1 2
redstack
redstack Reader
9/12/15 10:03 p.m.

Anybody else think it's weird that new Miata only comes in boring Noncolors? Black,white, gray, and for an extra $800 the red that is on every photo. Why no blues, BRG, yellow, that wild purple they used for M edition. All the choices seem bland to me. I guess the white would let you revive the Miata stripe industry.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/15 10:06 p.m.

There is a blue. Go check their website. I know because that's what I'll likely order.

Just wish there were more interior colors, but I suspect more options will come in the next few model years.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
9/12/15 10:22 p.m.

Japan got yellow i think.

redstack
redstack Reader
9/12/15 10:37 p.m.

I looked at the site last week and was surprised at the lack of colors. Glad they added some more. Now to get the tan/black interior colors back.

redstack
redstack Reader
9/12/15 10:50 p.m.

Oh I see, the blue and light interior are only available on the Top of the line. Too Bad

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/12/15 11:53 p.m.

If they use real colors, what will they put on the special editions that come out every single year?

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
9/12/15 11:57 p.m.

Mazda like to come out with "Special Edition" Miatae every few days. So just hang on a bit and I am sure that your desire will be fulfilled with a limited edition of some sort.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/13/15 7:22 a.m.

Yep I am waiting for a few different colors and the PRHT. It's Mazda's way. They will be here in a year or two.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/13/15 7:59 a.m.

When a car is special enough, you don't need a color to make it so.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
9/13/15 8:08 a.m.

BRG with a tan interior is what make me go in debt ATM.

Adrift
Adrift Reader
9/13/15 11:50 a.m.

"You can have any color you want as long as it's a shade of gray."

H. Ford

He did it because it was cheaper to produce. Apparently, he is still a great "innovator". What goes around comes around.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/13/15 11:56 a.m.

I still don't get why I can't go down to Dealership A, order a car, and get it in a color I want, not what they choose to produce for a fee. I understand bottom lines and ease of production but if a customer is willing to pay why not? I know BMW and Porsche will allow you too

EvanR
EvanR Dork
9/13/15 12:07 p.m.

Mazda does this in all of their low-spec cars. I would have bought a stickshift CX-5 if it came in anything but gray, another gray, or black.

Adrift
Adrift Reader
9/13/15 12:13 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Mazda does this in all of their low-spec cars.

Duck!!!!

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/15 12:30 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I still don't get why I can't go down to Dealership A, order a car, and get it in a color I want, not what they choose to produce for a fee. I understand bottom lines and ease of production but if a customer is willing to pay why not? I know BMW and Porsche will allow you too

Because there's a cost to designing, setting up, and running a production line that has the capability of doing custom colors. Also, the per-car cost for Porsche is something like $10K, and for Audi (who doesn't do full custom, just allows you to pick from a list of about 50 colors they've painted various Audis over the last 20 years or so) it's $5K. Few people would be willing to add 30% to the price of a Miata just to get their own paint color.

As for why the cars only come in stupid, boring colors, it's because that's what most people want to buy.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/13/15 12:43 p.m.

It looks like their color "line" extends to most of their cars right now. With a few notable exceptions the same colors on the Miata are the one's you can get on the 3 and 6. Although the 6 we just bought is one of those exceptions; Deep Crystal Blue Mica.

I like the Soul Red, but I really wish they would offer Dynamic Blue as an option. It's on the CX-3 and I know they offer it in Japan but for some reason we get stuck with all the muted colors. Who knows what sort of people sit in offices and make these sort of goofy decisions. Ceramic seems to be the most useless color to me. Reflex Blue isn't terrible, but not available on the Club so no blue Miata with a LSD. Ugh.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
9/13/15 12:50 p.m.

I'd like that bright green that the mazda2 came in. That'd be slick

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
9/13/15 12:56 p.m.
Adrift wrote: "You can have any color you want as long as it's BLACK." H. Ford

Sorry had to fix that, black was the cheapest color to buy and thus the only color he wanted to use.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
9/13/15 1:05 p.m.

The ceramic, in person, outside, looks terrific to me. It's the color I would choose for sure.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/15 3:03 p.m.

What are you guys complaining about? For 50 bucks you can roll on any color you want!

Adrift
Adrift Reader
9/13/15 3:17 p.m.
chiodos wrote:
Adrift wrote: "You can have any color you want as long as it's BLACK." H. Ford
Sorry had to fix that, black was the cheapest color to buy and thus the only color he wanted to use.

Henry Ford said black. I was quoting my neighbor, Howard Ford.

Ok... I took artistic license.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
9/13/15 3:26 p.m.
iadr wrote: Anyway the "muted"/conservative colour pallet is because they are concerned about resale value. Too many years of rust problems, mechanical problems (RX8, speed3&6, & CX7) and gimmicky styling have them being some of the fastest depreciating cars on the market, even though since fall of 2013 they are some of the best engineered and finished vehicles in their segment.

Interestingly, the NC Miata seems to be exempt from this.

Adrift
Adrift Reader
9/13/15 3:27 p.m.
codrus wrote: As for why the cars only come in stupid, boring colors, it's because that's what most people want to buy.

I think only boring colors exist because that's what dealers buy. They don't want to risk having a lime green or orange car sitting on their lot waiting for the right buyer. Time sitting is money lost. Most people just buy from stock.

For Accords this is fine, but for "special" cars that people are willing to wait for, like the Miata, I think the chance to order from wider color palette would be a good business decision.

redstack
redstack Reader
9/13/15 3:46 p.m.

@adrift, I got the joke..

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/15 4:11 p.m.
Adrift wrote:
codrus wrote: As for why the cars only come in stupid, boring colors, it's because that's what most people want to buy.
I think only boring colors exist because that's what dealers buy. They don't want to risk having a lime green or orange car sitting on their lot waiting for the right buyer. Time sitting is money lost. Most people just buy from stock.

You're saying the same thing, just one step removed. Most people don't want to buy bright yellow or bright green, so the dealers don't order them, so the manufacturers don't bother to put them on the list.

Car colors are a trend thing. In the seventies it was orange and avocado green, in the 90s it was navy blue and forest green, now it's silver and gray. It'll be something else in another decade.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cHFDsUcPs2eLcAXdVOxeEy785MIrb4ZoDvvczEP2cum7FPcV9OrNkAaSQrcr0FYw