ccrunner
ccrunner New Reader
12/2/20 12:14 a.m.

My build is progressing, and I'm thinking my tires may visually be too big for the car... As I've built the car now (in the pic), I have some fairly big tires/wheels on it (13x6 wheels and 155-70-13 summer tires), and I'm beginning to think that I'd like to scale the tires and wheels back (stock tires were 5.20-12!)- in the big picture, I can run skinny little 'everyday' tires/wheels, and then switch out to the wider race tires/wheels on track day if I must (much like in the pic)... even better if I can find performance tires in a narrower size, and just run one set.. 

Here's the rub.. I want to occasionally track the car, but I'd like my tires to be close in size to the OEM skinny tires (5" wide tires).  I'm thinking of downsizing my current setup to 4" wide x 13" diameter wheels.. 

So here's the super naive question: are 'performance' tires available at just 5-ish inches wide for 13" wheels?  The car is tiny and light and heavily modded.. should be about 900 lbs and have about 105hp.. Miata-based (NA) suspension/brakes all around.. I'm thinking I don't need much tire, and that the skinny little stock-looking rubber would look 'right' (as opposed to stuffing too-big tires in the arches because they're the only 'performance' size available)..  So, is it possible to run skinny little 13 inch tires on skinny little 13 inch rims and expect anything close to performance from the setup?  Maybe Coker or someone else offers sticky narrow tires that I've missed?

Thanks for your insight-

--ccrunner

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/2/20 7:22 a.m.

Your tires are about 21.5" tall currently. A Formula Vee front slick is the same height and 5" wide (Formula V Racing Tires | Pro 4 Race Tires by American RacerOfficial Site of American Racing Tires (americanraceronline.com)). You would need to  find some 5x15 wheels. I know 5.5x15 is easy to find, but 5" wide will be a little tougher. There must be someone supplying tires in the size you envision for vintage racing though.

Edit: Formula Ford fronts are 20/6.0-13 from the same source.

Formula Ford tires are 13" on 5 wide rims.  Look at the Hoosier catalog on line.

Also Formula Continental front tires would be correct.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
12/2/20 7:45 a.m.

Berkeley yes!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/2/20 9:14 a.m.

Hoosier makes a vintage race tire in 20.5x6x13 size. Smallest street performance tire I've found so far is a Yokohama (from TireRack) in a 185/55/14 size.

Toyo makes a 185/60/13  R888R that you could get away with on the street.

aw614
aw614 Reader
12/2/20 9:41 a.m.

Sucks due to lack of demand in the US that none of the Japanese tire companies bring in some of their smaller performance tire options. I've seen wheels on Yahoo Japan auctions equipped with 13in RE71rs before

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/2/20 10:07 a.m.

In reply to ccrunner :

You have  a few options.

Hoosier 20.5 x 6 x 13 Vintage TDR $195 each

Nankang AR-1 comes in 175/50-13 $119 each and 185/60-13 $125 each.

Avon ACB-9 22 x 5 x 13 $250 per tire.

Dunlop CR65s are available in 12" & 13" race tires, these are crazy expensive $300-$350 per tire.

I currently run the Hoosiers and they stick like one expects from purple crack, I get two race weekends and 3-4 track days out of them

I've ran a used set of Avons once, not as sticky as the Hoosier but the tall sidewalls made them fun.

I'm going to try the Nankangs at some point cause the price is hard to ignore.

ccrunner
ccrunner New Reader
12/2/20 11:17 a.m.

Thank you guys for your quick feedback!  I've looked at the tires you linked and mentioned, and now I'm pretty sure I'll end up running 2 sets of tires/wheels.. Not a bad thing, as it allows me to get a little more serious about choosing a dedicated track setup (I've only been on a track once -Buttonwillow-, so this is all a bit new to me..)  Anyway, I'll run super skinny (stock-looking) tires on the street, and due to fitment issues, for the track set, I'll likely end up with 175-50-13 tires.. those Nankang AR-1's look like they'll work (especially for the price!!)

Thank you guys.. I'm a total noob with track stuff, so I appreciate you indulging my tires and roll bar qs as I'm still in the build process... as the Berkeley gets closer to sorted, I'm beginning to think I owe it to myself to get it on a track and enjoy it in a way that I never could on the street..

--ccrunner  

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/2/20 11:42 a.m.

You could bring that car to the University of VARA weekend at Buttonwillow when you have it all dialed. Obviously it's a weekend with lots of cars on skinny tires.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/2/20 12:36 p.m.
classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
12/2/20 2:19 p.m.
Vigo (Forum Supporter) said:

Ahem: 

$38, 21.7" performance 13" street tire for narrow wheels.

Good find, I need some "rollers" for the Austin Healey 13s!

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/2/20 2:29 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Holy crap! $192.49 shipped. That's what is on my X/19 (picking it up this weekend).

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/20 2:39 p.m.

now I want to get my x1/9 going just so I can use those tires...

That said - OP - you might want to go down in size to 10s. These are 10x8 inch wheels and formula 500/600 cars have 4 different sizes that should be 19.5 to 20.5 inches tall and fit 6-8 inch wide wheels. 

Here's my 900lb car with 100 hp ridin' on 10s!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/2/20 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

The car has Miata suspension and brakes. 10" wheels aren't going to fit over the brakes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i6u4XEsHzYNkp8rSlgXCIwN1j9ZxWQmKz6PPpC4JUkzhUm9zPxtzDh6f0wf9TVPq