bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
2/19/14 5:18 p.m.

So my buddy got an 00' SE, he found some links that said if you run a 01+ NB header it makes more power than a 99-0 header: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=495535

Is this legit? I figure there are so many miata enthusiasts on here there has ot be a solid answer, he is doing it strictly for power emissions are a non issue for him but it also kinda sounds too good to be true....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/14 5:28 p.m.

It's not a massive difference. However, if you live in California, you can remove the restrictive pre-cat and replace it with stock-looking OE parts. You get a bigger power increase with that and you'll still get through a visual inspection.

It wouldn't be the first thing I'd do to the car.

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
2/19/14 5:31 p.m.

What would be the first you would do, he has MSM suspension to go on and is getting new tires (some thing in the s.drive or sport comp.2 realm). I could not find any dyno's to back up claimed 10hp gains....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/14 5:35 p.m.

First, fix what's broken.

If I was chasing power, I'd decide what my ultimate plan was going to be. An extra 10 hp? 250 hp turbo? All-motor build? Then I'd start by upgrading the parts that I can reuse. For example, if you're planning to go turbo then a header is a waste of money - but a good clutch or an ECU isn't.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
2/19/14 6:18 p.m.

If he has the 2 cat car, you will throw a code if you lose the first cat. The 2 o2 sensors are in different places. I bought a conjigger that is supposed to fool the ECU off of of the internet when I put a eBay header on my 99, but I never installed it. Sitting in my toolbox. If he needs it, it's his for the cost of postage.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/19/14 7:01 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: If he has the 2 cat car, you will throw a code if you lose the first cat. The 2 o2 sensors are in different places. I bought a conjigger that is supposed to fool the ECU off of of the internet when I put a eBay header on my 99, but I never installed it. Sitting in my toolbox. If he needs it, it's his for the cost of postage.

It throws a code because the front O2 sensor is in the exhaust manifold and the rear one is in the pipe between the pre-cat and the main cat. Federal cars have the front O2 sensor where the rear one is on the CA cars, and the rear one is in the mid pipe, behind the main cat. It's possible to move the rear O2 sensor to the Federal location (may require welding in a bung for it) using an extension harness that Racing Beat sells for pretty cheap, and this will keep the computer happy. Obviously this may violate local emissions laws. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bsF4xWzhZHLDraZimffM2n2NvCCnMYj1o99irSlnE8HsYTnRDlWohKWQPlkqbLGy