RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
12/22/09 6:11 p.m.

One of the things I'll need to address on my FC once I pull it out of storage is to replace the clutch, since it seems to be slipping a lot. I've never changed a clutch before. Here's a .pdf of the '88 RX-7 FSM clutch section:

http://foxed.ca/rx7manual/manuals/1988FSM/06_CLUTCH.pdf

After reading it over, I'm still left with some questions for the great GRM braintrust:

1) Will I need to drain the clutch cylinder fluid before starting? I know it's a good idea to bleed it anyways after a clutch change, but do I need to drain it completely or can I leave it and do a standard bleed after?

2) Do I have to remove the flywheel? The FC's flywheel is legendary for how much it needs to be torqued down (269-362ft-lb!). I don't have anything that can create or measure that amount of torque.

3) Will I need to support the engine or transmission with a jack once they've been separated?

4) Here is the Sachs OEM clutch kit I plan to buy. Besides what's in the kit, are there any other special tools/items I'll need to do the clutch change?

I figured I'd ask here since many of you here already know I'm a n00b at wrenching. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
12/22/09 6:42 p.m.

1 You should be able to unbolt the slave cyl. withouth draining the fluid. 2 No need to remove the flywheel unless it needs resurfacing. 3 Yes 4 replace the pilot bearing.
You will need a clutch alignment tool. disclaimer: I have never done a clutch job on an FC. Just going by general procedures.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LntDcfcePai2NwGtCO7SGhYMQFhpZfLi9IavrqphDMW9aSg7UQ240Fdj5M9h7fq4