1 2 3
Raze
Raze New Reader
7/15/08 7:12 p.m.

if you could somehow prevent the nitrogen in air from entering your car's combustion chamber you could achieve amazing results, that's thermo :)

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/15/08 7:25 p.m.
Raze wrote: if you could somehow prevent the nitrogen in air from entering your car's combustion chamber you could achieve amazing results, that's thermo :)

Screw that. Liquid Oxygen.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/15/08 8:29 p.m.
Raze wrote: if you could somehow prevent the nitrogen in air from entering your car's combustion chamber you could achieve amazing results, that's thermo :)

How so? You could burn more fuel to gain more power, but combustion efficiency wont increase very much if you saturate the chamber with oxygen. I'd imagine 5% gain tops.

Actually, you may even hurt efficiency. Fuel would burn better, but due to no nitrogen coming in, your throttle plate would need to be near-shut at cruise meaning mega pumping losses. Unless you decided to build a tiny tiny motor to utilize this magic pure-oxygen intake :)

Brust
Brust New Reader
7/17/08 12:24 a.m.

Yeah Bryce, I'll be there. Don't count on the ladies looking good until you have a few of those tasty brews under your belt. Then they're all the same. It takes a certain type to be attracted to a mid-height, gigantor-headed man with a mullet and Elvis shades. A little dirty perhaps, a little alternative, but whaddya gonna do?

These are the issues dude.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/17/08 3:34 a.m.

I get so pissed off when I see a few hundred SUVs stuck in the "regular" lanes in rush hour traffic while Hybrids with 5 people whiz by in the commuter lane. The disregard for energy is apalling. You have the rich soccer mom in lane 2 on her blackberry, versus the eco-conscious single driver buzzing home in 1/4 the time, but will rich-bitch give up her SUV? Hell no. She just talks on her blackberry complaining about how her cosmetician didn't inject collagen in the right places this time.

Meanwhile, I sit in my SVO diesel wondering why a GDMF Prius is allowed in the commuter lane even though its burning fossil fuels, while I sit in traffic burning twice-recycled biomass from the biosphere.

What a world

Raze
Raze New Reader
7/17/08 7:21 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
How so? You could burn more fuel to gain more power, but combustion efficiency wont increase very much if you saturate the chamber with oxygen. I'd imagine 5% gain tops. Actually, you may even hurt efficiency. Fuel would burn better, but due to no nitrogen coming in, your throttle plate would need to be near-shut at cruise meaning mega pumping losses. Unless you decided to build a tiny tiny motor to utilize this magic pure-oxygen intake :)

A simple energy balance equation with and without nitrogen, you'll see how much energy you loose to heating the nitrogen that could have gone into generating useful work, not to mention the inherent combustion efficiency gain of the flame front which would speed up the rate of combustion reducing the amount of time energy is lost to the cylinder walls & pistons (the nitrogen actually slows combustion since it absorbs heat that could have gone into flame propagation).

I should have clarified my statement with the added caveat that for current engine designs this wouldn't be particularly useful since they're designed around a given volume of air, not pure ox. You would indeed need to shift this application to smaller engines that could make better use of it, though on current engines it would give you ridiculous capability to make power, but the pumping losses and thermal losses to extra ox (since you'd have to put something in there to keep the CR fixed) would mitigate the gains at cruise. The best app would be a very small displacement engine that would be capable of churing out ridiculous numbers, like a 1.0L N/A engine with 300 HP and the same rpm band as your normal daily driver, this is all just theory out of a book and not very practical :)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/17/08 8:42 a.m.

Honestly, I think the best app would be an atkinson or miller cycle engine. Low pumping losses while the added o2 translates into tremendous power.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
7/17/08 9:20 a.m.

If you're going to inject pure O2 anyway, no need for an intake tract at all. Just direct inject the fuel and oxygen into the cylinder and have a huge exhaust system.

Might make for an interesting 1/4 mile (1000 ft, now) car, but doubt you would be able to store enough onboard to get even as much range as an electric.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/17/08 9:59 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: If you're going to inject pure O2 anyway, no need for an intake tract at all. Just direct inject the fuel and oxygen into the cylinder and have a huge exhaust system. Might make for an interesting 1/4 mile (1000 ft, now) car, but doubt you would be able to store enough onboard to get even as much range as an electric.

Good point. And no need for 4 strokes either

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mqGxoMtkDzfAxUxJDIVrfnBhqCtsjlBWZ4Xcm1opLUPNrvQceqfQPPYZ2dG1Zylr