1 2 3
B430
B430 Reader
7/20/12 2:26 a.m.

What? 1962 falcon futura coupe. 170ci straight six, 3 speed column shift manual.

Why? Wanted something rwd, light, and unique. I also didn't want something I can't buy parts for. The falcon was the base for the mustang, so there a tons of aftermarket parts that fit. According to the Internet it should weight 2340 lbs as is.

The plan: stiffen the chassis, replace the drivetrain, thinking carbed 302, T5 and 8.8 rear end. Replace rubber in front suspension with heim joints. 3 link rear end. Lower and put some nice wheels on. Paint and enjoy.

It runs and drive currently, been using it to run errands. It's fun, no power steering or brakes, no side mirrors, no back up lights. Driving a car with no seat belts, a steel dash, and manual brakes really makes you follow at a reasonable distance from the car in front. Has enough power since I fixed the throttle linkage, was only getting about half throttle before. Handing is pretty good for a 50 year old car on skinny 13" tires. I thought it would be worse. 4 wheels drum brakes are not impressive.

Broke down on me today, my destination was downhill so I just rolled into the parking lot and parked. Opened the hood and found the problem in 10 seconds, wire from the ignition to the coil had snapped off, stripped it back with my teeth and twisted it back on. Good to go! Loving how simple this thing is.

Anyway, I just wanted to brag, I love this car. I know those who are old enough to remember when these were on the road probably don't get it. The falcon was the 1960s equivalent of a ford fiesta, but around here that's probably a compliment.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
7/20/12 2:47 a.m.

Neat, looks like there is enough paint left that it might even shine up. Check for rust? In Michigan these were known for the frame rails rotting around the leaf spring shackles, among other places. A friend got screwed hardcore on one that appeared fairly solid, but had very little metal left in frame under the trunk pan, and a couple rather important frame to frame seams completely gone.

B430
B430 Reader
7/20/12 3:00 a.m.

There is rust at the shackles, it's pretty clean overall. Will need to patch a couple spots. Will be getting completely stripped down and repaired and strengthened this winter. Getting rid of the leafs eventually so won't be anything attached there anyway.

I wet sanded the fender and got it red again, needs new paint to look good though, too many bad spots. Might buy a buffer and see what I can do, nothing really to lose if I screw up.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
7/20/12 4:35 a.m.

I find that the shiny spots distract people from the nasty ones.

Will
Will Dork
7/20/12 5:58 a.m.

Early Falcons are cool. Have fun with that one--I like the sound of your plan.

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
7/20/12 6:11 a.m.

Beautiful!

I wouldn't make it shine

Jeff

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/20/12 6:17 a.m.

Nice! I've had a few of these falcons and yeah, they are simple cars...

My last one:

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/20/12 6:23 a.m.

Where's the "subscribe" button?

I was just browsing google images for Falcon pictures last night. Time to repost my favorite commercial (nothing to do with cars, but it makes me LOL every time). I Could've Had A Falcon

In a sea of Mustangs, a Falcon will stand out. The repro parts aren't quite as plentiful, but at the Carlisle Ford show it didn't seem like there was too much you couldn't find, particularly for the early ones.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/12 7:24 a.m.

I"ve been looking at these more and more lately. I just picked up some wheels for the Mustang and the guy had a nice black '62 Falcon sitting in the garge -so we had to talk about it for a bit...

Looks like a fun project!

RossD
RossD UltraDork
7/20/12 7:32 a.m.

I have a zetec, a four speed, and some old 4 bolt Ford Capri wheels that I've wanted to throw at an old Falcon for awhile now. (302 and a T-5? I thought you said unique? )

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/20/12 7:37 a.m.

buy a $1500 fox 5.0/t5. use engine/trans/wiring for the swap. part the rest to recoup a few bucks. do the right thing, go with closed-loop EFI and keep the cats!

maybe i'm growing old, but i can't stand the stench of a carbureted car anymore. oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
7/20/12 7:38 a.m.

There is one for sale down the road from me. looks very clean in person.

This one actually: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/3147150997.html

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
7/20/12 7:47 a.m.

Hey! My Dad had a '63 wagon when we were kids. He bought it new and drove it until the mid-70's. It had the 170 "Special" and 3 on the tree. First car I ever drove with a manual trans. Had about 140k on it when he finally gave it up.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
7/20/12 7:55 a.m.

Coincidentally I just saw an early Falcon on my way to work this morning. They're neat little cars, nice and simple.

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
7/20/12 8:03 a.m.

'63 Falcon Sprint with a 260 V8, 4bbl and 4-speed. It would run 289 Mustangs dead even in the 1/4 mile.

I think your idea of transplanting a modern Mustang drivetrain is a perfect plan. It should be a real head-turner in addition to being a fun car.

In fact, as far as transplanting modern Mustang parts into the car... Are you familiar with the SN-65 Mustang project where somebody transplanted drivetrain and interior from a late model Mustang into a '65 coupe.

They said it was surprising easy to put the modern dash into the '65 Mustng. Since Falcons and early Mustangs were essentially the same car the same ease of swapping the dash probably applies as well.

Opens the door to your getting away from that teel dfash and having a dash that will accomodate air conditioning and have an instrument panel with more than a speedometer and fuel gauge. I never liked having to deal with the tack screwed to the top of the dash and the temp and oil pressure gauges hanging below the dash.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/20/12 8:18 a.m.

Cool car! Several years ago I saw a white 2 door which was lowered, dechromed, basketweave BBS knockoffs, had some sort of flat door handles grafted on. Looked clean, neat and very modern.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/12 8:19 a.m.

Although I like ford I have always been a mercury guy. I have been on the hunt for the mercury comet for a very long time. My dad had one. Purchased new and drive it until the late 70's. I grew up in the back on one of these. I am very partial to the small fins on the back and the taillights as compared to the falcon.

I agree go EFI if you can swing it and with modern high flow cats being as good as they are there is no reason not to run them if it is going to be a street car.

This was a car we found at a car show up in NH last year. I would mimic this build if I could find one.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/12 9:29 a.m.

Subscribed!

I love falcons. Grew up with and learned to drive on a couple of '64 wagons, and subsequently had a '64 Futura and a '64 Ranchero, neither of which came to anything like fruition back then...

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
7/20/12 9:31 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

I have one.

dean1484
7/20/12 9:39 a.m.

Ohhhhh Realy!!!!!!!!!! 2 door or 4 door?

mrhappy wrote: In reply to dean1484: I have one.
dean1484
7/20/12 9:43 a.m.

And look what I found semi locally. My wife may kill me.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3136655783.html

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/20/12 9:53 a.m.

I'm having a hard time justifying NOT buying this.

Grtechguy wrote: There is one for sale down the road from me. looks very clean in person. This one actually: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/3147150997.html
dean1484
7/20/12 9:55 a.m.

That car is all but done!!! And a steel at the $$$$. The paint job coiuld be worth that alown!!!!

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
7/20/12 9:56 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Ohhhhh Realy!!!!!!!!!! 2 door or 4 door?
mrhappy wrote: In reply to dean1484: I have one.

2door post. It needs floor pans and the rear wheel arches fixed.

dean1484
7/20/12 9:57 a.m.

Compared to this with an asking price of $4200 snap up that car!!!!!

Actually looking closer at these photos and I think it needs a rear bumper.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EEQTcim43p18xXMPw7YHNNNE5dM5mphyHokhNfTgL0khD9IrtHUb2qln3vjVsduY