1 2 3
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/16/21 4:07 p.m.

So I finally got the Schrick manifold on my VW Corrado today and I went out for a drive.  Hmm, I can't feel the manifold switching over runners.

Go to Harbor Freight, buy their Mity Vac, test the vacuum going into the actuator on the top of the manifold.  Yep, the Schrick control box is working, it's sending vacuum when it should.  Test the actuator on top of the manifold, nope, it's not moving.

Check to see if I can manually move the actuator rod.  Yep, that works.  If I move it all the way up, then put my thumb over the vacuum port on top, it doesn't hold the rod up.  Crap, need a new one.

Here's the issue, that part is NLA.  Not available from the dealer, Rock Auto, any Auto Parts Store, none of them.  It's off a '96-'99 Ford Explorer with the SOHC 4.0L engine and it's the intake manifold vacuum actuator.

Part # F77Z-9G-463AA

Anyone have one of these laying around?  Otherwise I'll have to hit a pick n pull and buy as many as I can find, hoping that one works...

sergio
sergio HalfDork
9/16/21 4:15 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Let me check my parts stash

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/16/21 4:16 p.m.

There are five '96-'99 4.0L Explorers at the nearest U-Pull yard to me, and I'm headed there on Saturday. I can bring the Mityvac with and see if I can find you a working one if nobody else steps up first.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/16/21 4:22 p.m.

Thanks!  The number on the top of the actuator will be:

97JF-9G463-AE

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/16/21 4:30 p.m.

I can't find pictures, but is it this?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/16/21 4:37 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

So I tried to order from them already.  I got a message saying they had to check stock and then shipping cost and will send me an invoice.  Which doesn't seem promising...

sergio
sergio HalfDork
9/16/21 5:06 p.m.

is this what you need?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/16/21 5:29 p.m.

In reply to sergio :

nope.  It's a vacuum actuator, not a vacuum tank

it looks like a hand grenade, with a single vacuum port on the top and a linkage on the bottom

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/16/21 8:02 p.m.

Trying to find a part for a 20 year old Ford.  You so funny!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/16/21 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Not really sure I understand your point...

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/16/21 9:14 p.m.

Sometimes Tasca Ford has NLA or hard to find parts in stock: https://www.tascaparts.com/

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/16/21 9:49 p.m.

So been awhile since I've been to a pick n pull yard.  What all should I bring with me to try and take this thing off?  I'm definitely bringing my Mity Vac so I can test them there.  I figured a few screwdrivers, 3/8" rachet with extensions, metric sockets, channel locks, metric box wrenches.  Anything else?  Wagon to put all the tools in?  They won't let me bring a backpack or small duffel into the yard with my tools, will they?

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/16/21 10:23 p.m.

Sounds like a good list of tools. I usually bring a sharp utility knife and wire cutters too.

My local yard has no problem with any sort of tool box/bag you want to bring in, but they may check it for smuggled parts on the way out. They usually don't, though.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/21 10:58 p.m.
docwyte said:

So been awhile since I've been to a pick n pull yard.  What all should I bring with me to try and take this thing off?  

Take a reciprocating saw. I always wish I had a cordless saw at the junkyard.

Seriously, though, I'd be surprised if they won't let you bring a bag in, but they'll probably check it to make sure you're not smuggling parts out.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/16/21 11:02 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Ford doesn't make parts for anything older than about ten years.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/17/21 7:12 a.m.

Not a single dealer in the country shows the part number you posted.... however... one in Vermont does show the valve that the actuator controls, and it comes with the actuator attached. It's part number F77Z-9J451-AA. Pm me if you want the dealers contact info. It'll probably be about $150 for the part. If you want to find a used one they were actually only used on 97-98s.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/17/21 7:23 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to docwyte :

Ford doesn't make parts for anything older than about ten years.

Truth. They are one of the worst manufacturers for seemingly forgetting they ever made a particular car. I'd really like to have another Mk1 Fiesta but not ready to deal with all the 'unobtainium'. It was true when I had my '72 Capri...back in the late 1980s. Being a Ford guy is often a frustrating experience.

Ford sells most of their obsolete parts to a company called Green Sales http://www.greensalescompany.com/

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/17/21 7:56 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

I'll send you an email...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/17/21 8:00 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Checked all the part numbers on their site, they're out of stock on all of them

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/17/21 8:15 p.m.

Found and bought two of the actuators from the local pick n pull.  Had to go to two yards to find them.  I wasn't sure they worked when I tested them in the yard.  I thought about bringing torx bits with me but didn't.  That was a mistake as these are held in place with either T20 or T25 torx.  I managed to get them off but what would've been an easy 1 minute job turned tense and some swearing happened.

Came home and tested them more thoroughly and yup, both are bad.  Bummer!  Guess I'll return them to the yard next Friday.

I used the info Saron81 sent me and I think I have a brand new one coming to me.  Obsolete is going to check when he hits the yard tomorrow. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/17/21 8:59 p.m.

I am likely to hit a yard tomorrow - search the Prescott Valley location.

If they have the car tell me what it is and the color and which row. A pic of the part too :) 

https://www.u-pick-it-arizona.com/ 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/17/21 9:40 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Looks like there's a red one in row 302.  Been there a week, there are others but they've been there since late July.  White ones in rows 310, 315, 319 and a red one in row 320.

what I'm looking for is only on the sohc 4.0 liter motors.  It's that grenade looking thing with the vacuum port on the top and rod coming out the bottom 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/17/21 9:49 p.m.

OK a couple things

1 - what Ford vehicle? 

2 - my dad made grenades (pineapple style) during WWII so verify if the pic below is your grenade

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/17/21 9:52 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

1997-1998 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 liter sohc 6 cylinder.

Yep, what you pictured is what I need.  Held in place with either t20 or t25 torx bolts.  It's right on top of the intake manifold once you remove the plastic beauty cover

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/17/21 10:14 p.m.

OH, I'll be there for Ranger parts so EZ. Wouldn't the same part be on Rangers too?

Torx no problem I carry a set with me.

And to further clarify just the round part or the round and square piece together?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xn287DfCKDAFgs7AYRAILEWrll6DeXEkXD5n0J8g2vImmwPQZdb9QGfntdPYthXo