MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
9/15/09 11:16 p.m.

After seeing ISC racing's kit to use the chrysler app MSD coils for the 1.6, I decided that i'd finally have a use for that coil i had in a box of neon stuff leftover from my neon days. From what I understand, the miata coil is 26kv and the neon coil is something like 32-36kv, so there's an upgrade to be had here.

I'm afraid i didn't photograph every single step, so i'll do my best to explain.

Here's where i started, with a normal 1.6 valve cover:

First, I simply sat the coil on the valve cover and bravely closed the hood. Hood clearance was not a problem, and the final position of the coil is a bit closer to that hood brace.

I measured the bolt-holes and made a a mockup of a bracket for the coil out of cardboard:

Here's the drawing i made from that:

A friend of mine has a bunch of machine shop stuff in his garage, so he made this nifty aluminum mounting plate from the drawing out of scrap aluminum sheet:

He also trimmed down some tubing so that the plate would sit nicely above the valve cover:

We had to make the tubing standoffs a bit shorter before the final fitment with the ingition wires. Caldera hooked me up with his original equipment mopar wires for some extra WTF factor. :)

Once i spliced the wiring together, it started up and ran just fine! I just matched up the wires from the miata coil, 2-3 went to the right terminal on the neon plug, and 1-4 went to the left terminal on the neon plug, common ground goes to the center terminal on the neon plug.

I haven't driven the car tonight, as it has been raining; but i don't imagine the results will be too dramatic since my motor is essentially stock. However, it was a fun project to take on. Thanks for looking!

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
9/15/09 11:41 p.m.

The site seems to hate my photos, i think they're working now.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 New Reader
9/15/09 11:56 p.m.

Nice work!

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/16/09 12:17 a.m.

you'll probably notice a little better mileage rather than any noticeable increase in power.

Clay
Clay Reader
9/16/09 8:47 a.m.

Nice. I can't see the pics here at work, but I look forward to checking them out tonight. Alot of the Miataturbo.net guys upgrade to the Toyota Coil on Plugs. I'm headed that way myself. The power gains might be minimal NA, but if you do end up turboing it down the road, you'll be glad you upgraded.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
9/16/09 9:01 a.m.

Drove the car today, there is certainly an improvement at part throttle. My car probably runs a bit on the rich side due to the untuned RX-7 airflow meter, so this seems less prone to missfire under a rich mixture. I am sure the dead thermosensor for the ECU is causing it to run rich as well. While subjective, this is good stuff!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/09 9:28 a.m.

Nice work!

Just a question - why don't you tune the AFM and fix the thermosensor? Neither's that tough a job.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
9/16/09 10:53 a.m.
Keith wrote: Nice work! Just a question - why don't you tune the AFM and fix the thermosensor? Neither's that tough a job.

I tried some AFM "tuning" with the original AFM that the car came with, and it never ran right. The AFM from the RX7 runs it so well i'm afraid to mess anything up.

The thermosensor is a new code since i started driving it again this week. I checked and there's no resistance at the sensor, and i get 5v out of the wiring, so it's lifetime warranty time this afternoon.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/09 12:28 p.m.

I am curious who this would help with turbocharging. I've got my 92 running a BEGI kit to about 6 psi. This seems like it would be a cheap upgrade and not as complex as the Coil On Plug (COP) system.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
9/16/09 2:20 p.m.

I'd love to have a turbocharger to tell you. :)

nahookup
nahookup
12/3/09 2:05 p.m.

curious in revising/testing for a 1.8?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ISi3RSmNt6TVQhbFHF9CuI1xLFDmkG3gwSqliuKvi73ydbmpWjlpojmSZGvquv1P