1 2
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller New Reader
5/22/16 5:13 p.m.

I live in a small farm community. Around the corner from me, which is about three quarters of a mile, there is a house with a cluttered garage that I have noticed and old 911 hidden in the corner of the garage. From the glances that I have gotten a few times passing the garage I know that it is at least a 73 or older 911 based on the style of the front corner lamps. The car is backed into the garage and junk is plied around and on top of it. How do I approach these people without freaking them out knowing that I've been peeking in your garage as I drive by. Also if it is in fact up for sale knowing what I know it could even be a 912 for that matter. What price in my head should I have ready to offer them for such car? I know the prices of these are appreciating rapidly. Chances are they may be aware of the value or they may not be interested in selling but I'd like to know for sure. Anybody else get in this kind of situation that could offer me some advice I'd appreciate it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/16 5:17 p.m.

I know these cars very well and I understand how to talk to these people. I think that it would probably be best if I make the first contact for you. Send me his name and address...

rustybugkiller
5/22/16 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Nice try!

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
5/22/16 5:34 p.m.

Tell them you are a car guy and you noticed an old car and would like to take a look at it.

Don't identify the car, other than by location.

Let them tell you about it, or tell you to take a hike.

After hearing their story and looking the car over, ask them what their plans are for it.

Then the big question would they consider selling it.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/22/16 5:39 p.m.

^^ Write that in a letter with your contact info and put it in the mailbox. If you hear from them - they are interested in selling.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/22/16 5:46 p.m.

I learned all about this on TV.

Apparently what you need to do is approach them and say: "hey brother, can I talk to you about your car". It works almost every time!

docwyte
docwyte Dork
5/22/16 6:05 p.m.

Sounds like a long nose. Those are worth stupid cash right now, even with massive rust holes in it and in totally non operational shape.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
5/22/16 6:12 p.m.
aircooled wrote: I learned all about this on TV. Apparently what you need to do is approach them and say: "hey brother, can I talk to you about your car". It works almost every time!

Don't forget to say "we're car guys" and "it will only take 5 minutes" a few times

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/22/16 6:12 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Sounds like a long nose. Those are worth stupid cash right now, even with massive rust holes in it and in totally non operational shape.

And I'm not sure it's possible that somebody that has one in their garage doesn't know this.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/16 6:13 p.m.
Chadeux wrote:
docwyte wrote: Sounds like a long nose. Those are worth stupid cash right now, even with massive rust holes in it and in totally non operational shape.
And I'm not sure it's possible that somebody that has one in their garage doesn't know this.

makes me wish I still had mine. 25 some years ago they were "just an old 911"

docwyte
docwyte Dork
5/22/16 6:14 p.m.

What I find really hilarious is those old 911's are just CRAP to drive!

rustybugkiller
5/22/16 6:24 p.m.

I'm sure that's the case. But how many of us would attempt a purchase? I just gotta know! In reply to Chadeux:

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/22/16 6:25 p.m.

Feel free to email me markwemple at yahoo dot com

Ive owned these for 31 years. 912s and 911s. I'll tell ypu where to look and what to ask.

rustybugkiller
5/22/16 6:25 p.m.

What if it's a early 912? What's it worth?

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/22/16 6:28 p.m.
docwyte wrote: What I find really hilarious is those old 911's are just CRAP to drive!

I enjoy them but you do need to aware of what to expect. For 3 years during law school my dd was a 76. Now I dd a 996. Night and day. The 993 feels decades older than a 996. I get a kick of all the 996 complaints when they are really much more reliable overall. Almost Toyota territory if ypu maintain them right and drive them regularly. Low mileage 996s really scare me.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/22/16 6:31 p.m.
rustybugkiller wrote: What if it's a early 912? What's it worth?

Condition and records are everything. Again email me so I can go into detail. 1st questions are year, miles, 3 or 5 guages, alloys or steel wheels, targa or hard top, soft window, sunroof.....

rustybugkiller
5/22/16 6:38 p.m.
markwemple wrote: Feel free to email me markwemple at yahoo dot com Ive owned these for 31 years. 912s and 911s. I'll tell ypu where to look and what to ask.

Sorry U beat me to it. I'll email u

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/22/16 6:57 p.m.

Just an fyi, the early, pre 69, cars have a shorter wheel base. They are worth more but not as nice to drive.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/22/16 7:25 p.m.

I've found that the approach makes all the difference. I like to do it in person so I've stalked on weekends and weekdays after 5 just to try and catch someone outside. I never park in their drive but always at the street of possible. First words out of my mouth are "I'm sorry." Actually saw a show where a guy asked people to use their cell phone in a train station and when he said "I'm sorry it's raining outside" he had like a 70% success rate. I've done the leave the note but only when stalking didn't work. As soon as they contact me I've said "I'm sorry I had to leave a note but I didn't want to get in your business. I did notice your car/truck. Can you tell me about it?"

rustybugkiller
5/22/16 8:23 p.m.
Stampie wrote: I've found that the approach makes all the difference. I like to do it in person so I've stalked on weekends and weekdays after 5 just to try and catch someone outside. I never park in their drive but always at the street of possible. First words out of my mouth are "I'm sorry." Actually saw a show where a guy asked people to use their cell phone in a train station and when he said "I'm sorry it's raining outside" he had like a 70% success rate. I've done the leave the note but only when stalking didn't work. As soon as they contact me I've said "I'm sorry I had to leave a note but I didn't want to get in your business. I did notice your car/truck. Can you tell me about it?"

I like this approach. I drove by twice today. Garage open but no one outside. I'll pass by that way after work in the hope of catching them outside.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
5/23/16 7:12 a.m.

Do you personally know any of the people that have lived in the area a long time? If it's a small farming community then people know him, and you could find out how he is to talk to. Maybe he's the type that loves company and will talk your ears off, maybe he'll call the sheriff as soon as you walk on to his property. Better to know beforehand. Either way I would definitely only stop when he's outside. If you knock on the door when he's eating supper or taking a nap he's not gonna be happy.

One thing that makes old timers hold on to their old cars is not wanting to do the work they think will be involved in selling. Spending money to get it running, have it detailed, dealing with a bunch of tire kickers, etc. Let him know you will take it as is and eliminate the work.

He may shoot you down at first, but leave your name and phone number. After he thinks it over and realizes that he's not going to get back on the road like he always had planned he may decide in a month or a year it's time to sell and call you first instead of selling publicly.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/16 7:27 a.m.

I think that it helps if you're driving an interesting car when you approach him. Do you have an old Bug? That would be a good conversation starter.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/23/16 7:44 a.m.
rustybugkiller wrote: What if it's a early 912? What's it worth?

What's with all the negative vibes, man??

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/16 10:40 a.m.

If you go down the "Hey neat car..." route, even if it amounts to a no sale, you srill might get a car guy you can stop by a BS with.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
5/23/16 3:44 p.m.

They may very well know exactly what it's worth. I've seen some recent barn find stories (like a Larry Shindoa owned prototype 69 Boss 302) where the owner seems to be entirely casual about where and how they poorly store a car that they know to do worth a ton of money and have just ignored for the better part of 3 decades with the "I'll fix it up someday" mentality. You might strike up a conversation only to find out that they want "Barrett Jackson money". Good luck though! It can't hurt to try.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
txaqDO9yDnipGUcIzGlhInOlgGxHOZAFtAl9T21fuOf0CSdvKeOGRuryUdA0UGOR