Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/15 10:13 p.m.

My coworkers stupid Honda is acting up again. 89 Civic LX D15A1 (SOHC 16 Valve TBI). The TPS isn't working right and the aftermarket says I have to buy an entire throttle body, which is ridiculous. It's like a mirror image to a normal EFI TPS for a Honda (spring goes clockwise instead of counter-clockwise). Does anybody know where I can get one or what other application could be made to work?

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
2/20/15 11:17 p.m.

I went to NAPA's online store and found two part numbers for replacement TPS's: NOE 6003345 and TEE TPK500. Both were less than $43 each.

Sounds like someone is trying to sell more throttle body assemblies than sensors.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/15 7:23 a.m.

I don't think that Honda has ever had a TPS available as a separate part. Just the way it is.

Javelin
2/21/15 9:42 a.m.

In reply to oldsaw:

Those are the incorrect ones. They have springs that turn counter-clockwise and are for EFI models. The TBI version turns clockwise.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
2/21/15 12:25 p.m.

'89 Civic D15 featured dual point fuel injection. It is difficult to remove the TPS without damage, so if you go to a junkyard pull the entire throttle body. Aftermarket TPS are available and cheap but have to be calibrated with a multimeter.

Javelin
2/21/15 12:43 p.m.

In reply to chaparral:

The TPS pops right off, just like the EFI version, once you slot the button heads and replace them with allen bolts. I cannot find any aftermarket TPS for it, hence this thread. The one junkyard that would sell us a TBI, as opposed to a complete motor, had a bad TPS on it, too.

Javelin
2/21/15 9:58 p.m.

Anybody? Hongs?

Javelin
2/22/15 11:23 p.m.

Really? GRM has failed?!?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/15 6:23 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Really? GRM has failed?!?

This thread isn't about what car to buy or financial advice.

As a former Honda tech we replaced the throttle body because that is how they were sold. It sucks but that's the way it is (like replacing an alternator when all you need are 5 bucks in brushes). I have zero experience with the aftermarket sensors but it sounds like that isn't even an option for you. Short of going to a junkyard and seeing if there is a similar TPS on another Japanese 80s car, it looks like you need a throttle body. If it was in my bay at the shop that's what it would get.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
2/23/15 6:29 a.m.

not knowing any better, I replaced the brushes on the alternator in my first Civic

1976 Civic 1200 … of course way back then maybe there were sub-assemblies available

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/15 6:38 a.m.
wbjones wrote: not knowing any better, I replaced the brushes on the alternator in my first Civic 1976 Civic 1200 … of course way back then maybe there were sub-assemblies available

Exactly. At some point they became an item we couldn't get. I think we could get up to early 90s cars. After that, swap the alternator. Most cars are that way unless you find an aftermarket source.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/15 7:24 a.m.

Go to the junkyard and do the Mini Me Swap. For only a few dollars more, you'll have MPFI.

Javelin
2/23/15 8:38 a.m.

Aww crap. Well thanks then. I'll keep trying, because a TBI unit is more than the car is worth.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/23/15 9:16 a.m.

Nothing out there on eBay?

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
2/23/15 9:47 a.m.

Where are you? I have a D15B1 intake sitting in my garage. Ran well about a year ago. Are you sure it's an A1 and not a B1? A1 is from 3rd gen Civics and CRXs where the D15B series is from the 4th gens? I'm not a honda Guru, but I have messed around with the 4th gens a little bit.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/23/15 1:00 p.m.

If it makes you feel any better, you are not even close to the first guy to get pissed at Honda over their permanent TPS situation. Lord knows we ain't smart enough to adjust it to .5 volts at closed throttle...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sqbnIrY3oJeGu0PwGltTL6X0qKsNnxzti3vrXNQ8aULHMh7mMe5WR1olp6nqJu2R