Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/6/21 11:55 a.m.
feature_image

Can NASCAR drivers make right turns? As it turns out, they can land some pretty sweet rallycross jumps, too.

The inaugural Nitro Rallycross Championship had its season finale this past weekend at the Florida International Rally and Motorsports Park (also known as the Official Test Track of Grassroots Motorsports), where NASCAR Cup champion Chase Elliott made his debut on the …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
12/6/21 12:20 p.m.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this rallycross series sticks–at least for a little while. It was a lot of fun to watch, as most of the drivers seemed pretty on par with one another as far as competitiveness goes.

Cleetus McFarland even competed in the SxS races on Saturday, which is a series I'd love to see more of (high center of gravity = high chance of fun).

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
12/6/21 1:45 p.m.

Wow that looks like a cool event! Ill definitely have to go if it comes back to the FIRM. From the replays those drone shots look awesome. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/21 1:47 p.m.

I was there watching as well.  They put on a fantastic show!  I'm glad to see the Firm getting some national spotlight, its a great facility with a great group of people running it.  I'm excited to use some of these new track elements for the Firm's upcoming rallycross season.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/21 3:38 p.m.

My son and I were there yesterday and it was AWESOME! What phenomenal racing!! Seriously shopping for a rallycross car now!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/21 9:43 p.m.

Race stewards.......  ick.  That was about as clean as you can expect on that course.  I'd love to see the "damage" from that horrific collision....  I bet shopping carts have done worse in parking lots.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/21 7:41 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I agree that was a weak call against Chase.   It was pretty minor contact for that series.

Colin Wood
12/7/21 9:08 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Makes me wonder if there is a reason why the stewards were so strict with contact.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/21 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

No idea, but it was a disappointing result for such a good race.  Especially the way the announcers talked Chase down a bit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eU0EbnGIrJwWlG3kVhFGUIHBI0e9IGjfOmn0SthrSmOedemtz61bG6TvvYKDaUZx