irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/29/17 10:26 p.m.

This Saturday. Clifton, VA. If you have nothing better to do.

Basically he has a couple barns, trucks, etc all full of stuff ranging from old tools, new-in-box tools, tool chests, power tools, welders, compressors, and all kinds of industrial stuff. None of this stuff is "high-end" or particularly new that I know of, but there's so much stuff I don't even know what's there. Raw materials (bricks, metal), some old machines of unknown use, cabinets and bins with boxes of nuts and bolts, or grinder discs, or whatever. All the stuff a GRM-type hoarder would have stashed away over 50+ years living in the same place. You know who I'm talking about!

9-5 Saturday there will be a picking day. You wade through the old barn (2 levels) packed with stuff, in the dark, and tall grass. Find what you want, and pay what you want to pay for it, basically (within reason). Bring a flashlight, some tough boots and pants and gloves....it's overgrown and dark and may be raining...

I'm not going to post the address up publicly, but if you're interested in going, send me an email (my username at yahoo.com. If you're on facebook I can shoot you an event invite. if not, I'll send you the address.

Cash only (check if I trust you...). I make no promises about what is there and whether you'll want it. It's a giant garage sale for GRM types.........

I would post pics, but of course they're on photobucket so most of you won't see them.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
8/30/17 7:07 p.m.

Such a cool offer, im nowhere near but I hope people take you up on it!

GeneMSP
GeneMSP New Reader
8/30/17 7:11 p.m.

In the same boat, not close enough to me, but I wish you luck!

You could always transfer photos to flickr/elsewhere. I'm sure people would like seeing them.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/30/17 7:36 p.m.

Why cant this be in November. Why.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
8/30/17 7:50 p.m.

Hey, I live in Clifton. Too bad we have an autocross on Saturday. Then again, I don't need more things to store right now. Good luck with selling stuff.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
8/30/17 8:01 p.m.

I'm two and a half hours away, but busy this weekend. :(

Will this happen again if there's leftovers?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/30/17 9:13 p.m.

Possibility that another one of these could happen again in a month or two. But since I'm the one doing most of the legwork here (my aunt and older relatives really can't do it), it's all about my availability....which is pretty nonexistant during the autumn season between racing and work.

The family's ultimate plan is to have a big "reclamation" company come in and spend weeks sorting stuff into "stuff they can auction off" and "stuff that goes in a dozen dumpsters." IDK when that is going to happen, hence the short-fuze for me setting this up this weekend (since my next 3+ weekends are already booked)/

It's a shame, this place has a ton of stuff that GRM types would probably love to dig into and find (hell, I found a box last weekend with 50+ new 4 1/2" grinder discs in it - which I took home). Amongst all the junk and rusty useless stuff is boxes full of supplies, materials, nuts and bolts still in Fastenal bags,and things like that, which have very little actual "market" value but of course are of huge value to guys like us.

Uncle was apparently also a big user of Harbor Freight coupons, since I spotted at least a dozen of the "free" HF medium-duty tarps, still in the packaging, sitting in a stack in the dark corner of the barn haha....

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/30/17 9:14 p.m.
GeneMSP wrote: In the same boat, not close enough to me, but I wish you luck! You could always transfer photos to flickr/elsewhere. I'm sure people would like seeing them.

There's an album on facebook. But the barns are dark and hard to take good pics in, really. I'm telling eveyrone to bring a good LED light bar or something lol...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/17 9:18 p.m.

I want to but know I'd come home with a roadmonster or Cadillac. And a trailer full of stuff that would now be my problem

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/30/17 10:35 p.m.

Haha, well it's cash-only and the nearest ATM is a hike. So bring $100 and call it a day ;)

Cblais19
Cblais19 New Reader
8/31/17 7:10 a.m.

Clifton is close, and I want to ask you E30 questions anyway . Guess I'll go dig out a good light source to bring! Dropping you an email.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/17 8:47 a.m.

Wish I was closer, my middle son is hooked on American Pickers and would have a blast. Good luck.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
8/31/17 11:15 a.m.

I live close by. I don't have much space for more stuff in the garage but it sounds like it'd be fun to poke around and meet some GRMers all the same.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7kidCLD5G3lkCpNxsgmUasLhLE2WD83Q20FQeLrHvvbbPTnvX7zjszZeBzqexluB