1 ... 3 4 5
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/24/10 10:28 a.m.

did the sunroof adjustment fix the leak?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/10 10:51 a.m.
pigeon wrote: In reply to dean1484: What surprised me was that the cruise reengages when the clutch is released - that's different than any other manual trans car I've ever driven. Usually the cruise is just cut off and needs to be manually "resumed"; this does it automatically.

That is freakin' sweet right there.

xFactor
xFactor New Reader
10/24/10 11:12 a.m.

In reply to pigeon: I'm sure you figured this out by now, but in the pic in your first post, the relay and the plug thing, the plug is actually a fuse holder. Maybe aftermarket fog lights?

Nice build thread!

later, matt

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/24/10 1:20 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: did the sunroof adjustment fix the leak?

It moved the leak to the other side and lessened it some. I should play with the adjustment some more but other stuff has gotten priority. I finally got my BMW back so the 944 got kicked out of the garage and it rained last night so I'll have to check for water intrusion today

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/24/10 2:07 p.m.

well I guess thats progress...Im asking cuz theres been a few drips make it in under the seal on the SR of my 99 G20 - not sure if its gonna be an easy one or not. Is the SR on a 944 mechanized or "human powered"? Does it open fully (slide into the space between the headliner and roof) or is it a vent style where it only pivots open on one side?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/24/10 2:30 p.m.

Most sunroofs let in a fair bit of water just because its so hard to get a positive seal on a horizontal surface. Thats why they have drains-to let whatever does come in have a place to go other than your lap. Have (both of) you tested the drains to make sure they're not clogged or pinched? Even if only one of the four drains is clogged it can be enough to cause the tray to overflow and drip into the car.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/24/10 5:39 p.m.

The drains are all clear on my car, confirmed with a length of bicycle brake wire run down each of the 4 drains. It's a power sunroof, on a 944 the sunroof tilts up or pulls completely out, no sliding.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/24/10 6:13 p.m.
pigeon wrote: The drains are all clear on my car, confirmed with a length of bicycle brake wire run down each of the 4 drains. It's a power sunroof, on a 944 the sunroof tilts up or pulls completely out, no sliding.

Try a flow test? Tubes can still be clogged after reaming. Pour water into the tray and watch where it goes.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
10/25/10 3:04 p.m.
pigeon wrote: I thought about that but I haven't seen a decent one for <$100. I'd really like the experience of pulling the dash and doing it myself and I think it'll look better too. I've had just about everything out of the dash a couple times now so pulling the dash itself shouldn't be that big a deal. It will be another project that my son and maybe even my daughter can help with, which is another reason I bought this project.

I've had good luck using truck bedliner on my dash. It's tough, flexible and you can texture it to look near stock with different rollers and brushes. Google found these for me which were my inspiration:

Pics and outline

Full thread

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/29/10 7:55 p.m.

October 28 My replacement, round used wheels showed up earlier this week, and I had the tires swapped onto them today. Holy cow, I hadn't realized quite how badly the bent wheels were affecting everything. The car's been transformed from a rattletrap to a smooth, fast car. The steering still isn't quite as sharp as I'd like and I'll check out the tie rods at some point but the car is about a jillion tines better. I'm debating installing the chips that came with the car, you know, just because more power is better, right? Pretty soon the car will go to sleep for the winter, and I'll spend some time on the interior. I'm thinking giving it a mullet - business up front and party in the back. The rear seat side panel trim is shot on both sides and has resisted my attempts to glue it into place so I may start yanking everything but the carpets, door cards and dash. The rear seatbacks are already gone, and the seat bottom is definitely next. Oh, on the sunroof leak, it seems a little time for the new seal to settle in has stopped the leaks. Yay.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/29/10 7:57 p.m.

The bedliner dash still ends with spray dye, which has the current dash a splotchy mess. I'm not sure I want to go there. Alcantara or flocking just seems more the business too.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
3/20/11 4:08 p.m.

So, it's Spring and the car's been retrieved from winter storage. It lived in a friend's garage all winter so nothing got done except some mold grew on the rear seats, probably because of the sunroof leak I fixed just before the car was put away. Fresh battery and she started right up. Yesterday and today I worked on timing belt and balance shaft belt replacement (thanks for the tool loan Dean!). I only got as far at the balance shaft belt swap; judging by condition the PO wasn't lying about the very recent belt change. I didn't do the timing belt even though I was all the way there because I was faced with a spring tensioner that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get the new belt installed around and I wasn't confident that I'd be able to get the spring tensioner out of the way. The really confusing part is the spring tensioner - my '86 should have the manual tensioner. Anyway, it wasn't a total waste since the car runs a bit smoother now; I think the balance shafts were off by a tooth or two before.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/20/11 6:03 p.m.

If I couldn't get a British car with eight cylinders I'd go for a German one with four.

Seriously, this is an interesting thread. I've always liked 944's.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
3/27/11 1:52 p.m.

I did some more work this weekend, tried to install the Koni suspension I had purchased second-hand off Pelican. "Tried" because I found out the hard way that the pre-85.5 struts have a 1/4" difference in the spacing for the 2 bolts that mount them to the spindle. Nearly 2 hours of pushing, pulling, cursing, etc. until I finally looked closely at what I pulled off vs. what I had to put on. What really ticked me off is I tore the boot on the otherwise good ball joint in the non-rebuildable control arm. I'll get a replacement boot and install it before I drive the car too much, it just irritates me that I'm going to have to pull that apart again. I'll also have to play with the alignment since as it sits I'm sure there's waaay more negative camber on the side I was screwing around. At least the shocks went in without a hitch.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/11 11:32 p.m.

in another thread you said you will soon be posting a 951 in the classified section. if this is the car, i need an update!

pigeon
pigeon Dork
7/8/11 8:59 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: in another thread you said you will soon be posting a 951 in the classified section. if this is the car, i need an update!

Yes, this is the car. I burned an exhaust valve at Watkins Glen in late May and I've been slowly repairing it. Everything should be buttoned back up this weekend - there's only about an hour of work left but work and family have kept me fully occupied. The clutch hydraulics also failed at the track and I'll be pulling and rebuilding the slave, also hopefully this weekend. Then it'll be ready to move on to it's new owner.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
7/8/11 10:56 a.m.

In reply to pigeon:

Don't we get a lessons learned or advice for prospective owners speech?

pigeon
pigeon Dork
7/8/11 12:09 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to pigeon: Don't we get a lessons learned or advice for prospective owners speech?

Lessons learned:
Don't foget to bleed the damned clutch hydraulics before a track day . If the slave hadn't died I'd have driven it home on 3 cylinders without any problems.

A halfway-decently driven 951 can get a point-by from a Z06 at The Glen

Everyone should own one of these before they die - I'd add a 944 to the trimuverate of E30, P71 and Miata, having now owned all of them save the P71 and with the 951 it's like espresso vs. coffee - take the goodness of the 944 and concentrate it.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
7/8/11 12:16 p.m.

So why are you selling?

pigeon
pigeon Dork
7/8/11 12:24 p.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: So why are you selling?

I'm a BMW guy at heart, and SWMBO hates the 951. I have a feeling I'll regret it after it's gone but sometimes we do things for martial harmony.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
7/8/11 12:28 p.m.

They are addictive. I have a love hate relationship with mine right now, and in spite of that I'm actually trying to buy another one. The problem is the guy won't respond and it's driving me crazy!! It's only been two days...I should relax. I just needed to get that out.

Good luck with the sale, but I wonder if you'll change your mind once the repair is finished and you drive it again.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
7/9/11 2:48 p.m.

Sorry to hear about the pending sale. Of all the cars I've owned, the 951 is the biggest regret. Of course mine was shoved through a building and not sold, but also for marital harmony, I haven't gotten another one.

I've driven more modern Porsches, and while faster, the 951 has that something special.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
7/16/11 9:03 p.m.

UPDATE 7/16/11

Productive day - the car moved under its own power for the first time since Watkins Glen! I had replaced the burned exhaust valve a couple weeks ago and took my time putting everything back together so I would only have to do it once. Had to pull the intake 3 separate times - first on the way to pulling the head, second because I routed the wiring harness and a large vac hose on the wrong side of a bracket and third after a different large vac hose ripped in half because I had routed it wrong. I got everything buttoned up last night, and it fired up right away All in all I did one good used exhaust valve, new headgasket, cam tower gasket, intake gaskets, resealed the injectors since I had the rail off too. I then spent part of last night and into today pulling, rebuilding and reinstalling the slave cylinder. Bleeding that was fun but after my 13 year old daughter/helper finally caught on (after repeated instruction and direction from me) that the fluid level in the reservoir cannot fall below where the clutch line attaches it went OK - I would up putting about a quart of fluid through the slave before I was satisfied.

So, now that it runs and shifts, time for it to move on to the next owner.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EfPAAMY0mKrWQgod9ntZGCgOgCBvkVeGt4ETIsbyQCKnLOGvrxltZU6AIVX4d0yW