11/22/21 11:39 p.m.
malibuguy said:

Holy grail for me

9C1?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/23/21 7:23 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I'm at the age where overpayment for anything is extremely foolish.   However, I'd be tempted for a Morris Minor Traveler.  ( Woodie Wagon)

considering they originally sold for around $2000 new  and I've paid as little as $50  for one.  I might go all the way to $1000.  They were the SUV of the 50's and 60's  light nimble comfortable ride. Great gas mileage ( 25-30 ) for the time.  actually would fit 4 adults but the rear seat passengers had to be nimble.  With a  good tune up it would achieve 70 mph.  
      The feature I found most endearing  were the trafficators  that popped out of the pillar behind the door and indicated the direction of your turn. 
 The tiny 948 cc engine reved willingly and felt sporty eventually  it would do 0-60 mph  if you were patient  and the road was flat. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/23/21 7:26 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

You'd probably love an Iraqi taxi, and I still see them around

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/23/21 7:28 a.m.
Appleseed said:
malibuguy said:

Holy grail for me

9C1?

Hint:  look at his screen name

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/21 7:44 a.m.
buzzboy said:

If somebody legally has a diesel Toyota J73 in the US then I'll overpay for it.

Saw one of these for sale at the side of the road near Stouffville, Ontario a few years ago and just had to stop and look. Owner came out and said he was selling it for I think $12kCAD at the time? I thought that's a pretty steep price...it was a simpler time.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/23/21 7:49 a.m.

One of my car buddies and his early 20's son stopped by my place a few months back to pick up some bike parts and they arrived in exactly that.  They had just resto'd it and it was like brand new. The kid was going to go on a east cost to west coast trip in it the following week.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/21 7:50 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I don't see it that way.  You only have a finite amount of time on the merry go round of life.  As I get older I realize that there are things I want to have (like the car I originally posted). That I would be inclined to pay more for than what would be considered market value. It is because if I wait and the merry go round stops before I get one then I never got a chance to enjoy one.  

This happened to my dad. He wanted a 1965 mustang but I showed up and he was the responsible person and purchased the Mercury Comet instead. I heard many times how he wanted that car as I grew up. About five years ago I purchased one and started to process of having it restored to driver condition. Dad died with out ever getting to take the keys from me and I never got the chance to give him his dream car. I should have over paid for one.  I sold the one I had as I could not look at it once Dad was gone and I had no motivation to finish it.  

Time is not an infinite thing. Time also has value and I am learning as I get older it is becoming more valuable to me to experience things in the time I have left so the value I place on some things may be more than others do.  I am not a fool with my money we are not paying 10x the market price but sometimes paying the full price plus that bit more is worth it.    

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/23/21 7:50 a.m.
Driven5 said:

If I had the time, money, and space: My neighbors slowly decaying TR250. It breaks my heart a little every day when I see it.

Bug him every damn day till he crumbles.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/23/21 8:14 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Yes and also from a financial standpoint, the earlier in life you overpay for something (miss out on investments), the bigger the penalty.  Later in life is when most people are willing to overpay for something for exactly the reasons you list.

I know in my late 30s I am much more likely to overpay for something now than ever before.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
11/23/21 8:28 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
Driven5 said:

If I had the time, money, and space: My neighbors slowly decaying TR250. It breaks my heart a little every day when I see it.

This was exactly how I was able to buy the e36. Just asking him every day he came to the store were his fancy BMW was. Took a few years but he finally mentioned a price and now its mine...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/23/21 8:39 a.m.

Oh yeah, that reminds me.  I would pay for a well-swapped 2.5 MZR RX8.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/23/21 8:52 a.m.

I've read that they only made 100 of these, but I thought that it was as many as 1500.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/21 8:53 a.m.

I tried really hard to answer this question.  There are so many cars I didn't buy that I regret given current prices.  Given cures to prices, everything is already way overpriced.  Realizing that, I'm just not willing to pay even more for anything.  Wrecked and non-running cars now command higher prices than solid running project cars did two years ago.  

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
11/23/21 8:59 a.m.

spitfirebill said:

Even if I only had the (covered) space, I would probably try to do just that to at least slow the process. Unfortunately, the reality is that it would be even worse watching it in my own driveway.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
11/23/21 9:15 a.m.

I will end up paying way too much for a Fiat 124 Berlina

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/21 9:55 a.m.

Dreamland-Porsche 959

Closer to reality- G50 911

EDIT- Honestly I'd probably put the G50 money on a 718 GT4 RS. Current unobtainable dream car.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/21 10:40 a.m.

My mom's old Fairmont wagon.

My parents didn't think it was worth saving so they had it towed off by a wrecking yard. I have a lot of great memories about that car and would love it back.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/23/21 10:48 a.m.

And now we get how BaT works. laugh

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/23/21 11:24 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I completely agree with your statement, as far as it goes.  Time is limited. But then so is money.  Most of us have to have priorities. A bucket list. 
       I'm trading more cars, for more experiences. I want to go thundering down into a sharp turn from high speed.  ( heck, just racing)  so the budget that would be used to have another car is traded for that experience.   
    Then if time allows, I'd like to race at tracks I missed during my racing career.  Maybe repeat at a few tracks I didn't have good event when I was there.  
 Mid Ohio for example. There I was always geared wrong. I never fully strung it out where the car was singing, talking to me, telling me that it was happy.  The final drive ratio was right but I could have used a shorter 2nd gear and a longer 3rd gear.  
    With my quick change transmission I can pull the gearbox apart and in a few minutes swap gears around. Or use alternate gears. 
    That gets more and more important  with tighter tracks. 
Yet I have to be prepared to also say, enough.  Some guys can race well into their 80's. That might not be me.  While I don't have to win, I do need to feel I've driven well. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/23/21 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Not a 9C1 but my parents had this so I got to drive it high school. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/21 11:57 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Nonsense to the statement, you're at the age when...

You can't take it with you. If there is something out there that you would enjoy significantly and you come across the best available example of it, and you have the means, go for it. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/21 11:59 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Is there a prevalent ice racing series in your neck of the world? 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/23/21 12:45 p.m.

I have the caveat of define overpaid:

As you know I have a thing for 60s & 70s air cooled Porsches but I've deemed most models overpriced. 356s cost the same as a nice new Cayman, so by my definition buying a 356 in and of itself means I've overpaid even if it's below market value. This is how my brain works, don't try to inject logic.

So I might pay above market value but it would still have to be cheap, as in less that 20K. So my list is as follows.

Cressida with a 5 speed. They were new when I worked at the dealership and I loved them.

Vintage formula car - especially air cooled Super Vees.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
11/23/21 12:54 p.m.

Not a f***ing thing.  Hence I'm driving a 6k beater boxster with 20x the cash sitting waiting for car prices to unf*** themselves.  I'll watch the miserable underwater a**holes flounder and get repo'd before I pay too much for a toy.

If you can't tell I'm a touch salty at the prices people will pay right now because they can finance for cheap.  Totally ruined a hobby so a bunch of clowns can let cars sit in the garage with deferred maintenance they can't afford or destroy them with E36 M3ty cheap mods that they also can't affod.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/23/21 1:02 p.m.

Overpaying requires that there be a large pool of similar items available that you could have bought for less, and yet decided to pay more for the one you chose.

Semantics aside, a nice 1970 Datsun 240Z is a car that I would buy at today's prices. If given powerball-winner level of budgets, a McLaren F1 would be the one for me.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P7SI5vvI622OVvN7q6lNCMACJWzeQJOm2h9G8Quv88TDdVEgHtEYoUl2lVr91loT