amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
4/12/11 8:03 p.m.

So....

I recently started blogging about my experiences as a rookie racer and how I got started racing Spec Miata.

I spent the majority of 2010 reviving a tired old Miata that my childhood friend had given me. I have a bunch of content on the build that I will be putting up over the next few days. Fun build that chronicles a pretty thorough SM prepared Miata.

I also recently attended SCCA Driver School and just finished my first race with SCCA and got my regional license. The blog will focus on these racing and school experiences for now since I am learning a lot with each race and day at the track.

Feel free to visit and post any questions or feedback or lessons you may wish to share. The link is here: http://blog.miataracer.com/

Cheers

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
4/12/11 9:58 p.m.

Cool. I like reading it from your perspective. So many "experts" out there- your humility and honesty is refreshing. I also like how you're not dispensing advice- just telling it like you saw it.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
4/13/11 12:27 a.m.

Thanks man. I have no advice to give. I'm just a regular guy following through on a long standing goal, dream etc and learning while I'm doing it.

I figure eventually it may be helpful to others wondering how to get started and what it feels like on a day by day basis as my adventure continues.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
6/1/11 11:27 p.m.

Everybody loves race video right?

I recently installed a Contour GPS camera in my Spec Miata. I got some pretty good footage of my Spec Miata race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Memorial Day Weekend. Figured I'd share here.

This is the first video I have ever take and I'm still figuring out how to edit this stuff. Race starts around the 10 minute mark so you may wanna start there.

Hope you enjoy it! I did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQMTWZy_rs

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
6/2/11 2:33 a.m.

Thank you sir, you just managed to kill about an hour of downtime for me at work.

Excellent write-ups!

cdyer77
cdyer77 New Reader
6/3/11 7:14 a.m.

Good write up - It gives a good insight into the 1st year of a rookie's race season.

Good luck with the rest of the season!

PS - Did you build the SM car yourself from a street car? If so, you should try to capture some of the build on your blog

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/3/11 8:00 a.m.

So... I was reading a bit... with regard to the diff oil. I run full synthetic Mobil 1 LS 75-90 in my E30 racecar because it is decent and I can get it at Walmart or Autozone.

I change it once a season (about 60 hrs). It comes out looking/smelling clean. My take is that the diff does not know its on a racetrack. If the oil is not breaking down due to heat then regular service intervals apply and at 60hrs I am wasting my money but I do all fluids before the 1st event as a ritual. It sees quite a bit more heat from torque and HP than a Miata and I have not had any failures using this logic in the last 10yrs.

chuckles
chuckles Reader
6/3/11 8:28 a.m.

Dang, I had some things I needed to get done this morning.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
6/3/11 9:32 a.m.

I like the blog - watching the video of Laguna Seca as I type.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
6/3/11 12:21 p.m.

Glad you guys enjoyed the video and the blog.

If you are curious about how the bump that got me sideways going onto the main straight happened, watch this vid from the fast guys who I think finished 1& 2: http://vimeo.com/24508731

Regarding the blog, my wife and friends were sick of me babbling on about the build and racing so I started blogging. Hopefully others who are wondering what it is like to get started racing can get a preview by reading my experiences.

There is actually a really cool (IMO) story on the build. The car belonged to my child hood friend - child hood as in we played with match box cars and legos together. The car had been off the road for 7 or so years rusting away in his parent's driveway in NY. His parents decided to move back to the old country and he needed to get rid of the car so he gave it to me in exchange for a donation to his favorite charity - ikat.org.

Since then I totally rebuilt everything on the car in my garage. I have a build write up in the works but have been so busy with life and work that I haven't had much time to tell the story.

Next race at Laguna is in a couple of weeks! Now that I know the line, I expect to be a couple of seconds faster.

plance1
plance1 Dork
6/3/11 1:07 p.m.

awesome, thanks for sharing, love the video!

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
6/3/11 2:28 p.m.

Haven't gotten to the video yet, but it was a good read on my lunch break. Added it to my list of blogs to keep an eye on.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
6/4/11 8:30 p.m.

Heh. My best friend started a year ago to get her racing license from NASA in her spec miata. Neat to contrast and compare. Her blog's at http://statelessimmigrant.blogspot.com/.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
6/16/11 12:49 a.m.

GRM stickers have arrived just in time for the Spec Miata Festival at Laguna seca.

Installed them this evening:

Hopefully ye olde hot link worked...

Can't wait to get back to Laguna, apply what I learned about the track at the last race and hopefully make some progress up through the pack.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
6/22/11 12:17 a.m.

More video from the San Francisco region SCCA Spec Miata Festival at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzoEEkKiesM

I was hoping that adding the GRM stickers would bring me closer to the front but they only resulted in a 3-4 second improvement in lap times from the prior race.

Very eventful race weekend. I'm working on editing my video from saturday's race. Will be updating the blog with lessons learned later in the week.

Enjoy!

lx5
lx5 None
6/30/11 5:50 p.m.

Thanks for the linky, dollraves!

Good job on the stripes, amg_rx7 -- I am about to stripe my Miata too. The current stripe is painted on, so I decided to just stick some vinyl right over it.

Glad to hear that GRM stickers worked for you. I guess I should be investing in some, myself!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
6/30/11 5:59 p.m.

GRM stickers make you faster!

I'm going to spend some time updating the blog this weekend from the Laguna races. My hard drive decided to die recently so my personal computing use at home has been compromised. A new computer will eat up racing budget so I'm going to figure something out soon. Thankfully, work is too busy to update the blog during working hours. :)

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
6/30/11 6:11 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: Everybody loves race video right? I recently installed a Contour GPS camera in my Spec Miata. I got some pretty good footage of my Spec Miata race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Memorial Day Weekend. Figured I'd share here. This is the first video I have ever take and I'm still figuring out how to edit this stuff. Race starts around the 10 minute mark so you may wanna start there. Hope you enjoy it! I did! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQMTWZy_rs

Just for reference Leaves pit lane at 7:40 for warm up lap Starts race at 10:45

Nice vid

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tC2o4j4CGKBnMCkw2OSCZDrpCMM4QeaJNWtyj1YqqLUExp8FfgqTj9mCHjlWwJpq