eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/21/21 3:22 p.m.

The driver side wiper for my 96 Miata keeps popping out of the joint on the wiper linkage.  It just looks like the ball socket on the linkage is worn out.  I have been searching to see if I can just replace the socket joint, like on many other cars, but haven't been able to find anything.   Anyone know if that part can be bought individually, and from where?  Or do I need to either take a chance on a used linkage, or spend ~$150 for a new one?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/21 3:35 p.m.

Ooh, if you have the option of buying a new transmission, take it while they're available. 

Speaking as someone with several cars for which wiper linkage stuff is not available.

On the white Quantum, one of the pivot ball bushings disintegrated, and I ended up using a grinder to un-rivet the ball from the wiper motor arm, leaving a hole.  Then, I cut the linkage short, welded in a piece of all-thread, and used a universal stud pivot thing from Ace Hardware's bolts bin.

Probably going to have to do that to the rx-7s' headlight motors, they use linkage similar to wiper linkage and those bits have been NLA for a long time.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/21 3:39 p.m.

Looks like it's still listed as available on Mazda Motorsports. 

I just checked the one on my parts car and it seems tight, you can have that if you want. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/21/21 8:39 p.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks, I'll probably pass though.  The newest original ones are 24 years old now, and I'm concerned with how brittle the plastic is getting, and how long it'll last after being popped off one and on to another.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/23/21 5:35 p.m.

Just to update this post, I found the part number for just the piece of the linkage that failed, and was able to order it separately.  The rest of the linkage seems to be in decent shape.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nKE5TZYsdVXCS9A7JxepO8H98ApXZFv8pmchcsMfWDQRiIZRLDkMliID2eR0FXZ8