1 2 3 ... 7
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/22/21 10:58 a.m.
feature_image

Sometimes an unreliable/poorly built/all-around-bad car can be easier to live with if the price is low enough–or can be had for free.

But is there a car that’s so terrible that you wouldn’t take, even if someone paid you to take it?

Read the rest of the story

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/22/21 11:02 a.m.
RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
11/22/21 11:05 a.m.

I would let someone pay me to take a Medallion provided it's a manual transmission. From what I recall it's one of the NG series gearboxes, so somewhat desirable in the Lotus Europa crowds.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/22/21 11:06 a.m.

As much as I want one I just don't have the patience anymore to deal with a Mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 or dodge stealth RT. Just looking under the hood makes my eyes twitch.

Not because the car is terrible.  Just the thought of having to work on one. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/22/21 11:20 a.m.

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iqeAbrMeI4YQ/v0/-1x-1.jpg

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/22/21 11:21 a.m.

Ive been trying to think of one.

Problem is that ive been here long enough to be able to think of ways to make ANYTHING cool. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/22/21 11:24 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Problem is that ive been here long enough to be able to think of ways to make ANYTHING cool. 

OK.  Make the Murano convertible cool.   I dare you....

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS New Reader
11/22/21 11:30 a.m.

most 1/2 finished project cars.  In  my experience; most project cars cost more to finish than they are worth finished.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 11:32 a.m.

I was gonna say Biturbo but that's a lie. I'd totally take a Biturbo.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/22/21 11:32 a.m.

There are several but top of the list is any early 2000s GM sedans; between the fact that I don't like them and their infamous body control module issues you couldn't pay me enough. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 11:39 a.m.

They are paying?

Line them up, I'll take them all. 

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
11/22/21 11:41 a.m.

Any Mustang II.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
11/22/21 11:41 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iqeAbrMeI4YQ/v0/-1x-1.jpg

How dare you shame the NMCC. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/22/21 11:44 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

OK.  Make the Murano convertible cool.   I dare you....

Cj7 frame, 39 inch boggers, winch bumper, and some v8 with a roots blower and bug catcher coming through the hood.

And paint it in van Halen's truck paint job.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
11/22/21 11:44 a.m.

As someone who is constantly traveling and always in rental cars this is my consensus:

- Any GM FWD made in the last 20+ years with the Cobalt SS/TC and HHR SS being the exceptions. 

- I will flatout refuse any FCA product I get as a rental now. They are boring, cheap, and there is always something wrong with them. Even if gifted one, I would refuse.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/22/21 11:51 a.m.

I suppose if you were paying me I'd be stupid not to, but I wouldn't own any Mercedes product for longer than it took to offload it to someone else.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/22/21 11:52 a.m.

I  ask myself   "is this worth the parking spot ?

most of the time the answer is NO ,  even if someday I can make a few hundred bucks on it !

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/22/21 12:10 p.m.
Duke said:

I suppose if you were paying me I'd be stupid not to, but I wouldn't own any Mercedes product for longer than it took to offload it to someone else.

I volunteer as the offloadee.

QuikMcshifterson
QuikMcshifterson New Reader
11/22/21 12:21 p.m.

2008-2014 Dodge Avenger.... I can't think of a good use for it. Not even for demolition derby. It's literally worth more as scrap.

Maybe as a gift to someone you don't actually like.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 12:24 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Cool is one thing, but anything over 180" long is a hard sell.

Anything I can roll my body under without jackstands is a no-go.

Mercedes or BMW from the last 20 years or so?  Hard nope.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
11/22/21 12:26 p.m.

Chevy Corsica.  As a good racing buddy once said, 'It's so bad, It can't even be Lemons'ed'...  My mom had one, and god what an epic pile that thing was. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/22/21 12:27 p.m.

Honda Beat.

I'm sure a lot of you are thinking, "Why would anybody turn that down?" It's something that looks like it would be a lot of fun, except there's no way I could squeeze into the driver's seat! So it would just sit in my driveway taunting me.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 12:35 p.m.
QuikMcshifterson said:

2008-2014 Dodge Avenger.... I can't think of a good use for it. Not even for demolition derby. It's literally worth more as scrap.

Maybe as a gift to someone you don't actually like.

Its a Mitsubishi Galant underneath, but without the better styling of the previous Gen, I agree there isn't much you could do to that to make it worth the effort over a proper Galant, etc.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/22/21 12:44 p.m.

02 explorer. It's rated as the worst car ever sold for a reason. My wife had one when we got together and can confirm.....mega crap. If someone offers you a free one consider them a mortal enemy.

Probably the LHS/Intrepid/ whatever else it was sold as. Everyone I've known that's owned one has hated them with the fury of a thousand sun's, and blew a head gasket too funnily enough

Powar
Powar UltraDork
11/22/21 12:48 p.m.

There isn't one. I could have fun in absolutely anything, even if its just because of how little I care if it gets destroyed.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OUGXsJuRJm9gfVp2iX1hIc2LqqvDB4lL6RFh1oR5pi5ESg3WnrQXhtnHVOXHrCnd