4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
12/11/08 12:02 p.m.

I am getting a 1999 Infiniti G20. It has 100k on the odometer and a bone stock SR20DE under the hood. Im happy to get it despite its auto tranny since Im essentially getting it for free. Its a single owner car and I know the owner. They have performed all routine maintenances, as well as new starter and timing belt done by a dealer tech, so its still in really great shape. Anyone have experience with this car? What can I expect, and where is my biggest bang for the buck performance wise?

Its gonna be my daily car. Its NA and Im not looking at forced induction. My thoughts are that I should put my performance bucks into the head (I.E. cams, springs/retainers and a header) and ignition. And also mild suspension upgrades (Konis and urethane bits). Im trying to keep upgrades<$2k, and work that I can perform myself (having so-so mechanical skills)...and no Im not entering it into the 200x challenge (although it would be fun...). Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
12/11/08 12:19 p.m.

You may fine www.freshalloy.com to be helpful in the G20 forum. Also follow Sentra SE-R listings since thye share the same engine.

Fosters
Fosters Reader
12/11/08 12:37 p.m.

You might want to check the receipt on the timing belt replacement.....SR's have chains.

I would recommend searching G20.net and either SR20Forum.com or SR20-forum.com for performance items. G20.net is pretty helpful in general, but the SR forums will be more helpful on performance (searching on sr20forum.com is better - the forum split last year).

Stock ignition is best. Cams shouldn't be an issue, and cheap (Chinese) headers are decent. I don't believe an off-the-shelf Koni exists for the P11. I believe the 99 has a roller-rocker SR, but I'm not positive on that. If so, you will just be able to run roller rocker specific cams.

Josh -> 95 G20 and 92 NX2000 (track car) - 3 SR's total at my house.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
12/11/08 12:39 p.m.

G20.net Should have some good info as well.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/11/08 1:24 p.m.

I cannot say for sure if it's chronic, but I've had two SR20's in the family that both needed oil pumps. One they caught in time, one that kept on humming along with no pressure right up until it locked. They were both older than yours and may very well have been flukes. Love the cars, would get another.

Clay
Clay Reader
12/11/08 2:33 p.m.

I know you said you weren't interested in forced induction, but that's where I would put my money (along with suspension of course). It will already rev great and with the SR20DET's so common you can find used manifolds and turbos for a song. In fact, I'm looking at a manifold and turbo off an Avenir tomorrow for $65. Anyway, all that to say, it is way cheap to turbo the SR's so you might want to keep that option open..

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
12/11/08 2:57 p.m.

If I did turbo it, what else would I be looking for besides the turbo bits? Im guessing the stock ECU would get very upset with tall that lovely boost showing up out of the blue. If I did make it a SR20DE+T, what other things are needed to do it right?

And it looks like Koni indeed will not have anything for me. Anyone have a favorite stock replacement available for this car off the shelf? Im just starting my search for this ride. I havent had much time to get real deep into offerings for Nissan/Infiniti cars yet...my brain is still wired for TRD (Ive had a Corolla for 4 years now), so Nismo just sounds weird to me

Thanks for everyones help!

grinch77
grinch77 New Reader
12/11/08 4:17 p.m.

www.sr20forum.com used to be a good source now he best place for info is www.sr20-forum.com

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/11/08 5:04 p.m.

Bolt-ons and the JWT ecu (assuming they sill make it)will give it a decent amount of extra spunk.

I remember researching the crap out of 200SX SE-R's back in '98 before I bought my 99 Civic Si.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
12/11/08 5:50 p.m.

With reasonable care, these cars are nearly bulletproof. If there really is a receipt for a timing BELT service, DO NOT visit that garage again.

I had the earlier model G with a manual transmission....and I wish I still had it, not so sure about the automatic, tho.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/12/08 6:03 a.m.

G20=Nissan Primera. Yeah, they are cool.

Clay
Clay Reader
12/12/08 8:50 a.m.

Well, my info is a few years old, but definitely check out the forums mentioned above for more info. The basics for a SR20DE-T would be the manifold, turbo, J-pipe off turbo, some sort of exhaust (pretty easy to attach to a J-pipe, intake piping/intercooler, and engine management (probably need injectors as well). JWT has a plug and play option that I think works for the 99 G20's. Calum makes a new ECU that is supposed to work nicely, but not sure if the 99 G20 application is available.

Just for an idea of affordability, here's the setup I'm looking at today: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pts/953225833.html

Also, if I remember right, JGYcustoms sells kitted parts for this type of stuff: http://www.jgycustoms.com/serg20/turbokits.htm

driver109x
driver109x Reader
12/12/08 2:21 p.m.

cool! i just bought a '93 g20 5spd. a month ago from a buddy for a grand. this is my new dd since i got rid of my corolla and starlet and my e28 bmw is now the weekend/back up car. all it needed was an alternator and its been reliable so far but it has the occasional 5th gear pop out which is a common problem for the p10. i havent owned a nissan before and i havent driven a fwd in a long time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MiSrdrkOA7h2LxhgKlKCuwr1da8yPn57AzwrHnnLBZthLfqSa6MK1Mydsb5rWHzs