Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/11/16 8:57 a.m.

NASA NP01 Built by Élan Prototype Sports Racer for $73k

R&T - Track Testing the Élan NP01, a Le Mans-Style Race Car Regular Racers Can Afford

Powered by the 2.0L MZR.

1500lb without driver, over built with reliability, repair, and fat guys in mind.

Why are we not talking about this and how soon till a GRM build happens?

ÈLAN Motorsports NP01 - Homepage

https://www.youtube.com/embed/U9rCEDP3q2s

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/11/16 9:01 a.m.
at a staggeringly affordable price point.

Cant wait for the definition of "affordable"

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/11/16 9:04 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:

$72,500, half up front half on delivery. For a brand new race car, that ain't bad.

Think what they will sell for in 5 years!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/16 9:16 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:

This is pretty much the definition of affordable. Not just to purchase, but also to race. It's been built with cost containment in mind.

Of course, this vs a Mazda Global Cup Car would be an interesting choice. Bigger field for the Mazda and a lower buy-in, but it's a less exotic series.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/11/16 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I was hoping you would chime in....

Keith Tanner
8/11/16 9:31 a.m.

I've had the chance to crawl all over the NP01 and sit in one, but not drive it. I was also talking to NASA's technical director about some of the design choices. It's a good option, I hope they get a big enough field to make it a real series and not just a bunch of three-car exhibition races. I believe they're having trouble with halfshafts in testing (CV joints, maybe) but hopefully that'll get sorted out.

To put the price of this thing in perspective, R&T just had a road test of the affordable Corvette Grand Sport. Base price of $66k, but the price as tested was something like $93k. And that's a just road car that can do trackdays but can't run wheel-to-wheel without a cage.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
8/11/16 9:58 a.m.

The other issue here is cost of maintenance and cost/ease of repair. Buy in is almost always only a fraction of the real cost of racing.

In any case, this is a cool idea and I am watching with interest to see how it matures.

-chris r.

Keith Tanner
8/11/16 10:52 a.m.

Cost of maintenance and repair was taken into consideration during the design phase. The engine isn't some overstressed grenade. IIRC it's got the same uprights at all four corners. The body is in multiple pieces so a bit of rubbing doesn't mean a lot of fiberglass replacement. I think NASA did a good job.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/11/16 11:01 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Of course, this vs a Mazda Global Cup Car would be an interesting choice. Bigger field for the Mazda and a lower buy-in, but it's a less exotic series.

I'm still holding out hope for a 'spec exocet' class.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
8/11/16 11:18 a.m.

It would be interesting to compare/contrast this to the SCCA spec racer ford class, which seems to have some similar goals. I would guess these cars would be significantly faster than SRF, which could be either a positive or a negative depending on your skill/goals etc.

-chris r.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/11/16 11:24 a.m.

For a $75k track day car, I'd much rather have that than a $75k Porsche track day car of some sort. This thing looks simple and easy to work on, with a minimum of double-elbow arms and head-standing required.

alfadriver
alfadriver GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/16 11:57 a.m.

What's interesting about this particular car- there is a spec prototype car that has been around for a long time, using a very common and low operating cost powertrain- the PC cars- a common Oreca chassis and a 6.2l GM v8.

No idea of the cost, nor how different of a chassis they are.

But it's very similar in concept. If you want to slow it down, put a MZR in place of the v8, and call it a day.

Keith Tanner
8/11/16 12:22 p.m.
intrepid wrote: It would be interesting to compare/contrast this to the SCCA spec racer ford class, which seems to have some similar goals. I would guess these cars would be significantly faster than SRF, which could be either a positive or a negative depending on your skill/goals etc. -chris r.

I think the appeal of these vs a SRF is that they look like Le Mans prototypes if you squint. SRFs look like oversized full body karts.

Maybe GRM should do a comparison between the various entry-level spec series! Given a budget of $100k for a car and a year's racing, what can you do?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/11/16 1:51 p.m.

Come on editorial board we are giving you gold here!!!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/11/16 2:53 p.m.

That does sound like an interesting article.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
8/11/16 2:54 p.m.

So this isn't the first time NASA has supported a project like this, not sure what the difference is, it looks cool, but not that interesting to see 3 cars circulating the track, and one manufacturer making the parts . So if this becomes another flop you have a $75k (it was reported originally a $59k car) show car, that nobody knows what it is and you can't get parts. I am not NASA or SCCA member anymore but every time I see these concepts, I think that this is why Lemons, Chump, ect... is successful, at the end of the day its much more fun to race people on track. Than hot lap a exotica and get a trophy for 3rd place out of 3 cars.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/11/16 2:58 p.m.
Think what they will sell for in 5 years!

If that isn't the spirit of this board, I don't know what is...

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
8/11/16 3:23 p.m.

Hey, that's a really cool car.

But .... this:

nderwater wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Of course, this vs a Mazda Global Cup Car would be an interesting choice. Bigger field for the Mazda and a lower buy-in, but it's a less exotic series.
I'm still holding out hope for a 'spec exocet' class.

Call it the specocet series! ;)

The race-chassis exocets aren't very friendly to those of a larger disposition however.

Keith Tanner
8/11/16 3:56 p.m.

Spexocet!

I think that actually exists in the UK.

Our Preferred Partners
3i0kocqH7fNoVVlgQy9iFnXt7G4Qo6CXbVXPZTYTUCFyERmtG86ntVNuAZdJ46gu