1 2
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/20 9:18 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Looking at the track map, brakes seem like they'll be a big factor.  Coming into Turns 1 and 10, the cars will be flying - possibly faster than at any other road course NASCAR races at.  How much will the brakes wear during each lap?  Would teams be allowed to replace brake pads during the planned segment stops? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/20 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

At least brakes have a chance to cool at Daytona. I wonder, will the Daytona road course be tougher on brakes than Martinsville? (I doubt it but, still, good question.)

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
7/9/20 9:39 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That Brembo article is interesting.  At the end, it mentions they see more pad wear at Watkins Glen than at Martinsville (might be different pad compounds?). While the long oval sections should allow the brakes to cool, the infield section after Turn 1 should put a hurting on them.  I suppose an unknown is how quickly an un-restricted Cup car will be able to get up to speed on the oval sections and what that speed will be.  You know the drivers are going to push those braking points as deep as they can.  

Should be fun to watch.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/20 10:14 a.m.

Yeah, could be different compounds, cooling, etc., as the pads only have to last through that race. 

I know a guy. Let me reach out. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
7/9/20 2:23 p.m.

JG's comparison video is fun to watch:

chada75
chada75 Reader
7/9/20 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Chesterfield :

Same here. Seems like a dirt driver makes a great road racer.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
7/9/20 5:38 p.m.

The brakes could be interesting as they will get up to pretty stout  speeds into both turn one and the chicane. If you go onto YouTube and watch some of those old  kelly American American challenge races they are basically short track cars road racing and guys always had brakes going and those were much shorter races without pit stops. Granted break technology has come a long way but it will probably still be key to not using them up.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
7/9/20 5:43 p.m.

The other interesting thing to see is if Goodyear brings a tire that works for this layout. Granted they have made them for other types of racing at Daytona but a cup car at Daytona will be a very different animal. They will probably just bring the tires they use for the Charlotte rovall but speeds will be much higher.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/20 6:09 p.m.

This is awesome!  I gotta go!  Are they allowing spectators?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/9/20 6:42 p.m.

Re: brakes

Been having a good conversatin with a NASCAR engineer (and occasional CAM autocrosser) on Twitter. Long story short, Daytona will extract fairly close to the same thermal energy/km at Roaad America, which the Xfinity cars run at with no issues. Martinsville is about 40% higher than both, though. So the Cup cars should have plenty of brake to survive Daytona.

But these are still solid-axle 3300lb cars on relatively skinny tires. While they may have "enough" brake, the braking precision or distances are not like a GT car. I think it's gona be a heck of a show.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lYCjrSZTy22Sofmw0Rd4lFZbTTmThSODGPQhBXxRBkLGsz0JoSSRGgN7lWd4WvBD