kaw550
kaw550 New Reader
1/17/10 3:56 p.m.

I had been looking for a 944 project but have recently started to look at 928's.

How do I identify what engine is in the car? Is there any way to confirm if it is an "S"? Is there any way to determine if it a European spec car?

Is there anything I should watch out for? What are the big maintenance issues?

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
1/17/10 5:00 p.m.

there is a 928 thread down a page or so. i think there is also a teach me thread on the board as well, if you use the search feature. otherwise you can find alot of information on wikipedia as well on the 928...

Andrew

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/17/10 5:52 p.m.

I have a friend who is autocrossing an (IIRC) 79 928. transmission syncros have been a problem for him.

Also I have heard multiple reports about 928's being moneypits in general.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
1/17/10 6:17 p.m.

I took 10 minutes and searched for you, and found some on and off grm links for you.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/928-a-pos/7771/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/porsche-928/17371/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-928s/15371/page1/

http://www.wolfeden.org/928S4/buying.php

http://www.928s4vr.com/shark.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_928

Andrew

kaw550
kaw550 New Reader
1/17/10 6:57 p.m.

Thanks for the links I ran a couple of google searches and didnt find much. As soon as I posted I found the other thread.

kaw550
kaw550 New Reader
1/17/10 7:09 p.m.

That stuff is intimidating.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
1/17/10 7:25 p.m.

I think if you want one as a street car, you should buy the cleanest example you can afford. They are extremely complicated cars so you want one that's been taken care of.

They make excellent track cars and are very reliable after you remove a few complicated systems

We have a '78 5-speed sunroof delete that's stripped for HPDE and time trials. The engine bay is a bit cramped, but the CIS mechanical injection is extremely reliable and shares some parts with vw/audi cars of the same vintage.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Reader
1/17/10 9:36 p.m.

There a few crazies tracking 928's, hell there's even a solid group of people who supercharge them. These cars however naturally lean more towards being a GT than a performance car. You can make em jump, but not without some work.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
1/18/10 1:54 p.m.
kaw550 wrote: I had been looking for a 944 project but have recently started to look at 928's. How do I identify what engine is in the car? Is there any way to confirm if it is an "S"? Is there any way to determine if it a European spec car? Is there anything I should watch out for? What are the big maintenance issues?

If you really want to get in to running a 928 go to rennlist.com

They have a nice 928 area and you can get alot of help there from guys that do alot with these cars.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/18/10 3:30 p.m.

I'm kind of curious...

It seems MOST of what I read about the problems with these cars are the complex (and in my mind, unnecessary) systems failing.

Are these cars hackable? As in how hard would it be to keep one running with a Jeg/Summit catalogue full of aftermarket parts?

Is the A/C system such that one could go manual controls if wanted? Is the cooling system a typical german mess...or is it fine stock? If it's a mess, can it be simplified and still work? That is to say, can it be pared down to a simple cooling system (Think radiator, heater core, block, water pump, hoses)?

I guess, "restomod" is the term they're using in the muscle car circles.

Can a guy buy a deferred maintenance example and cheaply maintain it without keeping it "stock"?

It doesn't seem like there's a purist movement about these cars...they're so expensive they have no value, it seems.

Clem

scott944
scott944 None
1/18/10 6:52 p.m.

Joe beat me to it - rennlist is your friend. Now, if your search turns back to 944's...I just posted mine in the classified forum.

snipes
snipes Reader
1/18/10 7:27 p.m.

had fun with a google search because all threads need pictures ttp://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/31/31039/folders/15033/769212012Porsche928.jpg" />

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
1/19/10 9:56 a.m.

I really like 928s, especially for touring, but they are complicated machines for their age, and there is a reason they are so cheap. Most of the 3rd, 4th owners etc. totally neglected their maintenance, and getting one back into shape is very expensive. Of course this applies to all Porsches.

If you want something that fast, I think the 944 Turbo is a lot more fun to drive, but again, read above as it still applies. I loved my 944 Turbo, but not so much autocrossing it. You have to drag and haul it around the course by the scruff of its neck, and I prefer a much more scalpel like approach. On track though it was a totally different story.

Again, condition is everything and then some with these cars if you plan on keeping your wallet, house, children and small pets.

kaw550
kaw550 New Reader
1/19/10 8:37 p.m.

From what I have read the 944 seems to have more mechanical concerns (clutch, timing belt, water pump, etc). Does the 928 have the same issues?

I am not looking for a show car, just something that seats four and is fun to drive.

I

924guy
924guy Dork
1/19/10 8:50 p.m.
kaw550 wrote: From what I have read the 944 seems to have more mechanical concerns (clutch, timing belt, water pump, etc). Does the 928 have the same issues? I am not looking for a show car, just something that seats four and is fun to drive. I

short answer, Yes...

the 928 and the 944 engines are very, very similar in design, the 28 just has four more cylinders...

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Reader
1/19/10 9:32 p.m.

IIRC all Porsche engines from that time are Interference engines where if the timing belt goes, the valves won't clear the cylinder heads. Which means being a little late on the timing belt has the potential to destroy the engine. I don't think you could fix all the electric problems without dumping a ton of cash, but I'm sure it's been done.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
1/20/10 8:51 a.m.

They have a lot more electrical issues if I remember than the 944 also, and my 944 had plenty.

An interesting side note, years ago a buddy had a 928 and had a local stereo shop install a new system for him. Well, they drilled through something important and although they tried to repair it, it was never right again. Don't now all the details, but it was amusing to see what wasn't going to work between trips.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
1/20/10 9:08 a.m.

928's are more complex than a 944 or a 944 Turbo.

Still fine cars, but different animals. Remember a cheap Porsche can get expensive pretty fast. If you get a 928 make sure you spend time on Rennlist to understand what you are getting into.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gMqnEM611UGSJyi6Qda0hdzmTeaIyUlNEluxIi5DW9JWVZu0AmHG2HIO74dclkFf