1 2
GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
1/21/17 9:25 a.m.

Dude the fiero for a grand is a STEAL. Shurely sherlly?I have something you need to sway cost,My best Buds #1 son just totaled his pick up truck, LS engine/tranny swap material/in fiero.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/21/17 5:00 p.m.

Lincoln Mark 8 asking $1,500. '97 w/ 150k. Especially good since airbags have already been replaced with springs.

1) you'll fit.
2) it will drag well with no mods. 290 hp should give 14.9 drag time. Even better if you add drag tires.
3) with sticky rubbber, it will not completely embarrasse itself on the autox either (new springs better than old bags)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/21/17 5:15 p.m.

Do you have any body work skills to improve this rear fender?

2005 PT Cruiser turbo convertible

Solves your headroom issues.
14 sec drag times stock but better if you turn up the boost!
Room for sticky tires and maybe lowering springs.

The ad doesn't mention turbo but the trunk lid has a turbo badge and those are turbo rims.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/21/17 5:29 p.m.

Fiero is a 3.4 from a camaro with Megasquirt, a Garrett turbo and a full cage. 5 speed. It could easily be zeroed out

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
1/21/17 6:11 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Fiero is a 3.4 from a camaro with Megasquirt, a Garrett turbo and a full cage. 5 speed. It could easily be zeroed out

This is the best deal available, definitely buy it.

For a $1000 I'd buy it at least once

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/17 12:08 p.m.

There are some REALLY light, cheap, and simple fwd Toyota's out there.

Rumor has it you can trade up from a bicycle and go on to win your autox state championship while putting a hurt on the challenge autox twice.

A bicycle.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/22/17 12:22 p.m.
Stampie wrote: You have to consider that a lot of the mods done for The Challenge would make the car totally uncompetitive for classed autocross. A Challenge car also needs to be more balanced with the drags in addition to autocross. Ask yourself what are your goals for the Challenge and what are your goals for after the Challenge. If you're wanting an autocross car that you can bring to the Challenge then find the best cheap autocross car that you can fit in. If you want a Challenge car that you'll autocross afterwards but don't care about classing then I'd suggest getting the most powerful cheap car you can fit in and figure out how to make it handle.

While that is a good point, one can also add to their personal challenge to make a car fit a specific class to autocross in. One that ends up being quick in the autocross would make very good fodder for an article- I think a lot of people would be interested in a $20xx competitive Street Prepared, Prepared, or Modified car.

Especially since one of the major keys to speed doesn't have to carry over to the normal autocrossing- the tires. It's reasonable to build a Street Prepared car to run on slicks are the Challenge Autocross.

The car I've been thinking about for over a decade is a CSP Miata- starting with a '99 Miata- since you can find them for cheap prices, and it has one of the good starting CSP engines that is quite simple to control.

ST cars- Miata or Civic BSP- late 80's Vettes (they have challenged before) CSP- Miata DSP- BMW 3 series. ESP- there's an SVO Mustang that got a trophy. But Camaro/Mustang. FSP- the entire field you can find a car that would be the right price for the challenge.

The challenge can be used for a lot.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/22/17 12:59 p.m.

The $2015, 10th placing finishing Q45 competed in FS autoxs both before and after The Challenge with no modifications.

As mentioned above, the Tercel when on to be class champion for all of Florida.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/22/17 3:12 p.m.

The amc is being built on c prepared rules.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus New Reader
1/23/17 4:01 a.m.

Sounds like you want a cheap autocross car more than a challenge car, is that a fair observation?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/23/17 5:52 a.m.

As much as I love the Challenge, an auotX only car that is not built to compete at the Challenge will probably be cheaper, and definitely have more long term potential.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
1/23/17 6:13 a.m.

Buy the fiero and buy that PT and put the drivetrain in Fiero. The megasquirt in the fiero can run the engine with the stock sensors, just needs the config changed for it.

MacDubois
MacDubois New Reader
1/23/17 7:25 a.m.

Thanks to the new CAM classes, pretty much all modified RWD American cars are legal in some for of autocross. I would shoot for that (if you like American cars). The rule book is available from the SCCA site, but the basics are street tires, more than 3000lbs and a "finished" interior. Leaves a lot of room for challenge-style mods, and cars made for tall guys can come close to the weight target.

After that, it's just a matter of finding what brand you like and putting something together.

CaptCaffeine
CaptCaffeine New Reader
1/23/17 11:01 a.m.
TurboFocus wrote: Sounds like you want a cheap autocross car more than a challenge car, is that a fair observation?

Yes it is.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/23/17 11:10 a.m.

In reply to CaptCaffeine:

The cheapest autocross car you can get is the car you are already driving daily.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/23/17 11:27 a.m.
CaptCaffeine wrote:
TurboFocus wrote: Sounds like you want a cheap autocross car more than a challenge car, is that a fair observation?
Yes it is.

Capt,
I dont want to pull you off the idea of competing in The Challenge if that is what you want but what you will see in this thread from earlier this month is that many feel it is wise to attend/spectate/help in your first year before bringing a car.

For no investment in a particular car, you can come and be an integral part of "the happenings". You can lend to the course work or you can lend to the wrench turning or more. Don't feel like there wont be a place for you.

You can very easily get aligned with another team through this board. You might choose a team that is close to you or you might choose a team that you wont physically see until the event but their program or car appeals to you.

Either way, my advise, as always is to GO. You wont be disappointed.

CaptCaffeine
CaptCaffeine New Reader
1/23/17 11:33 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Yea I am probably just going to attend this year its a local event for me so not a big deal to show up. I want some ideas and need to learn a bit more about cars. Seems like this is a pretty neat event though. I appreciate everyones input though. Also I found an old school Mini Cooper shell for like 400$ it was barebones but I was like damn I wonder if the PT Cruiser Turbo engine could go in here, lol. But yea John thanks for the tips.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/23/17 11:44 a.m.

With big enough fender flares, a big enough hood scoop, and a big enough welder ANY engine can fit in ANY car.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/17 11:56 a.m.

My advice would be to find a car that you really want to own beyond just the challenge; you will be spending a lot of time with it and it should be more than a one trick pony. My car from last year is becoming my solo racer, 2013's car is now my wife's daily driver, I wish I still had my car from 2010... see a trend?

Spectating is always a lot of fun and it is very true that almost any team there would welcome help of any kind. Every single person present shapes the event in some way and with so much going on it is very likely to stumble upon a situation where your individual input would be quite useful.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/17 11:58 a.m.

I saw that mini also. I had a some really dirty thoughts of what I'd do to it.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/23/17 11:59 a.m.

To the OP----- buy an inexpensive car that you like, and that you fit in comfortably. Clean the car up, put some nice rubber underneath it, and come down to the Challenge. You will learn so much at the event and come away with so many ideas, that your original car choice may not matter much.

It all depends what you like, what you enjoy working on, and if you fit in it. Find a car that fits those parameters, and come on down!

TurboFocus
TurboFocus New Reader
1/23/17 1:37 p.m.

if you plan on a autox car they're right, cheapest one is the one youre driving.

if part of the fun is building a car to your liking you may want to look into whats avail for cheap stuff

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QiG47EaI7uotJMGXbwCrbA4ysxe9NfRrqpCnKOSMoXX8Ing1LMnnTXiDc3ifRMdl