Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
8/22/22 2:21 p.m.

Hello All,

I am replacing the pulley on a miata power steering pump with a v belt pulley for an upcoming project. Here are my attempts to remove the serpentine pulley:

Needless to say the bent up pulley remains on the shaft. Next step is to cut it off on the bridgeport. I figured I would check here quickly before cutting to see if there is a trick that I missed to removing this pulley, or the shaft from the unit.

Thanks

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/22 4:15 p.m.

Does it have the groove for a power steering pump pulley puller?

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
8/22/22 4:49 p.m.

Hey Pete,

I'm not sure. I got impatient and removed it with the lathe. I'm still interested for next time if someone can chime in with the proper method.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/22 5:50 p.m.

Car Quest states that it is a press on pulley.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/22/22 9:27 p.m.

Before you beat it all to death  the center hub had a groove to accept a special puller.  The center hole in the shaft is also threaded to use a special tool to reinstall the pulley.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/22/22 9:30 p.m.

Oemtools 27031 on Amazon.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/22 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Looking at it closely, I am not sure it did... it was probably serviced as an assembly.  Mazda was kind enough to put access holes in the pulley, after all.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/22/22 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I think I see the groove in the top photo, but I could be wrong.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
8/23/22 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Hello, are you are reffering to the groove I am used to seeing on domestic power steering pulleys like this?:

DOR300-122 - 6.0 Inch Single Groove Power Steering Pump Pulley (V-Belt)

If so there is no such groove on this pulley. Also the shaft is solid without a spot to thread in a pulley installer. I do belive the assembley is intended to be replaced with the shaft. I'll probably add the central bore and threads to this shaft to aid the install of the new pulley.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RkcMd461pyN4GgIi8ogDTub8zRw5BNUjWVh7mxxoQDn7W6IB1LgH4hFBL9RPx5uN