PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/23 9:28 a.m.

Friends of mine have a 97 Miata that needs new suspension. It will not be a track car. They have two others for that.  This will be a commuter and fun car.  They are looking at the various suspension kits out there and all seem to be track /performance oriented.  They would like one that will lower the car a bit but has more of a comfortable ride.  

TLDR: What is the best NA touring suspension option available that gives the car slightly lower ride height?  Thanks!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/1/23 9:30 a.m.

It might be a bit serious for the stated goal, but I was quite happy with mine with ground control coilovers on Koni yellows, 550F 375R springs with a racing beat front bar...   That said, that was my DD/Autocross and my tolerance level at the time may have been higher than many. 

What you probably need is to call flyin miata, or just page Keith to the curtesy phone... 

Budget is probably the most important question. After that adjustability.  Konis and lowering springs are the tried and true budget formula but but more money gets you more options. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/23 10:05 a.m.

FM/Koni kits fit this use case perfectly. They come with new bump stops or you can get the version with extended rear mounts for more travel. 

The spring rates are a little stiffer than some other "lowering springs" but that's because that'll keep you off the bumpstops more and you'll get better ride quality because of it. 

It's what I'd do and have done in the past.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
6/1/23 10:06 a.m.

I'd go buy this if I was building a street Miata: https://flyinmiata.com/products/na-stage-2-5-koni-suspension-kit 

If they were in stock I'd consider spending a little more and getting this: https://flyinmiata.com/products/flyin-miata-stage-2-fox-suspension-for-na

The FM stuff just works. Buy it once and do it right. 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
6/1/23 10:13 a.m.

Or just do konis and stock springs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
thoJIQA0orkpEfhqdqal5xwBzpubWVaGAOAiAsrzU0UwJcLyufRV2GYuGks541Ne