moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
12/11/14 3:28 p.m.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/you-can-now-buy-a-prototype-race-car-for-the-price-of-a-1669976687/+travis

I walked past the booth eariler and wondered what was under the cover. I can stop by and pry for more details if anyone is interested.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
12/11/14 3:42 p.m.

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/road-racing/other-road-racing/nasa-creating-affordable-prototype-series/

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/11/14 3:48 p.m.

How easy is it to backlash the valves on a 2.0L skyactiv? #NASAscrutsdon'tcheck

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
12/11/14 3:51 p.m.

captdownshift
12/12/14 5:11 p.m.

Chassis is tight for larger drivers but should be safe if you can find your way out of it after a stuff

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/12/14 8:12 p.m.

They look awesome, but power to weight says they're not going to be terribly fast by race car standards. Perhaps the aero will help with that. Running costs should be low.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
12/12/14 9:28 p.m.

Those are pretty cool Daytona Prototype RC cars.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/13/14 6:46 a.m.

Chevy Suburbans are stupid expensive.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/13/14 7:29 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: Chevy Suburbans are stupid expensive.

They are, which sucks because I think the new design is genuinely attractive and there is even a metallic brown I like. I just can't quite stomach the fact that an even moderately equipped Suburban costs more than the V wagon.
As far as the race car goes, I think a lot of it's success will depend on what sort of contingencies Mazda throws at it and what sort of adoption rate it gets. If you can have 10+ car fields in every region and 30+ car fields at nationals, it should be a hit. If it's as reliable as people in the know say it should be, then it's a tires/brakes car for a season. At that point the $60k buy in makes sense vs a lot of other road racing cars.

captdownshift
12/13/14 8:17 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Nailed it, the operation cost would be less then just about anything above IT class

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/14/14 11:33 p.m.

so a full, dedicated, purpose-built race car for Elise money? sounds like it would make one hell of a trackday car for someone who's experienced enough to not need an instructor, even if they never take it wheel to wheel racing!

chada75
chada75 New Reader
12/16/14 5:00 a.m.

Run it on Ovals.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LZU5rG9HWmlH4uMHwoh8QdTdf8fXSA0M3Nlf73S7ns66e9ABlnlxaUXXXucrgacx