1 2
Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/16/16 6:40 a.m.

I almost didn't open it, because it was a plain red envelope that looked like junk mail disguised as a greeting card. But I opened it, to find a note from my local Fiat dealer...

"I wanted to drop you a quick note about purchasing your 2013 Fiat 500. I need it now and frankly, I think you'll be pleased with my aggressive offer."

Of course it's preprinted crap, but from what I've heard I thought they would be drowning in cheap 2012-2013 Fiat's. Hm. Sorry, unless we trade straight-up for a 4C, I'm not interested.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
8/16/16 7:32 a.m.

I get these from my Mazda dealer also. I think in the past I decided that accepting the offer also meant you agreed to buy a new car, probably at a specified price. But that was really examining the fine print.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
8/16/16 7:58 a.m.

Yep it sounds like they just want to get you in the door to try and sell you a new car.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/16/16 8:08 a.m.

Standard dealer marketing to make you believe that you are in a power position to lure you into the dealership

jstand
jstand HalfDork
8/16/16 8:16 a.m.

I get the mailings and the calls like that for the minivan and the Elantra.

The latest one has been more creative and/or targeted.

When picking up the Sedona from the last service appointment there was an extra page from the sales department. It listed out three newer vans and said that I could upgrade and keep my payments the same.

No thank you! The last payment was made last week and I don't want another for several more years.

I expect the same when I pick it up today, in fact they emailed me to tell me about it, like I'm supposed to feel special.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 8:16 a.m.

We got one too. They didn't need it bad enough to give us a new 124 for it.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
8/16/16 8:25 a.m.

I still get them for the Honda Fit I traded in to get the Abarth I no longer have...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 8:37 a.m.

My Dodge dealer tries that crap all the time. Doesn't make me think any more of them.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
8/16/16 8:45 a.m.

I get those all the time for cars I don't even own anymore. Basically, it tells me what dealers NOT to buy a car from. I don't want your mailbox solicitations. Straight to the recycle bin!

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
8/16/16 8:53 a.m.

They all do that. It's a computer-generated form letter to try to get you to trade up to a new one, somewhat disguised to look personalized. Even my wife's Kia dealer sends those out for her minivan.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/16/16 8:54 a.m.

VW dealer I got my Jetta from did the same thing. I politely told the used car manager it's a buyback. "Oh" was his response.....

Sad when you walk in to buy a vehicle you almost need a contract in hand to have the dealer sign to avoid additional bs.

Keith Tanner
8/16/16 8:56 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Sad when you walk in to buy a vehicle you almost need a contract in hand to have the dealer sign to avoid additional bs.

They would't do it if it didn't work, unfortunately.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/16/16 9:06 a.m.

I used to get those all the time for my ms3. However, it was the car before that they actually wanted. More than once i was given outright cash offers for my 2005 sp23 package. I should have never traded that car...so cool.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
8/16/16 9:48 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Sad when you walk in to buy a vehicle you almost need a contract in hand to have the dealer sign to avoid additional bs.

Exactly. I have been surprised by how many friends have "upgraded" when their dealer reached out and told them they wanted to buy their existing car. "I got this brand new one for the exact same payment as the old one, can you believe it?!" Well yes, I can, because you just added on another 12+ payments lol.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/16/16 10:05 a.m.

And that's all well and good if you aren't upside down....

This is the first vehicle this has ever happened on. Must be the extreme bare bones models I look at and buy that keeps them away...

evildky
evildky SuperDork
8/16/16 10:11 a.m.

I've received those for every car I ever bought at a dealer. I had a friend received one and really thought hsi kia was in high demand.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
8/16/16 10:14 a.m.

I got one recently for my Nissan Leaf, which made me laugh. I'm sure if I brought in the Leaf for a trade-in they'd run in the other direction.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/16/16 10:35 a.m.

Come to think of it, I did get at least one from the Toyota dealership I bought my old 2006 Scion xB from.

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
8/16/16 10:53 a.m.

The dealer I got my Civic from did it right. The month before my last payment was the first time they contacted me, and it was via text. Just a "hey, It's bob from dealer. We were wondering if you wanted to upgrade to a new...blah blah blah... let us know and we'll have donuts for you".

I didn't want to upgrade, but the communication was the perfect amount of sale and had great timing. Plus no irritating followups and no phone calls. Way more class than I expected from the place with a giant inflatable gorilla. Take note, other dealers.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
8/16/16 10:59 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:

Welp, you know what P.T. Barnum said...

Keith Tanner
8/16/16 11:09 a.m.
bigev007 wrote: The dealer I got my Civic from did it right. The month before my last payment was the first time they contacted me, and it was via text. Just a "hey, It's bob from dealer. We were wondering if you wanted to upgrade to a new...blah blah blah... let us know and we'll have donuts for you". I didn't want to upgrade, but the communication was the perfect amount of sale and had great timing. Plus no irritating followups and no phone calls. Way more class than I expected from the place with a giant inflatable gorilla. Take note, other dealers.

See, I'd take that as "oh look, they hired a 20 year old who thinks sending texts is selling". You text me for commercial purposes, you're going to get blocked and I'll remember that every time the name of your dealership comes up.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
8/16/16 11:29 a.m.

Get those all the time. Mainly for the Hyundai Tucson of my daughters, SWMBO is co-signed on. Sometimes get one for the Sonata SWMBO drives.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
8/16/16 11:30 a.m.

This type of marketing works, unfortunately really well too. For now.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
8/16/16 11:40 a.m.

Cadillac does this when you have your car in for service.

"Thanks for choosing Cadillac to service your CTS-V. We can help you get into a newer Cadillac with monthly payments lower than you are currently making with $0 down after trade-in!"

At my next service (recall work), this cutie pie saleswoman came by with the same offer. I wanted to waste their time, test drive a V2 CTS-V or ATS-V, and sit down with sales to ask them how they will get me a newer Caddy for less than $0/mn after trade-in.

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
8/16/16 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Jerry:

When they discontinue the xB, I can imagine that good clean low mileage xB's will be pretty sought after. Those cars have a consistent, well defined following.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZsSctxOsd7lBfjDyPpz335RUcaIy7y9sk5lcMfafHEPpXug1prTVroaDThMaWGlp