1 2
RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
2/16/14 3:55 p.m.

This is going to be my continuation of this thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/i-keep-breaking-spot-weld-cutters/78630/page1/

I wanted to start a thread about the joys of cutting up old junk, and well...it turned into something else. i now want to start a thread about the joys of junking and my daily grind. If this is something wholly uninteresting, then I suppose the thread with starve and die and I'm sorry for wasting time! I'm a small time junker by profession, I take pride in what I do and I have a lot of fun.

Took a trip to the pull-a-part this weekend, rounding up parts for the girlfriend's 190e (That's me).

It was a beautiful day to be out, despite the mud and the thieves. I went home with a few less tools than I came with. Wish I could see out of both eyes.

Import block 3 disappeared.

Didn't come home with too much. Got a desperately needed brake booster for the 190e and snagged these OEM Bosch glass euro lights from a really nice Mercedes S class. I'm hoping to fetch $2-250 for them.

Got some more work done on the Flacon.

HF sawzall blades: FAIL. Went through 2 just today. The metal is so soft that it's like lead.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/16/14 4:13 p.m.

HF blade suck. I'd be tempted to use a grinder and cutting disc for that job.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
2/16/14 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

I had some good blades from Lowe's before and they cut through it like butter, even the frame rails. The HF blades have no spring to them, they just bent and break. Also, the coating on them is pure poison.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/14 4:25 p.m.

I go to lowes for blades. Worth the extra money

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
2/16/14 4:45 p.m.

DeWalt or Milwaukee

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
2/16/14 5:21 p.m.

Buy the demo blades, much stronger and worth the cost.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/14 7:10 p.m.

I wish we had a self serve yard here. This looks like something I could get into.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
2/16/14 7:43 p.m.

You could totally get into them. For a dollar.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/14 7:48 p.m.

My dream is to own a junkyard. There aren't many around here that you can get into. I wish we had Pick-a-Parts here.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
2/16/14 7:51 p.m.

I love do it yourself salvage yards. I go at least once a week and would go more if I had the time. It's like an Easter egg hunt every time I go and you never know what you are going to find. Sometimes I buy something and sometimes I don't but I always enjoy myself. To the OP, good score on the European MB headlights, it's been a while since I have seen some of those at the yard and they always go really fast when they do come in.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/16/14 7:54 p.m.

We have 3 good ones around here and I frequent them regularly, even just to walk around.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/16/14 8:06 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: We have 3 good ones around here and I frequent them regularly, even just to walk around.

agreed. The Grand Rapids area yards are good size and high turnover. Fun just to go hunting, even when you don't need anything.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
2/16/14 8:15 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed:

I'll have to get a picture of the car next time I go. It's the cleanest w116 I've seen, and it's in a junkyard. haha.

This is our only self service yard, I go weekly as well. Always a bunch of cool, rare, oddball stuff. They had an old Daihatsu Charade hatchback that I thought was the coolest little car. Got crushed without a single part missing. Even that grille-less Passat in the picture is pretty rare. It's only the second I've seen in the flesh. It's a wagon too, for bonus cool points.

I've got half a mind to grab the wheels off that Fiero and throw them on the Subaru.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
2/16/14 8:47 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: In reply to Feedyurhed: I'll have to get a picture of the car next time I go. It's the cleanest w116 I've seen, and it's in a junkyard. haha. This is our only self service yard, I go weekly as well. Always a bunch of cool, rare, oddball stuff. They had an old Daihatsu Charade hatchback that I thought was the coolest little car. Got crushed without a single part missing. Even that grille-less Passat in the picture is pretty rare. It's only the second I've seen in the flesh. It's a wagon too, for bonus cool points. I've got half a mind to grab the wheels off that Fiero and throw them on the Subaru.

Every so often a car comes in that is so nice you wonder how in the world it could end up in a salvage yard. A couple months ago a 90s Cadillac Sedan DeVille came in that way. Almost like brand new especially the interior. I literally couldn't find any evidence of rust or damage anywhere on the car. Flawless leather interior. Nothing obvious in the engine department either although that doesn't mean much. It's not really my kind of car but still............what's it doing there? Of course a couple of weeks later it was picked over and trashed.

Ya I would like to see a picture of the MB if you get a chance. I am always interested in older MBs. I enjoy the thread as I am total junk yard junkie.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/16/14 9:02 p.m.

Lenox blades make all the difference.

Nice score on the lights! I've been looking for nice driving lights for my daily. This gives me something to look for.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
2/16/14 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

What's your daily? That Merc had some nice Bosch fogs.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/17/14 5:29 a.m.

I've seen some interesting stuff up in southeastern Ma: Levi Edition CJ5, 1930's newspaper delivery truck filled with 100's of 1930's newspapers, (long ago, a car with what looked like a V4? Even as a kid I thought that thing must shake like crazy!), Jeepster Commando, SJ-410, military 2 1/2 tons, the mid 70's Dodge military truck M-550 something or other.

So many old cars, Land Rovers, pretty obscure stuff. Like a hands- on museum!

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
2/17/14 5:58 a.m.

Yep, SE Mass, land of the running $400 4.0 Rover V8. Almost bought a complete running 4.6 RR for $850 this past summer.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
2/17/14 4:02 p.m.

I saw a really nice Legacy (at least nicer than mine) today while throwing out Falcon bits at the scrap yard. It got crushed like 20 minutes after I left. I didn't have a chance to grab anything, since I didn't bring my tools. Tried to convince the owner to set it aside for a few days, but he said he lost too much money during the snow. He didn't lose so much as to not set aside a total rotbox POS late 70s Nova though...

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/17/14 4:07 p.m.

Buy Milwaukee "torch" blades for metal. They cut like a knife through butter.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/14 4:38 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: What's your daily? That Merc had some nice Bosch fogs.

MX6.

Looking for a nice quality replacement for the crap Wally World driving lights you see here:

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
2/17/14 4:39 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Buy Milwaukee "torch" blades for metal. They cut like a knife through butter.

haven't heard of those, may have to try some.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
2/17/14 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Would you like me to grab those Bosch fogs?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/14 6:10 p.m.

In reply to RoughandReady:

I don't know where you're at past the photos in the Falcon breakdown, or whether shipping from NC to OR would be prohibitive, but I could use the outer halves of the inner rear fenderwells...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/17/14 6:13 p.m.

Whats the dimensions of the Boschs?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1KiPYH8vL7H5wbDGAFdONytsQZZMcK2v7FUtRH3f71pAp7Y9Uhylem0BvRvlgSmc