SPG123
SPG123 Reader
3/30/16 8:07 p.m.

We will be driving the family Mazda 5 of doom through Nashville on Saturday the 8th. Any tips for reasonable accommodations or must see stuff?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/30/16 8:16 p.m.

Lane Motor Museum.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/30/16 8:30 p.m.

Jack whites record studio is there. Also check out the the marathon motor factory. Old car factory that now is an impromptu museum with a soda parlor among other things inside. If you like weird macabe things check out hail nashville. Dont forget to get some hot chicken from hattie b's (dont get too hot it's seriously hot) or mas tacos for good authentic latino

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/30/16 8:53 p.m.

Parthenon, off the 440.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/30/16 9:16 p.m.

I came on here to say Lane Motor Museum. Great place and even better staff.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/30/16 9:17 p.m.

Oh, and grab some BBQ at Jack's Place

eebasist
eebasist Reader
3/30/16 9:33 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

All the fun is around Broadway and 2nd street. Tons of bars, good to great music, great vibe in the area. Walk to printers alley. Many hotels in the area or stay in the west end and Uber it in to the area. If the weather is good, it will be a lot of fun

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
3/31/16 5:12 a.m.

Just did this two days ago (spring break road trip).

Lane is fun for the motorheads, but wouldn't be for non-motorheads. The basement tour is a worthwhile addition.

Grand Ole Opry tour was a lot of fun and well worthwhile. Gaylord's for the flowers and landscaping for those into that. Cooters and the Willy Nelson place, a whole lot less worthwhile. But, it kills an hour.

Country Music Hall of Fame and the RCA Studio B tour was a great way to spend some money. It really was a lot more interesting and entertaining than I expected.

Goo Goo. It'll make sense once you're there.

Go into some of the shops and try on cowboy boots and hats. It's fun.

Jack's was great. Get the ribs btw. Son got those, and I was jealous. He devoured them like a rabid chipmunk.

Pretty much walking Broadway and a block or two on either side will fill a day.

The Parthenon is neat, even if it's closed. Heck, there was a Buddhist monk leading prayers there in front of the door. As well kids making a silly movie, and some glamour shots being done by teen age girls. The whole park is darn nice, and you may as well walk over to the molecules and the spring.

How into audio are you, and how well behaved is the hoard you'll be traveling with? A place called Vintage King Audio is one of the most amazing audiophile places you'll ever come across.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/31/16 5:35 a.m.

Check out Greening Automotive. It's in kind of a rough neighborhood of East Nashville, but the shop is really nice, they build some awesome cars and the owners are really nice and will give you the full tour (No photos allowed though)

Also, I recommend The Hermitage, over in Old Hickory. It was Andrew Jackson's home and the place is pretty amazing, especially considering a lot of it was original.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/31/16 5:47 a.m.

Rotier's for a burger across from the Parthenon. Flying Saucer by the old Train Station for beer.

Enjoy, Nashville was a nice place to call home for about 5 years.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/31/16 5:48 a.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

I gotta disagree about non-motorheads not enjoying Lane.

There are very few people who care less about cars than my wife and kids. But they thoroughly enjoyed Lane because it is so rich with history, creativity, and quirkiness. We spent weeks with questions like, "Dad, did people really drive something like that?" and "Oh my gosh, that was awesome".

My wife found both nostalgia and intrigue. My kids wanted to dig deeper into history, war, Soviet lifestyle, all kinds of stuff.

They all want to go back, even though they know absolutely nothing about the automotive geekiness.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/16 5:50 a.m.

http://nashvillefarmersmarket.org/merchants/market_house_profile/jamaicaway_restaurant-now_open_for_lunch_catering

Check out the Farmer's Market, Jamaicaway Restaurant in particular. It's in the shadow of the capitol building, and immediately west of the Capitol Mall State Park.

Everyone loves Nashville BBQ, but Jamaicaway is the meal I remember most. Good vegetarian and vegan options too.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/16 5:56 a.m.

I'll also add, depending on the direction of your travels, you could catch The Tail of The Dragon, the Nissan factory tour in Smyrna, the Mercedes factory tour in Vance, Alabama, the NASA Air and Space Museum in Huntsville, or the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/31/16 5:58 a.m.

Oh yeah

DO NOT SPEED ON I-40 IT IS THE MOST PATROLED SECTION OF HIGHWAY IN THE COUNTRY AND THE STATE TROOPER THAT HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE MOST TICKETS IN THE COUNTRY WORKS SOUTH OF NASHVILLE. MORE THAN 7 OVER IS A RISK!!!!

Never Ever be the fastest guy on the highway at the minimum.

dbgrubbs
dbgrubbs Reader
3/31/16 6:07 a.m.

Was just there this past weekend. Ran into Dave Turbin from the show Gold Rush at Printers Alley. Went to a Predators game since I was there (Atlanta no longer has an NHL team, sigh.........).

Lane Museum was great. Basement tour was better than upstairs. I had met the tour guide last year at Mitty. He's pretty passionate about the cars. Got to see one of my favorite cars (Integrale).

Try eating at The Southern downtown.

Marathon building (American Pickers) was so crowded that we didn't even contemplate standing in line with 200 people to get in. Looked cool though.

Hotels in Nashville and anywhere near Nashville are pretty pricey. Be prepared.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/31/16 7:14 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Oh yeah DO NOT SPEED ON I-40 IT IS THE MOST PATROLED SECTION OF HIGHWAY IN THE COUNTRY AND THE STATE TROOPER THAT HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE MOST TICKETS IN THE COUNTRY WORKS SOUTH OF NASHVILLE. MORE THAN 7 OVER IS A RISK!!!! Never Ever be the fastest guy on the highway at the minimum.

What, really? I lived there for 2 years and visit every year for a week and I-40 is a madhouse. You have to be doing 80mph, minimum, or you get run over.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/31/16 7:26 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Flight Service wrote: Oh yeah DO NOT SPEED ON I-40 IT IS THE MOST PATROLED SECTION OF HIGHWAY IN THE COUNTRY AND THE STATE TROOPER THAT HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE MOST TICKETS IN THE COUNTRY WORKS SOUTH OF NASHVILLE. MORE THAN 7 OVER IS A RISK!!!! Never Ever be the fastest guy on the highway at the minimum.
What, really? I lived there for 2 years and visit every year for a week and I-40 is a madhouse. You have to be doing 80mph, minimum, or you get run over.

Where you the fastest? and in town is not as big a deal as just out side.

Franklin, Antioch, Hermitage, Bellemeade are all speed traps of State Troopers. Nashville Metro could give two E36 M3s.

whenry
whenry Reader
3/31/16 7:49 a.m.

Stay at the Hermitage Hotel downtown. Worth every dollar charged. Do all the things mentioned so far and eat breakfast at Puckett's on 4th ave. Part of the fun of Nashville is the cruising of the bars and joints and watching the local talent. You never know who might be sitting in.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
3/31/16 8:10 a.m.

Dont forget Cooters Place and right next door is the Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings museum. There is a bar/restaurant right next door that has good cheap burgers and lots of free music.

BTD
BTD New Reader
3/31/16 8:13 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to foxtrapper: I gotta disagree about non-motorheads not enjoying Lane. There are very few people who care less about cars than my wife and kids. But they thoroughly enjoyed Lane because it is so rich with history, creativity, and quirkiness. We spent weeks with questions like, "Dad, did people really drive something like that?" and "Oh my gosh, that was awesome". My wife found both nostalgia and intrigue. My kids wanted to dig deeper into history, war, Soviet lifestyle, all kinds of stuff. They all want to go back, even though they know absolutely nothing about the automotive geekiness.

I agree with this, my non-gearhead girlfriend loved the museum. There's so many strange cars that everyone will be interested. Lots of one off-hand build cars from the early years, motorcycles, JDM only, etc.

Go to Hattie B's for Nashville Hot chicken. Get there early (~10-15min before open) as there will be a line and they will sell out.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
3/31/16 9:03 a.m.

Nashville is a "young" town, a State Capitol with several universities and lots of students. Think Austin, TX and Madison, Wisconsin. It has it's own feel, of course. Lots of nightlife, music, and lots of competition for your entertainment dollar. Very fun place.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/31/16 9:45 a.m.

I've got to disagree here. I've commuted weekly on i40 for the last 17 years and I haul ass. Belle Meade can be a speed trap, but not i40. Now if it's after an event you'll probably see cops pretty often looking to grab some DUIs.

As far as Nashville stuff. The old school 1/8th mile drag strip, 'music city raceway', is fun. I used to run my bikes there. You'll want to sit on the bleachers at the side of the track where the concession stand and tower is.

I like pepperfire better than Hattie bs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8SNr7m7hPeKMCQ4AvAqX7SbVmUNIVUCk5A6pbSqfRRkC4cgAGPwQExGqzVYNy3d4