1 2 3
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/14/08 10:06 a.m.

OK, since most new cars these days seem to have some sort of on-board computer that calculates and stores the car's average mileage, here's my idea: take that, and have a display on the back of the car, in the rear window or something, that show it to the whole world. Let everyone know that Tahoe Hybrid is only getting 18mpg.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/14/08 10:40 a.m.

hmm, stick one on a prius who's driver goes 80

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
7/14/08 10:55 a.m.

I'd take that Tahoe. It does better than my current trailer-hauler. And I could smash into all the smug idiots who judge me for driving a Tahoe.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/14/08 10:56 a.m.

Stick one on everybody, and watch people's driving (and buying) habits improve.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
7/14/08 10:58 a.m.

Naw, the same people who get $4000 rims to put on their $1500 Hyundai would then try and get the lowest # possible because that's obviously representative of higher hp.

Raze
Raze New Reader
7/14/08 11:02 a.m.

i've got a better idea, govern all vehicles to 65mph max, watch total fuel consumption in this country drop significantly... (I don't believe in this sort of thing but it would work quite easily and effectively)

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/14/08 11:11 a.m.

We could always lower the national speed limit to 55.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
7/14/08 11:11 a.m.
Raze wrote: i've got a better idea, govern all vehicles to 65mph max, watch total fuel consumption in this country drop significantly... (I don't believe in this sort of thing but it would work quite easily and effectively)

We would just find a way to disable it.

However, I do know that if I take it easy in the throttle the Civic get 5-6 mpg better that with my usual driving.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/14/08 11:18 a.m.

Replace stock throttle return springs with these:

That'll keep jack rabbit starts to a minumum!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/08 11:23 a.m.

Funny, heavy springs have always caused me to mash and pass as i tend to be softer on a soft spring.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/14/08 11:52 a.m.

18 mpg in a Tahoe hybrid? You'd have to really be driving like a douche to manage numbers that low!!

I bet the easiest way to decrease fuel consumption nationwide would be for everybody to check their tire pressures. Extremely easy to do, practically free, and yields noticeable improvement in fuel economy if you were low (not to mention improved handling and tire life).

Bryce

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/14/08 11:54 a.m.

Actually, no. Check the link above, or head over to the New Cars section. The Tahoe did NOT impress.

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
7/14/08 12:08 p.m.

How did the Tahoe do compared to other SUV's with similar tow ratings seating positions?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/14/08 12:25 p.m.

Check the review out: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2008-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid/

BBsGarage
BBsGarage Reader
7/14/08 12:38 p.m.

This idea was recently kicked around some of the MPG forums as a good idea to spread the gospel of hypermiling.

And to ward off some of the "issues" of driving at or below the posted speed limit.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/14/08 12:58 p.m.

I read the link on the Tahoe....doesn't really give me any more information other than you got horrible fuel economy. I don't understand how you guys managed to do significantly worse than EPA numbers. Most publications I've seen have actually been beating EPA estimates, since the new EPA estimates are very conservative. I won't forward people to those publications out of respect to you guys, but for those that actually want to know how the Tahoe is doing in "real world" driving, I suggest you do some digging and see what other publications are getting as well. How do you guys figure your MPG...from the dash display, top-off to top-off after burning through a full tank, the brightness of the moon on a Tuesday night? What kind of driving were you doing...4 mile jaunts back and forth with the whole crew heading to the sandwich shop for lunch with the AC cranked? I'd also be interested to hear what your real-world MPG was for the TDI Touareg, since you only quoted EPA estimates in that review. I wonder if a bunch of short jaunts and "test drives" are skewing your mileage from real world MPG. Well, I suppose "real world" means different things to different people, but you get my jist.

Even if you had an abnormal duty cycle that really did give you crappy fuel economy, that's still better than you'd expect from a non-hybrid vehicle that was capable of hauling 7 people and a loaded trailer, isn't it? You guys have any other vehicles in the fleet that can pull a loaded trailer to nationals and still beat 18 mpg when everybody piles in for lunch runs? I'm trying to think of what other tow-rigs you guys have had around the office, and I can't think of any that would haul as many people, as much stuff, and get better mileage. Of course, they also didn't cost nearly as much as the Tahoe Hybrid, but I don't think any of us are surprised that the hybrid costs a bit more considering the new technology, greenie factor, fuel economy vs. current gas prices, vehicle size, etc. The only vehicles that come close in fuel economy vs. capability that I can think of are diesel, and with diesel prices being so high right now, filling the tank with 87 octane would be a definite advantage.

I still think people need to check their tire pressures. Of course, new cars have TPMS, but that doesn't do much for the rest of the vehicles out there.

I've gone the extra mile and converted my Suburban to burn veggie oil. It's not quite as refined as the Tahoe Hybrid, but I feel it's the grassroots equivalent...50-100 miles per gallon of diesel and a heck of a lot cheaper than any hybrid!

Bryce

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/14/08 1:00 p.m.

Man...those smilies are really messed up, it looks like a bird dropped smily turds on my post...

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
7/14/08 1:18 p.m.

I see it's better than a conventional Tahoe, but how does the mileage compare to other vehicles that can tow 6,200 lbs, or carry seven other people? Even compared to an Xterra, 4Runner, Durango, Sequoia, Explorer or other vehicle of similar capabilities.

Most of the SUV's or trucks owned by my family members are used as such, and cannot be replaced by Fits or Prius's.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/14/08 1:47 p.m.

The big problem with SUVs are the morons who "need" the 7 passenger uber rig for subrurbia commuting and so forth.

If I wanted to ge an eco-hypocrit, I would drive a bio-deisel H1...That would be, interesting, to say the very least.

how well do the tire pressure valve stem caps work as a grassroots alternate to a full blow TPMS

walterj
walterj HalfDork
7/14/08 2:14 p.m.

BAH! Introduce legislation that penalizes vehicle weight. Tax by the pound. Oil isn't the problem... excess is. Everyone in america could drive cars with very high power to weight at full throttle all day long and still save gas if they weren't trying to accelerate 5000lbs. They could save all the pollution caused by excessive brake dust and tire rubber particles too... If automakers had customers demanding a 2000lb car they would deliver one.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/14/08 2:23 p.m.

That kind of mentality is why most people hate SUV drivers. "Smash into all the smug idiots"? Right.

Joey

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
7/14/08 2:24 p.m.
walterj wrote: BAH! Introduce legislation that penalizes vehicle weight. Tax by the pound.

I would agree with you but I'm probably going to end up buying a mini-van within the next couple years and I don't want to pay the tax on it. I think the one I want to buy weighs about 4300 pounds.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/14/08 2:35 p.m.

Remember the good old days when you had bigger tires in the back of the car than the front. Bring these back. With the larger tires in the rear, the back of the car is higher than the front and is therefore always rolling downhill, saving gas!

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/14/08 2:51 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: The big problem with SUVs are the morons who "need" the 7 passenger uber rig for subrurbia commuting and so forth.

Of course, the counter to that is the viewer who sees me by myself in the Range Rover and assumes that that short commute with me in it is all it ever does, and that's all I ever drive.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/14/08 2:59 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: how well do the tire pressure valve stem caps work as a grassroots alternate to a full blow TPMS

In my experience, those things cause more problems than they help. I've seen many cause a slow leak on the tire, so not only do the tires end up leaking sooner, but since they require you actually look at the valve stem (and most people don't) they don't help you notice the problem any better. I've found that keeping a pressure gauge in the center console/glovebox is the cheapest/easiest/best way to keep an eye on tire pressures (grassroots?). With that said, the tire pressure valve stems would be ok if you (or your wife, or whatever) made a point of checking the colors on the cap every time you stopped for fuel, as long as you do it regularly.

Bryce

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2RSCFQBlfsD2RR309n4Vwmaic5xUmgilSRT5trZE8F144Ncv7t87bw5lRKSrs2VI