same question.  PlastiDip in theory peels easy, if you peel it right away.  After years of baking in the sun and heat cycling, not so much.  

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/18/21 11:24 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Does it peel as easily as promised? 

It does. And did so easier than PD. I peeled the center caps. Used a razor to get an edge up and then just ripped it off. I do like this product and will be using again in the future. And when you peel the stuff off it actually feels like vinyl wrap, not like rubber plastidip. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q9WRvYTAGfFjHGxADwIhMaAv6WzJcx0nQrpfJRuG6nhDFh5GbqCYiwW6MWIehyS5